• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Protection vs. Debuffing.

irdeggman

First Post
EDIT: I noticed that Reactive Counterspell is in Magic of Faerun, does that mean I have to ask my DM first because Faerun is a specific region?

It is not a region it is a "setting".

So unless you are playing in a Forgotten Realms setting game then yes you must ask permission to import a spell.

Sort of like looking at the Eberron game and importing a Kalashtar or a dragon mark feat - all setting specific.

I am surprised if your DM doesn't make you ask before bringing in new spells (i.e., those not in the PHB) in the first place. Every DM I have played with requires the player to present the new spell to him before he allows it in. Even if it is only so that the DM can "understand" what the spell does in the first place. Sometimes the DM will give a "blanket" inclusion if he already has the source and understands it.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Even if a Warlock could counterspell with invocations (which I wouldn't mind), Improved Counterspell requires the spell be of the same school and at least one level higher. It is very unlikely the Warlock wit hhis few invocations can meet these requirements. Especially spell level. IME, Warlock invocations tend to lag with their level for the effective spell level for much of the game.

Road_Runner

First Post
Ok, so it looks like Improved Counterspell would NOT work with invocations even if they worked as a specific arcane spell, but I guess I could still use Divine Defiance with Voracious Dispelling or Caster's Lament.

Right?

Anton85

First Post
You know, the other option is to just not make yourself annoying with tons of buffs. DMM can be pretty cheesey if abused, so dont abuse it just use it a enough to have fun. Talk with your DM and ask at what point is this going to be a problem.

This is a much simpler solution then getting into an escalating war with your DM and it has a much higher possibility of success.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads