Protections from the Blasphemy spell ?

Trainz

Explorer
Some of you might remember the Greater Balor I posted in the House Rules forum. http://www.enworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=73656 I created it for my level 35 solo epic game. It has caster level 50.

One thing I forgot: the thing has Blasphemy at will. Meaning that any creature in the radius of 40th level or less dies, no save. The PC has SR 40, which the Balor automatically overcomes.

What do I do ? I want to leave the Balor at CR 35. Are there ways a single fighter PC who has one level of cleric can protect himself against the Blasphemy ?

Are there clerical spells or magic items that immunes against Blasphemy ?

Hey Trainz,

Doesn't Silence protect against Sonic attacks? Then your Fighter with a level of Cleric only needs a wand of Silence and the Balor can't hurt him (with Blasphemy anyways)

AR

James McMurray

First Post
House rule that Blasphemy and its cousins allow a will save to negate. Its about the only fix for those spells. With an ioun stone, a level of Heirophant, and a Bead of Kharma anyone can almost automatically kill or at least royally screw any opponent they face that isn't more powerful than they are.

Without a change PCs can use it to take out hordes of opposing creatures, and NPCs can use it to take out hordes of opposing PCs.

Trainz

Explorer
Altamont Ravenard said:
Hey Trainz,

Doesn't Silence protect against Sonic attacks? Then your Fighter with a level of Cleric only needs a wand of Silence and the Balor can't hurt him (with Blasphemy anyways)

AR
What if my Fighter is deaf ? Would he still be affected by Blasphemy ?

Because Silence can de dispelled by the Balor: not deafness.

Forget that: my fighter uses Heal profusively, it would negate his deafness (cure him)...

Last edited:

Silence protects from Sonic attacks.

Blasphemy affects creatures even though they can't hear the sound. Deafness would then not protect the fighter from the spell. A creature without an auditory organ would also be affected by a Blasphemy spell.

AR

Trainz

Explorer
Wand of Silence it is then. However, he would need it fabricated by a 40th level caster, so that it can't be dispelled by a Greater Dispel (except on a roll of 20).

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Use 3E Blasphemy as written, and there's no problem.

(Not the "It doesn't actually mean what it says it means" version from the 3E FAQ, and not the 3.5 No-save-you're-dead version.)

-Hyp.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Altamont Ravenard said:
only when used by casters of insanely high level :)

Not really. 3.5 Blasphemy-at-will means either a/ you have more hit dice than the caster level, or b/ you have good SR, or c/ you're evil, or d/ the caster's ally will destroy you at his leisure.

He doesn't need an insanely high level to keep you dazed indefinitely; only a caster level as high as your hit dice.

-Hyp.

Remove ads