Proposed Power: Gadgets (from UP)

Hand of Vecna

First Post
As with Device, Gadgets gives you 5 power points per rank to create these items, and you can split your points among multiple Devices, if desired. Changing your Gadget points around is a standard action and lasts until you choose to change them again.

The cost of Gadgets depends on how easily they can be taken away from you.
* If your gadgets are easy to lose (can be taken away with a successful disarm) then the power is 6 points per rank. An example of this would be a single reconfigurable easy-to-lose gadget.
* If they’re hard to lose (can only be taken away from you while you’re helpless), the power is 7 points per rank. Examples of this would be a suit of power armor with lots of variable configurations, or a utility belt-like collection of a near-limitless number of easy-to-lose devices (the individual devices may be easy to lose, but to take them all away would require more than a successful disarm).

D.Shaffer

First Post
Considering 'Gadgets' is just a variable pool version of Device, you might be better off just putting in a proposal for Variable, at which point this becomes superfluous. Even without Variable, you can make a pretty good replacement with just Devices, using Shapeshift as its main power and the appropriate limits. (Since Shapeshift is just Variable with window dressing to begin with)

Rystil Arden

First Post
Bront said:
I'm not sure I like the "Standard Action to change" pool.
Variable in general seems pretty powerful compared to other options. I know that now that I see it, it would be a hugely more efficient use of Magus's points on the Magic in the staff to just claim that he has Variable Magic--it's much more powerful than his current ability array because it gives him all magic in existence, and it would cost less.

Hand of Vecna

First Post
Bront said:
I'm not sure I like the "Standard Action to change" pool.
As was said, it's basically Shapeshift with the Device flaw(s) tacked on. (Actually, it's slower, since per UP Shapeshift is now only a Move action to change.)

And I don't really see a need to put up a proposal for Variable, since several powers based on it (Adaptation, Animal Mimicry, Mimic, Nemesis, and Object Mimicry) are already allowed.

Last edited:

Velmont

First Post
Shapeshift with the device flaw... you could simply buy the shapeshift power with the device power too, you explain that you have a belt of device and you don't even need to make a new approval.

Most power in UP are simple implicit power in the basic book.

Hand of Vecna

First Post
Velmont said:
Shapeshift with the device flaw... you could simply buy the shapeshift power with the device power too, you explain that you have a belt of device and you don't even need to make a new approval.
True, but I still like being able to call it "Gadgets." Yes, mechanically they're almost exactly the same (though Gadgets doesn't let you shift around ability score points like Shapeshift does), but I feel there is enough of a distinction to warrant a Proposal.

Velmont said:
Most power in UP are simple implicit power in the basic book.
They all are, I believe -- which was kinda the point of UP ;)

Velmont

First Post
I see no problem with that power, but before putting my vote, I would like a clear and simple description of the power. Here one, if there is something different, tell me.

Gadget
Effect: Variable
Action: Standard Action
Duration: Continuous
Save: None
Cost: See power description
Mechanic: Act as Shapeshift, with a device flaw and with one extra limitation: the character cannot redistribute his physical attributes. This power can cost 7 PP per rank or 6 PP per rank, depending on the difficulty of losing the device.

Gadget [7PP/rank]
This can represent one hard to lose device (A multi-function power armor), or an array of easy to lose item, but that must be disarm one by one, with their holder that is hard to lose (Utlilty Belt).

Gadget [6PP/rank]
This can represent one easy to lose multi-function item (A lamp containing a wish granting Djinn).

Last edited:

Remove ads