Proposed Wager with DracoSuave - Blurred Step

Camelot

Adventurer
I don't remember off the top of my head which races are in the first essentials, and I'm too lazy to look it up, so I'll just guess all the PH1 ones.

Dragonborn: +2 Str, +2 Con/Cha
Dwarf: +2 Con, +2 Str/Wis (though this would be what I'd do in an initial release; you might be right about the feat things, and Int would be my second choice)
Eladrin: +2 Int, +2 Dex/Cha
Elf: +2 Dex, +2 Str/Wis
Half-Elf: +2 Cha, +2 Con/Wis
Halfling: +2 Dex, +2 Int/Cha
Human: no change
Tiefling: +2 Int, +2 Con/Cha

I also have guesses for the rest of the PH races, and I even thought about the monster races before. But we shall see!

Then I'll add:

Drow: +2 Cha, +2 Dex/Int
Half-Orc: +2 Str, +2 Con/Dex

keterys

First Post
Which classes are you referring too? In any case, the Fighter and warden would be particularly nasty; that minor (and solid) second wind is really nice for a warden, and for a fighter, there's dwarf-only feats in addition to the very powerful DWT and the obvious advantage of a minor-action second wind for a defender.

Battlemind is the really easy example, of course. New Warpriest. You also see it with things like Warlock - Eldritch Strike.

And, yes, dwarf wardens would get better. Yep.

Designing a class under the assumption that no class will ever use its primary stats for melee attacks is just silly, and yet it's something they did with dwarves. Bad call there, now to see how things clean up.

eamon

Explorer
Battlemind is the really easy example, of course. New Warpriest. You also see it with things like Warlock - Eldritch Strike.

And, yes, dwarf wardens would get better. Yep.
Right, but they knew about the dwarf when they designed the battlemind - they explicitly suggest it. So, presumably, they can tweak the design to avoid things getting out of hand.

On the other hand, dwarves get special feats + features that help compensate for poor stats to be able to play fighters & wardens well. So if they retroactively permit a primary ability score alignment, well, not only do they get great stat alignment (many races have that for some class), they also get these beyond-the-normal feats+features.

Designing a class under the assumption that no class will ever use its primary stats for melee attacks is just silly, and yet it's something they did with dwarves. Bad call there, now to see how things clean up.
They didn't assume the primary stats would never align -just not for fighters and wardens.

I'm talking about Dwarf Stoneblood, Devoted Challenge, and the warden's natural appreciation of a minor action second wind.

Remove ads