• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

PS3 Madness, the State of Consoles & Digital Entertainment

BrooklynKnight

First Post
Twilight Princess is not a GC port to the Wii.

The game was developed for BOTH SYSTEMS from the get go. Why? Because Nintendo knew that not all GCN owners would be able to get a Wii and TP at launch. Those fans who needed their Zelda fix but couldn't afford or obtain a Wii would buy it for the GCN.

It doesn't draw away sales from the Wii, and simply generates MORE money.

Plus Nintendo knows damn well that people are VERY willing to pay for upgraded versions of the same thing.... (Gameboy to Gameboy Color, or Micro, DS to DS Lite). Chances are anyone who buys Zelda for GCN and gets a Wii later on might end up buying Zelda AGAIN if only to experience it with the Wii's control scheme.

This shows just how Genius Nintendo is.

Anywho. the Wii rocks..

drothgery

First Post
John Crichton said:
Sounds like the PS2, to me. There are technical advantages to both platforms from what I understand and programing was never something Sony has been a friend to. However, they do have a stranglehold on Japan which will keep games flowing to the US and people will be snatching up PS3s as they come. The real test is yet to come. The 360 is doing well but it is the only next-gen show in town.

FWIW, the original PlayStation was a simple and straightforward design that was quite easy to program for, and had no radical design elements. It's what established Sony as a major player in the console space... and they've built nothing like it since then.

Though the PS3 launch seems superficially the same as the PS2 launch, in that technical sites are slamming the hardware, it's really not the same situation at all. There was no perception that there was a 'good enough' substitue for the PS2 available (especially before the Xbox and GCN launches); a very large percentage of gamers see the Xbox 360 and/or Wii as a 'good enough' substitue for the PS3.

The PS2 launched a year later than a technically inferior but easier to program system from a competitor on very weak financial footing (Sega with the Dreamcast); it was out a year ahead of its main competition, which were a technical equivalent that was easier to program from a company with questionable commitment to non-handheld consoles (Nintendo with the GameCube), and a technically superior and easier to program machine from a company new to the console space with a questionable commitment to games (Microsoft with the Xbox).

The PS3 is launching a year later than a technically equivalent but easier to program system that's from a company in a much stronger financial position than Sony (Microsoft with the Xbox 360; also, the non-console parts of Sony have done a lot worse over the last five years), and at the same time as a technically inferior but much cheaper and much more widely available system from a competitor with a clearly defined niche market (Nintendo with the Wii).

Arnwyn

First Post
Simplicity said:
I THOUGHT about couching it with North America only. The PS3 lineup is much more appealing in Japan than in US. But... no. I think failure in the US is going to bring failure in Asia too. The XBox360 launch was unspectacular in Asia, but I've heard that things are starting to pick up for them.
Interesting, as I heard the exact opposite. IGN, for example, continues to report that the 360 continues to sell worse than the original Xbox did in Japan. No, all reports point to the most likely result that the 360 is quite dead with no chance of recovery in Japan.

BrooklynKnight said:
Twilight Princess is not a GC port to the Wii.

The game was developed for BOTH SYSTEMS from the get go. Why? Because Nintendo knew that not all GCN owners would be able to get a Wii and TP at launch. Those fans who needed their Zelda fix but couldn't afford or obtain a Wii would buy it for the GCN.
Not according to IGN's interviews with Nintendo.

You are mistaken. Zelda for the Wii is a GCN port (with the only difference being the Wii control scheme and 16:9 widescreen on the Wii version. Everything else is 100% GCN port).

The Blue Elf

First Post
I would not buy the Released version of PS3 I would wait six months untill they make a fixed version of there PS3 untill they lower the price. Already been reports PS3 had some Design Flaws and Software issues.

ShinHakkaider

Adventurer
AS someone who owns a Wii, I've got to say the criticisms of the system form people are typical. The hardcore gamers are like, where are the games? the graphics arent as good, etc, etc. BUt you know what just like hardcore Role Players theyre not thinking about introducing new people to the hobby and Wii has the possibility to do just that.

It's simply the most accessable of the three consoles in terms of play and cost. But most importantly play. My when I'm able to play the Wii Sports games with my 4 year old and my wife, that's a bonus. When for Thanksgiving, after we ate my sister in law and I played a couple of rounds of golf ( a sort that I typically have NO interest in and she's not a video gamer at all) and really enjoy ourselves. My borther in law who was less than enthused about the Wii when he heard about it had a great time playing baseball vs. my 4 year old.

It's a game that will make gamers out of the casual or non-gamers. It's interactive and fun. and that's why it will do well.

Also the only people I know who want the PS3 are a)people who want to re-sell it to make a bundle and b)hardcore gamers and yes in that order. Most of the people who I know scoff at the price and say that they'll wait until it drops to a more reasonable price point, like $300 - $350. I tell them that they'll be waiting a while...

Remove ads