• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Protection from Evil vs. Charm Effects

Quasqueton

First Post
Does protection from evil protect against charm effects? The specific situation my group is asking about is vs. a harpy's singing.

I'm not real sure, myself.

Relevant quote from the SRD:
Second, the barrier blocks any attempt to possess the warded creature (by a magic jar attack, for example) or to exercise mental control over the creature (including enchantment (charm) effects and enchantment (compulsion) effects that grant the caster ongoing control over the subject, such as dominate person). The protection does not prevent such effects from targeting the protected creature, but it suppresses the effect for the duration of the protection from evil effect.

Quasqueton

Since the harpy's song is described as a "charm", then, yes, I would rule that as long as the Protection from Evil is in effect, the character protected is not affected by the Captivating song.

AR

Thanee

First Post
Actually, Protection from Evil doesn't help against all charms.

It only helps against a very specific subset of charms, which allow an ongoing control over the subject (i.e. Dominate Person, but not Charm Person).

The Harpy's Captivating Song might be seen as such, tho.

Bye
Thanee

Last edited:

Skinwalker

First Post
By the description given, I read it to mean it doesn't protect from the actual Charm effect, but does prevent the Cherm-er from exerting mental influence until after the Protection spell ends. Not a true counter, but at least a temporary reprieve.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads