• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Protection from Zone of Truth

Rils

Explorer
As mentioned above, the best defense is to talk around it. Just because you can only speak the truth doesn't mean you have to spill your deepest secrets. [MENTION=6775477]Shiroiken[/MENTION] has some great ideas - circle speak, answering questions with questions, changing the topic, simply keeping your mouth shut - it drives players crazy. :)

Chaosmancer

Legend
As mentioned above, the best defense is to talk around it. Just because you can only speak the truth doesn't mean you have to spill your deepest secrets. [MENTION=6775477]Shiroiken[/MENTION] has some great ideas - circle speak, answering questions with questions, changing the topic, simply keeping your mouth shut - it drives players crazy. :)

Unfortunately it does also tend to more extreme versions of questioning, or declaring you guilty because you are obviously trying to hide things and avoid the questions.

Being genre-saavy is difficult to beat

Suggestion, also a 2nd level spell, seems superior in so many ways. "I suggest you answer my questions immediately and truthfully with yes or no." Though only the Bard can take either spell.

The Old Crow

Explorer
Another option is to hire a new second in command, feed him a bunch of false information that he totally buys, and then take a short vacation while he totally handles those pesky inquisitive adventurers on the doorstep.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Out of curiosity [-]my BBEG[/-] - asking for a friend - would like to know what you think is the most easily available protection from this pesky Zone of Truth spell the opposing cleric prepares tomorrow...

(It would be swell if it were available on short notice... I do not have much time to prepare. They are already on my doorstep!)

The best defense is an agenda that isn't necessarily spoiled by the PCs knowing the truth about your agenda.

Remember, the adventure isn't over just because the plan is revealed. There's still the matter of what to DO about it. So if anything, the zone of truth should be helpful to you as DM to get your exposition out there so the players can have their characters go forth and adventure.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
What's the social situation? Is your friend of a higher social rank? If so, have him be insulted by the characters and throw them out.

Does the party have authority to use magic compulsion in their investigation? If not, have your friend become insulted and call the authorities.

What's the downside of refusing to meet with the party? If lower than risking a ZoT, refuse to deal with rude people casting magical compulsions in your home and leave. If the party threatens, inform the authorities.

In general, if there's any kind of society that this is taking place in, it's probably not a cool move to barge into someone's home and cast compulsions on them. At best it's extremely rude, at worst it's illegal. Depending on the social standing of your friend, that can cause a great deal of trouble for the party.

Sorry, I tend to approach things like this by not allowing a murder-hobo approach -- characters don't exist outside of the society they're in. I go for a light touch -- it is a game of heroes and not of learning about how disproportionate social structures work -- but I draw the line at obviously rude behavior or being allow to use magic as a simple shortcut unless it's often used that way by the society. If everyone always expects the [-]Spanish Inquisition[/-] ZoT, fine, but I like it when no one does.

"Fetch the Comfy Chair!"

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads