• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Protection From Evil discrepancy

Xahn'Tyr

First Post
From the SRD, concerning Protection from Evil:
the spell prevents bodily contact by summoned or conjured creatures. This causes the natural weapon attacks of such creatures to fail and the creatures to recoil if such attacks require touching the warded creature. Good elementals and outsiders are immune to this effect.

and concerning Protection from Good

As protection from evil, except that the deflection and resistance bonuses apply to attacks from good creatures, and good summoned or conjured creatures cannot touch the subject.

So my question: What happens if a summoned Lawful Neutral creature takes a swing at one of these?

My first reaction would be to say, "nothing, because in the first case he is not evil; and in the second case he is not good". But reading the spell descriptions carefully, what would really happen is this:

Versus the Protection from Evil, the LN creature would be repelled because only Good elementals and outsiders are immune to this effectp. In fact, even a good conjured creature that is not an elemental or outsider would be repelled!

Versus the Protection from Good, the LN creature would NOT be repelled because it only applies to good summoned or conjured creatures. Which makes sense.

My point? Mainly that Protection from Evil needs some erratta so that it matches up with the other spells. As it stands, Protection from Evil is far better at keeping summoned creatures at bay than it's counterparts are.

Remove ads