Proposal: Unique familiar for Ts'iri

elecgraystone

First Post
Howdy everyone. Ts'iri just leveled up and I've been looking into getting a familiar. However, I'd like it to do something not in the rules. Nothing earth shattering or anything, Just some things that would fit better for her and open up some roleplaying options.

#1 Allow him to speak normally, not only in a language only we can understand.

#2 Remove his active mode, making him physically bound to her. This means he loses his active ability and also means he can't use abilities and feats requiring active mode.

Questions and comments? Especially you Mal Malenkirk, since we're still in the middle of your game.

EDIT: Covaithe asked to see what it's stats would look like so I thought I should post them here too.

book imp
Speed: 0 [bound to Ts'iri, unable to move]
Constant Benefits: +2 arcana & History, Gain Supernal and resist fire 5, able to speak.
Active Benefits: none [unable to take active mode]

Last edited:

Fragsie

Explorer
I thought there was a familiar that could talk one language, i think it's the raven, though i might be wrong, couldn't you just re-skin that familiar (change the fluff, keep the rules)?

elecgraystone

First Post
No familiar can talk in passive mode. Even the parrot and raven, which can speak all your languages, get struck dumb as soon as they land on your shoulder. Since I don't plan on ever having mine in active mode, reskinning a parrot/raven doesn't get me a talking familiar.

elecgraystone

First Post
Well, before commenting, I gotta do some reading on familiars. I just glossed over them in Arcane Power.
That's what I was doing the last few days and there where a few things that I didn't like how they worked and/or didn't understand why they work that way. Once you read up, let me know and I'll PM you with what I'd like to do in the adventure with my familiar.

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
Well, I don't see the big fuss about having a familiar that can speak normally. It's pretty much an extension of the character anyway. He wouldn't be throwing around ideas that the player couldn't have fielded through his PC anyway, for example. I don't even see why you should gimp him by taking away active mode.

I have a hard time seeing a game advantage. I guess it could allow the player of an unconscious PC to keep communicating IC with his team mates through the familiar... But few DM disallow OOC discussion of tactics anyway.

I think the restriction was mostly put in place with live play at the gaming table in mind. I don't know about you, but I don't want to see one of my player do a poor man's ventriloquist's act at my table... In a PbP, on the other hand, I see no problem.

You can PM me your ideas, Elec.

Last edited:

elecgraystone

First Post
Well I can see an issue with active familiars. You can have your raven/parrot fly through a window, cell door, sewer, ect and communicate with people you should have a MUCH harder time getting to talk with. That's why i was limiting myself to passive mode. I can't see any game issue that way.

I'll put my thought together then and send them off Mal.

elecgraystone

First Post
Sure covaithe. I'm planning on starting off with a book imp (I'm an infernal warlock after all!) So she'd look like this:

Constant Benefits: +2 arcana & History, Gain Supernal and resist fire 5, able to speak.

Trading an invisible scout [it's active benefit normally] for speaking in my space sounded pretty balanced to me.

Last edited:

TwoHeadsBarking

First Post
Sure covaithe. I'm planning on starting off with a book imp (I'm an infernal warlock after all!) So she'd look like this:

Constant Benefits: +2 arcana & History, Gain infernal and resist fire 5, able to speak.

Trading an invisible scout [it's active benefit normally] for speaking in my space sounded pretty balanced to me.

Supernal, not Infernal.

Remove ads