Proposal: Time Gold

Phoenix8008

First Post
I agree that time GP is a needed facet to complement the time XP system. Especially along with spending DM credits to get XP and GP together.

For my adventures, I was thinking of flavoring the future time GP as profits that the crew will gain from trading done by the Captain of the Bloody Wake. So anywhere they go on their adventures he does some trading if possible and they get their shares of the profit at the end of the adventure (or whenever time XP and GP are given out).

Luckily for me, I seem to have a fairly stable group and plan on trying to keep that group stable and continue with them for as many consecutive adventures as possible. This will alleviate some of the problems normally associated with shared worlds like L4E. I already have ideas for a third adventure for the MMC and I hope that I can keep them together to simplify my life as DM.

garyh said:
Thinking about this a bit more, here's a comparison...

Hrav is level 4. If he was made at level 4 to start, he'd have items of levels 5, 4, and 3, and the GP of a level 3 item (680 GP).

He, in fact, has items of levels 5 and 4, and 381 GP. So, converting that missing level 3 recommended item to gold, he should have 5 and 4, and 1,360 GP, and is short 979 GP.

If he was awarded the Time XP GP amount LS calculated, 1,143 GP, he'd have items 5 and 4, and 1,524 GP.

That actually works out REALLY close to the recommended amount of treasure!
If this works out this well and this simply, I'd vote for this if I could. It sounds good to me!

covaithe

Explorer
I don't think that players selling items to other players is a problem, for two reasons.

First, in LEW, player trading has been going on for years, without any noticeable imbalance in the economy. Granted, selling items for cash was more a part of the game in 3.5 than it is in 4e, and the potential instability was less. But still, it never materialized.

Second, again, DMs need to be aware of the wealth their players have, and adjust their rewards accordingly. It doesn't really matter how they got their items.

Third, if there is an imbalance created, it will be in favor of weaker characters. That is, it will help lower level characters close the gap with higher level characters more quickly. Which isn't a bad thing, IMO.

Ok, so that was three reasons, not two. Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
Alright then, I propose that when time XP is awarded (and when DM credits are exchanged for XP) it be accompanied by the amount of gold indicated on the table below according to the character's level.

(The numbers should equal [(monetary treasure + value of magic items)/5]/12. If someone wants to check my numbers that would be appreciated.)

Level 1: 63 gp/month
Level 2: 89 gp/month
Level 3: 127 gp/month
Level 4: 175 gp/month
Level 5: 233 gp/month
Level 6: 313 gp/month
Level 7: 447 gp/month
Level 8: 633 gp/month
Level 9: 873 gp/month
Level 10: 1167 gp/month
(and so on)

Last edited:

garyh

First Post
I vote YES, with the addition that any DM Credits exchanged for XP (1 DM credit equals 1 month of time XP) is accompanied by a like amount of Time GP.

Also, the DM credit GP shall retroactive for the last week. :)

KenHood

First Post
I thought DM credits counted as TWO months of XP.

---

Also...

If you guys could go ahead and approve this before the big fight in the Closed Eye, it would be...*ahem*...helpful.

covaithe

Explorer
KenHood obliquely raises an important point, which is, does this apply retroactively to time XP that has already been awarded? What about time XP that has been earned, but not yet awarded?

Either answer causes imbalance; if it does apply retroactively, the old fogies like Quagmire who are pretty close to their expected wealth will end up richer than expected. If it doesn't, other characters.. Well, I don't actually know of any off the top of my head, but surely there are some characters that would get screwed by that.

I imagine that having it apply retroactively will be the popular option, but I, uh, might be biased.

Phoenix8008

First Post
I'd say applying it retroactively where needed would be fine. For the MMC I awarded all the treasure they should have according to their XP, so they wouldn't need adjusted other than for Hrav who advanced another level via time XP from DM credits.

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
Hmm ... I'm in favor of not rewarding time gold retroactively, at least in general. It might be worth letting older characters create a proposal to bring them in line with the wealth they should have, if they need it. Thoughts on that?

Moon_Goddess

Have I really been on this site for over 20 years!
I'd like to get in on that proposal to bring me up to wealth then,

Larinza has just a little over 100 gp
74 gp worth of starting equipment
and 13 javelins, and she's level 2

Remove ads