• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

PS3 a worthwhile purchase?

Felon

First Post
So, Sony's finally gotten around to dropping prices on the PS3. You can get one with a 120GB HD for $299, and they're even offering some 40GB refurbs for $250. Good for them.

This would be a no-brainer purchase for me if I hadn't recently sprung for a HTiB with a Blue-ray player, but alas I did and now I'm wondering what the PS3 has to offer me. There's only a couple of standout PS3 games that spring to my mind (Little Big Planet and MGS4). Does the Sony offer any other features that hedge out the Xbox?

drothgery

First Post
Nope. If you've got a 360 and a Blu-Ray player, the only reason to get a PS3 is if there are multiple PS3 exclusives you've just got to have.

fba827

Adventurer
PS3 has free online play.... if you're in to that sort of thing.

but really, there aren't that many exclusives to the ps3, so unless there is an exclusive that you really want (and since you already have a blueray and 360) I don't think you'd get much value from having it.

Edit: some of the games do have slightly enhanced graphics on a ps3 (compared to a 360). But (unless you're really in to graphics), my personal opinion is that this alone isn't enough to make it "worth it"

Last edited:

John Crichton

First Post
If it's not going to break the bank I think there are enough exclusives to make it a worthwhile buy at this point. You mentioned two games already and I'd add Uncharted (and most likely the upcoming sequel), inFamous, Valkyria Chronicles come immediately to mind. There are also a few of the DLC games that are pretty good. Pixeljunk's Monsters is quite fun, for example.

But yeah, the 360 certainly has the better variety and exclusives right now.

Mallus

Legend
It's harder to recommend a PS3 if you already have Blu-ray --the PS3 is one of, if not the, best and most affordable players on the market, why didn't you build a home theater around it??!-- but, like people said, there are good games for it that you can't get on the XBox.

Let me add: Ratchet and Clank (+ upcoming sequel), Wipeout HD (download), Flower (download), Superstar HD (download), and The Last Guardian (upcoming semi-sequel to Ico and Shadow of the Colossus).

The PSN has some really strong titles.

Ron

Explorer
I have a PS3 and a Wii and I am very satisfied with both of them. I considered buying a XBox 360 by the time it was released but I gave up because of Microsoft's poor record in quality control, lack of wireless built-in, lack of a blu-ray player, and limited free online support.

Even considering you have a blu-ray player, I would still recommend the PS3 over the 360. Sony's products are much more better built than Microsoft's, and, in the case of videogames, this is pretty obvious. Additionally, the reason why you may want a console is the game library. Both systems share the same third party games and most of them are roughly the same, although some 360 versions look slightly better. However, this is not true in relation to the exclusives. Most PS3's exclusives look much better than the 360's. Additionally, PS3's exclusives are more numerous and cover a higher variety of genres.

In the end, I would recommend you to check out both platform exclusives and find out which games you would be more interested in playing.

Orius

Legend
PS3's strong point in my view are the built in Blu-ray player, the free online gaming, and the hardware built into the system that you have to pay extra for on the 360. And the fact that every other PS3 doesn't end up getting the Red Ring of Death.

Downsides are that the 360 has a better overall library and better online gaming, the fact that the PS3's graphics capabilities are more or less meaningless without a HD TV, and that Sony isn't supporting backwards compatibility with the PS2 anymore.

Sytonis

First Post
God of War 3 (and if you missed the previous 2 games they will be released with updated graphics.)
Uncharted 1 & 2
M.A.G.
Killzone 2
Heavy Rain
inFamous
Final Fantasy 13 Versus
Gran Turismo 5
Meatal Gear Solid 4
White Knight Chronicles

Remove ads