• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Protections for a high level wizard?

Kaledor

First Post
Thanee said:
IIRC you can enchant your robes with armor enchantments, so +1 (required) death ward, moderate fortification robes could be cool.

Not to snag the thread but does anyone have a reference on this?
There are some great armor enhancements that I would love to add to a set of robes that my wizard makes! I haven't come across the ruling, but that doesn't mean much :)

Infiniti2000

First Post
Kaledor, I believe the Arms and Equipment Guide has such a ruling. At least my players who own it told me as much. I don't have it, though, so I can't confirm it.

Delemental

First Post
Kaledor said:
There are some great armor enhancements that I would love to add to a set of robes that my wizard makes! I haven't come across the ruling, but that doesn't mean much :)

I don't think the rules explicitly say anywhere "you can enchant clothing like armor". Where most people get the idea is from the magic vestment spell.

Magic Vestment
Transmutation
Level: Clr 3, Strength 3, War 3
Components: V, S, DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Armor or shield touched
Duration: 1 hour/level
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless, object)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless, object)

You imbue a suit of armor or a shield with an enhancement bonus of +1 per four caster levels (maximum +5 at 20th level).

An outfit of regular clothing counts as armor that grants no AC bonus for the purpose of this spell.

Emphasis mine. It's really going to be up to your DM whether they allow the "clothing is armor with no bonus" statement to apply generally, or only for the purposes of the spell.

The Arms and Equipment Guide does have rules for adding armor special abilities (like Fortification) to Bracers of Armor. I don't remember rules in it for enchanting clothing, though I've not looked at the book in a while.

Thanee

First Post
If not, you can definitely use Thistledown padded armor [RotW]. :)

And, dcollins, Detect Scrying is really somewhat redundant with Mind Blank.

Bye
Thanee

Thanee

First Post
Blacklight [FRCS/MoF/PGtF?] is also a nifty spell for Contingency.
Only few have blindsense/-sight or can see in truely dark magical darkness.

Bye
Thanee

Delemental said:
I don't think the rules explicitly say anywhere "you can enchant clothing like armor". Where most people get the idea is from the magic vestment spell.

And, I'd imagine, things like:

SRD said:
Robe of the Archmagi: This normal-appearing garment can be white (01–45 on d%, good alignment), gray (46–75, neither good nor evil alignment), or black (76–100, evil alignment). Its wearer, if an arcane spellcaster, gains the following powers.
• +5 armor bonus to AC.
• Spell resistance 18.
• +4 resistance bonus on all saving throws.
• +2 enhancement bonus on caster level checks made to overcome spell resistance.
If a white robe is donned by an evil character, she immediately gains three negative levels. The reverse is true with respect to a black robe donned by a good character. An evil or good character who puts on a gray robe, or a neutral character who dons either a white or black robe, gains two negative levels. While these negative levels never result in lost levels, they remain as long as the garment is worn and cannot be overcome in any way (including restoration spells).
Strong varied; CL 14th; Craft Wondrous Item, antimagic field, mage armor or shield of faith, creator must be of same alignment as robe; Price 75,000 gp;Weight 1 lb.

The Arms and Equipment Guide included suggestions for placing armor enhancements into Bracers of Armor, so placing them into robes is a pretty easy extension to make.

dcollins

Explorer
Thanee said:
And, dcollins, Detect Scrying is really somewhat redundant with Mind Blank.

Yeah, at 15th level I really wouldn't want to commit my one-and-only 8th level slot to mind blank all the time. Furthermore, detect scrying helps if your allies/party members are being scried on. :)

dcollins

Explorer
Kaledor said:

There's no such reference, because there's no rule like that. Sounds like it's common House Rule (in the same vein as arbitrary magic item invention via Variant: New Magic Items in DMG).

Remove ads