Protection from Petrification

Geoff Watson

First Post
Trainz said:
I put the save DC at 36, according to the Paragon template rules (+13 on the critter's main power or somesuch).

The standard medusa's gaze DC is 15, +13 = 28. Giving them DC 36 would make them quite dangerous to an unprepared party.

Their first fight: 4 PC's (Minotaur fighter, Cleric, Sorceror, Rogue), 2 medusas.

3 are sleeping, the priest is on watch. The medusas approach silently in the night, surprising the priest. Priest is petrified. The medusas CDG the sleeping rogue and sorceror. Fighter awakes and fights...

...barely manages to win the fight. It came THAT close to being a TPK.

The other fights were better (now that the PC's knew who the critters were, they were prepared).

But you're right, supressing the petrification would destroy the challenge and just give free XP to the PC's. I won't help them further.

Thanks for all the input !

I'm surprised the rogue didn't hear them despite being asleep, it's only -10 on Listen checks. I'm also surprised that they didn't have any other defences if they weren't in a safe area.

Hong said:
Er, no.

"A creature with a gaze attack can actively gaze as an attack action by choosing a target within range. That opponent must attempt a saving throw but can try to avoid this as described above [averting eyes, being blind]." -- MM, p.309

Well, that'll make them really easy to beat. Blindfolds and a few blindsight spells, and they'll be a cakewalk.

Geoff.

hong

WotC's bitch
Geoff Watson said:
Well, that'll make them really easy to beat. Blindfolds and a few blindsight spells, and they'll be a cakewalk.

Well, that's more of a problem with the blindsight spell, really.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Fighting in total darkness with blindfighting would have almost the same effect. Gaze effects are really nasty, but if you know you're up against a gazing monster, the creature in question should be significantly easier.

Contrarily, monsters with gaze attacks should make use of tactics which work when their targets can't see them.

And the real problem with blindsight (and tremorsense and the like) is that it trumps hide. That just plain sucks.

Trainz

Explorer
Geoff Watson said:
The standard medusa's gaze DC is 15, +13 = 28. Giving them DC 36 would make them quite dangerous to an unprepared party.
You forgot to take into account the +15 increase to Cha. Else, it ain't a CR 22 critter.

I'm surprised the rogue didn't hear them despite being asleep, it's only -10 on Listen checks. I'm also surprised that they didn't have any other defences if they weren't in a safe area.
Funny that you mention this. The rogue did indeed miss his listen check (paragon medusas have very high skill bonuses), but the sorceror forgot to cast his Alarm spell before going to sleep. Oops. Huge oops. The player was figuratively beating his head on the table.

Two True Resurrects and 50,000 g.p. later, they were back on track. Lesson learned the hard way.

Darklone

Saeviomagy said:
And the real problem with blindsight (and tremorsense and the like) is that it trumps hide. That just plain sucks.
Yeah. Time for houserules. A +20 bonus to spot and listen checks would be ok I guess instead of canceling all that stuff...

Last edited:

Remove ads