• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

pseudo-Ceramic DM (Rd 1 started)

Sniktch

First Post
Yeah, I had that problem too in the last one. I eventually pasted all 4 pics onto a word doc next to each other and stared at them for about four hours before my mind clicked and I came up with an idea. I think it takes a different mindset to open yourself to all the possibilities.

HalfElfSorcerer

First Post
I typed this very soon after seeing the pictures yesterday. I guess I'll post it now after having leaving it overnight. I think it's pretty good.
----------------------
Nobody expected the wall to fall. The engineers who had built it all those decades ago were geniuses. They knew everything there was to know about walls. All those advanced diplomas and everything. But the wall fell. It was a morning in August.
Some said we had been warned. The few mystics and kabbalists and astrologers and plain old loonies left inside the wall had been releasing public statements on the 'net for the last three years. Apparently, the moon was in Taurus or someone’s tarot cards were being foreboding or something. All the pathetic vestiges of more foolish days kept predicting the fall. I guess they call it The Fall, now, with capital letters. But I’m not going to tell you the story of The Fall. I’m telling you my story.
The wall fell. There was chaos. The bricks, reinforced time and time again, lay scattered in a huge radius where the wall once was. I saw people that had been knocked unconscious [pic 3] by the bricks. At least, I hoped they were unconscious.
It was surprising how little time it took for The Others to come back in. I saw a tree spring out of nowhere on the street. It was the first tree I had seen outside a museum. I gaped along with the others, the other thousands who saw change coming.
Something primal stirred within me on the third morning after The Fall. I decided to go out beyond where the border used to be and explore. Don’t ask me why. I had no family, my old friends were in higher places than I, and my state-assigned pet (a…a dog, I think) had died. I left. The disaster workers at the border tried to stop me. They tried to remind me that no one had any idea what was out there now. I knew that. I told them someone should probably go find out.
It didn’t take long for the forest to close around me. I say that because I never really felt like I had walked into it. It just found me. I was amazed at the trees everywhere, but still, a path had appeared, seemingly at the whim of the forest. I knew the trees were one of the reasons for the wall, but they never had seemed frightening to me. I was thinking about this when I saw another reason.
A unicorn had trotted across the path. A unicorn, like from the fairy tales. It seemed impossible. It looked at me, and it looked surprised. I don’t know how I could tell it was surprised. I just knew. All of a sudden, it pricked up its ears and galloped away. I only wondered why for a moment, because the cause of its flight soon approached me on the path. A beautiful young woman had come along from nowhere, riding a creature reminiscent of a dinosaur [pic 1] – a dinosaur! They had been extinct for millions of years! Well, unless you count the Mesozoic Project a few years ago.
“You come from inside?” she asked, haltingly speaking NewWorld. I nodded that this was true. She was shocked. “So the rumors are true,” she muttered, dropping what must’ve been a false accent. The woman suddenly became businesslike. “Come with me! You have tales you should tell.”
Seeing no option, I agreed. As I walked along her strange beast of burden, she told me that her name was Taliah, and that she was a member of one of the oldest tribes of The Others.
“Tribes?” I asked.
“After NewWordOrg banished everything remotely strange to outside the wall, we quickly formed tribes. Our tribe, the Card, is mostly descended from fortune tellers, astrologers, and True Magicians.” She said True Magicians in capital letters. I could tell.
“You mean there is magic?”
She smiled. “Perhaps.” Taliah paused to consider something. Suddenly, she yanked me up onto her beast with surprising strength and shouted “Come!”
The ride was fast and furious. The dinosaur creature moved rapidly on its two legs. We were suddenly on the edge of a great crevice, with a river flowing through it. I spotted a woman standing on a ledge at the river’s edge. [pic 4] She seemed to be involved with some sort of ritual. I gasped when she leapt into the water.
“She’ll drown!” I screamed.
Taliah laughed. “That? That’s a baby river. You wait till she’s promoted to a bigger river, like the Nile. Then you can worry about drowning.”
We stopped, suddenly. I was jostled in the saddle.
“Look,” said Taliah.
“At what?”
“Look.”
I looked. I gasped. The splendor was unimaginable. The river churned through the canyon. The forest on the opposite side was magnificent. I saw strange lights hovering above one part of the forest.
“LevLights?” I asked.
“Certainly not. It’s the fey. But you’ll learn.”
I had a thousand questions, but I stopped asking my first one when Taliah started making a barely audible high-pitched screech. Deciding it would be best to remain silent, I watched the river in front of me. I saw a bat swoop down to the river and skim along the surface. [pic 2] It came up with a fish in its mouth. I smiled, and was then very surprised when it rose up in the air and swooped towards us, dropping the fish in Taliah’s hands. I realized what her squeaking was. I looked towards her, hoping for an explanation. I got one word, but it was hardly an explanation.
“Dinner.
------------------
I hope somebody thinks it's good...:)

Timothy

First Post
Just a note from a fan....

I'm just discovering the ceramic DM contests, and loving the pics and first story allready.

Ashy

First Post
I just hope all of the formatting on this does not come out all screwed up.... :p Oh well, here it goes! :D

Voices

Jang sat alone in the darkness of his apartment. It was dark for several reasons, the least of all because he could not suffer the sight of the aftermath, the sheer bedlam, which his grief-borne rage had spawned. Jang put his tear-streaked face in his palms for what must have been the one billionth time and clamped his eyes shut tightly; his jaws clenched voluntarily as he stifled the building, racking sobs.
“At least YOU can’t cry anymore…”
The mental voice that piped up this time was the weak one, the Strawboy, as Jang had come to call it; a high-pitched, piping voice that despite attempting to be positive, generally seemed to make the most disparaging comments at the most inopportune times. Comments that often left Jang feeling absolutely and undeniably worse than he had to begin with.
Then the other voice came. Its rough, gravelly bass tone would have vibrated Jang’s wisdom teeth right out of his head, had it been real. “Time fer cryin’s done. Time to do sumpfin ‘bout it.”
Jang knew that this voice, Gravelguy, as he termed it, was right this time. He had spent three whole days in this darkened apartment (a self-imposed exile) mourning for his loss; now it was high time to do…well, do something to right the wrong that had ensued. Jang fished his blue knit toboggan down from the curtain rod where it had been perching since he flung it in a fit of anger and socked it down over his short, jet black hair. Snatching his keys up from the tiny pile of fragmented glass that had once been a mirror, Jang caught a fleeting glimpse of his red, bloodshot right eye. The glimpse lasted only a nanosecond, but that one brief image summoned one similar to the fore of his sleep-deprived mind – that of another, but far more heinous, reddened, vein-streaked orb, followed by the pungent, nose-wrinkling stench of decaying flesh and the abysmally antiseptic scent of a morgue.
As he stepped out of his apartment, mindlessly closing the door behind him, Jang had that single image burning a hole in his head and a single goal burning a hole in his gut: he was going to get his son back. Like rocks in a tumbler came the resonating mental comment, “’Bout damn time.”

Jang could barely remember his great grandmother, Chi Jen, and the alluring tales she would tell of their family history and the lost past of their people. Some of his earliest and best memories were of sitting on her ample lap, the spicy smells of her herbal tea boiling on the twin-eyed stove, and looking up into the mask of brown, leathery wrinkles she used for a face. Her black eyes twinkled like the gleaming surface of her religiously polished shoes; from somewhere within the light colored, tightly tied kerchief on her head escaped a few rebellious strands of wispy, silver hair.
As a young man Jang never really knew what to think of Chi Jen’s stories of Taarva, the boy who conquered death and brought storytelling to the Mongol people, or of the brutal tests of manhood that the young men of the ancient tribes would undergo before being handed the reigns of his first mount. Even now, as an adult, the legends of the true treasures of Danzanravjaa, still lost to the world, and those of the creation of the first “howling” arrows perplexed and entranced him. It was always the stories of the demons, fearsome creatures of disease and palsy, which often took on animalistic or shamanistic forms, though, that seemed to sink most deeply into his subconscious. Jang always chided himself that it was just the simple fear that all experience in childhood when presented with such stories, but he could never fully convince himself. Whether or not he knew it, these simple children’s stories, told to him by a beloved and greatly missed ancestor, implanted in him something that he yearned for and desperately needed – something that would soon change him forever.

Like many of his family during the twentieth century, Jang felt the ever growing societal pressure to move away from the archaic stories and rituals of worship derived from his Mongol heritage. It was during this time of internal conflict, Jang was sure of it, that Strawboy saw his premier appearance on the internal stage of his mind. Having to choose between a strong and proud ancestral way of life and fitting in with his friends and classmates at the all-boy Catholic school he attended was the thing of nightmares. Strawboy was always there, his whining falsetto voice adding fuel to the conflagration searing young Jang’s soul.
“But there are NOT any horse lords anymore! Most people these days don’t even know what a saddle is, much less how to USE one! What good are the skills of hunting, tracking and riding in a world where meat is a short walk away at the grocer, HUH?” Strawboy was influential, to say the least, in the breaking of a young man’s spirit and paving the path for him to succumb to a litany of marketing, peer pressure and societal change. It was not long before Jang converted to Catholicism, throwing himself into the church full bore, trying to silence the irksome voice within his mind.
It was during this time of his extreme involvement in the church that he discovered a sanctuary, an exact replica of Giovanni Pisano’s The Pulpit of the Cathedral of Pistoia that was stored in a small, rarely visited room beneath the rectory. It was a massive hexagonal sculpture composed of six pillars, each resting upon either an unadorned pedestal, a wolf nursing a pair of infants, an elephant, or a bearded man. Topping the pillars were the slabs of the pedestal, borne upon the winged backs of seraphim, each of them depicting a scene from the Bible in beautiful and somehow garish scenes. The scenes were common ones often represented in religious architecture and art: the Natività, the Adoration of the Magi, the Massacre of the Innocents, the Crocifissione, and the Universal Judgment. (((INSERT PIC 3)))
Somehow the unusual dichotomy of traditional Christian scenes, supported upon the backs of, in Jang’s mind, ancient pagan symbols: the wolf that nursed the swaddling founders of Rome, Romulus and Remus; the elephant (a widely used symbol in Indian mythology); and the burden-bearing bearded man, which seemed to obviously be the titan Atlas - as oddly comforting. Jang would often, in times of trouble, confusion, or sadness, find himself drawn to the Pulpit and sit beneath its bowers, gazing up at the greatest scenes of his faith given life in cold stone. He would always feel his eyes pulled, despite his most dogged efforts to the abutting depictions of the Adoration of the Magi and the Massacre of the Innocents – he sensed something more within those stony scenes, something that spoke to a part of him that was long and deeply buried.

It was to this place – the Pulpit - that Jang went now, to sort things out, just as he did in his youth. He knew that he had wasted precious time wallowing in his grief, but the Pulpit always seemed to clam him and set his mind at ease, even during the most tumultuous moments of his spiritual life. Now, it seemed, when everything in which he believed was threatened and when his entire world his entire reality - seemed turned on its ear by the events that had occurred less than ninety-six hours ago, he needed the soothing balm that the Pulpit had always provided him. If nothing else, he just needed a quiet, reflective place to think, and to plan out his next course of action. Quickly stuffing a mental gag into the mouth of Strawboy, which he had little doubt was about to open and ruin his resolve, Jang hustled across the still slick streets on his way to what would soon become the crossroads of his existence.

The small, dark room that housed the Pulpit was, as usual, empty and silent. Only the sounds of Jang’s now relaxed breathing pierced the veil of tranquility that surrounded and enveloped him. Letting his eyes meander over the carvings and stonework, as he always did, Jang felt the familiar waves of soothing peace flow over him; his eyes grew heavy and his breathing faint. In fact, Jang almost slipped off into a bout of much needed rest (he had slept none of the past three days) when a voice, or rather, several versions of the same voice issued out at him from the darkness.
“Jang, your time has come.”, stated the voices flatly. The manner in which the voices accumulated in his ear was terribly strange, they were all the same voice, but each seemed to come at him from a different direction, as if the speaker had many mouths, which were located all around him!
Slowly recovering his wits and his ability to move, Jang looked around him, stammering, “G-g-g-god?”
The voices around him seemed to make a chuckling, gurgling sound, similar to water be poured over rocks. “You could say that, yes.”, came the voices’ reply. They paused for a moment and then repeated, as if inpatient, “Your time has come.”
Still reeling in shock and amazement, Jang’s dazed brain finally processed that the voices were, in fact, coming from all around him – from the stone carvings in the Pulpit! When the voice spoke, the mouths around him moved, the stony visages of the Mother Mary, Atlas, Romulus and Remus, and Christ himself seemed to be speaking to him! Barely, through the fog of human disbelief that swelled within him like the rising surf, Jang managed, “My time for what, Lord?”
The voices seemed slightly irritated now, and replied, a bit flippantly, “Jang, spare the titles, the pomp and circumstance; you have much to do. Your son is held in bondage and lies in torment.”
The mention of his son sobered Jang instantly. “What would you have me do, Lor-uh-, well what?”, Jang fumbled. He kept wondering how Moses would have dealt with an issue like this, but then quickly rammed those thoughts deep within him, hoping that the Almighty would not notice them. They could be considered sacrilegious, after all…
If they noticed, the voices did not let on. “Your time has come to do one thing, Jang, and this thing you must do without fail and without question. Only faith and what lies within you can save your son.” There was an audible pause, as if the voices were thinking long and hard about something. At long last, it was Jang who spoke next, his voice full of incredulity.
“Lord…er…I mean…uh…whatever, you want me to go shopping?”

Jang had to fight hard to keep Straw boy’s mental gag in place as he rushed across the street and into the store, shaking the cold rain from his coat-less shoulders. Looking for a store employee and wondering if he had totally lost his mind, Jang pulled a thin piece of plastic from his wallet, cupping it in his hand as if it were manna from heaven. Catching the eye of a pretty young woman behind a counter with a warm, brown complexion, dark hair pulled back into a tight bun, and eyes that shone like a new black Jaguar XK8 Coupe, Jang stepped up, slapped the piece of plastic down on the glass counter, and spoke. His voice was a cool and strong as pig-iron, and somehow he knew that the resolution in his voice came from somewhere other than within his body.
“I’m here to shop. I’m on a mission from God.”

Jang had few answers for the young woman, but he somehow knew that she somehow knew that not only was he serious, but also that he was not a lunatic or some fevered religious fanatic. Almost instantly, he was swept up by the woman, who seemed to have a knack for browsing through the expansive store, all the while coddling folks who regularly spoke with the Almighty, and helping them pick out just the right divinely inspired gift. There was something about this woman that set him instantly at ease, and she seemed vaguely familiar, but his muddled, barraged mind could only strain vainly to place her. Her melodic voice broke Jang’s meditative state of thought and he gradually became aware that she was offering him a book on travel.
“Perhaps this is what you are looking for?”, she suggested, smiling and proffering the book to him, all the while doing her best Vanna White impersonation.
Feeling some spark of interest, at least on some level, Jang flipped through the book, while his lovely companion returned to her search for the sacrament. The first couple of entries did little to impress or move him, but upon the third haphazard flip, something caught his eye and rooted him to the spot. The entry detailed a methodically planned and plotted trip to Persia, noting all of the best times, climes, and places to visit. One of the highlights of the trips, according to the pithy article, was a self-guided tour through “the beautifully desolate lands once ruled by the might of the Mongol hordes”. The term “hordes” stuck in his craw, but Jang could not help but feel that there was some significance here; the sweeping sensation in his gut was telling him something, but he could not quite put a finger on it.
“Ya know wha’ ‘t means.”, came Gravelguy’s rumbling voice, seeming quite displeased with Jang.
“Of course he does –“, Strawboy sputtered, struggling out of his mental muzzle, “- he’s just not READY, that’s all. He just needs to go BACK HOME and lie down for a bit, and then he will feel better.”
Jang shook his head, trying to disperse the voices. Distantly, he was aware that his god-sent shopping guide was motioning to him; she was holding something else in her hands and her dark, smooth face had assumed a questioning expression.
“Do you play?”, she was asking, “You have the build of a jockey – I dated one once, which is how I know – and I know they often play.” Jang looked from her exuberant, smiling face to the object in her hands. At first, he could not place the item, which looked like a long tube, topped perpendicularly at one end with a smallish, cylindrical polished wooden head; a length of flexible mesh was attached at the opposite end, looped in such a way as to create a strap or handle. (((INSERT PIC 2))) “It’s a polo mallet, of course, you act like you’ve never seen one before, sir. Surely…well, on second thought, maybe I was wrong…”, she started to turn away, taking the object with her.
“No! Please – that’s it! It’s perfect!”, Jang heard himself bellowing, not truly knowing why. All he knew was that the moment he laid eyes on the object, he somehow, suddenly, had an idea of what lay before him. Handing the travel book and his credit card to the dark-haired lady, he gave her a quick, but polite command, “Please, Miss, ring these up. I’ll be taking them both.” He smiled apologetically, adding, “You have been most helpful, Miss, most helpful indeed…”
Paying for the items, Jang looked around the store, as if still searching for something. Noticing the potential for an even greater sale, the dark-eyed attendant spoke up, “Sir, is there anything else I can get for you?” She smiled, despite the fact that she secretly wished that this eccentric, shifty fellow would soon be finished and out of her care.
“Actually, yes, Miss.”, Jang replied. “Do you know where I can purchase a plane ticket? I need to be on the next flight to Persia…”

Jang stepped out of the small, dingy Persian excuse for a taxi and retrieved his polo mallet and his travel guide from the back seat. Paying the sweaty, bearded and gap-tooted driver in crisp American ten’s, he turned to survey the scene before him. Jang stuffed the travel guide, now soiled, dog eared, read and re-read, into his back pocket and absentmindedly turned the mallet over and over in his hands, caressing its smooth, straight and simple lines.
“CraZEE! CRA-ZEE is what you are!”, came Strawboy’s ear-piercing shriek.
Jang frowned, not wishing to hear this conversation again. He’d only endured it about a thousand times since he stepped onto the plane.
Right on queue, Gravelguy’s crackling voice chimed in, “Bah! ‘Dis is ‘da first smart t’ing we’ve done since –“.
Jang cut them both off this time, he was weary and this conversation never seemed to conclude, much less help. He pulled off his blue knit toboggan with one hand, scratched his head, and then plopped the hat back on again. He knew what he was here for, now it was time to get it started; whether he knew it or not, Jang was preparing to enter into battle.

Jang clutched the mallet in his hands until his knuckles turned white, or at least until he assumed that his knuckles were turning white. He could not tell, since his eyes were clamped shut. He could hear and feel his sharp exhalations of breath as he weathered blow after blow to his torso. He could not help but imagine he was being struck by a pillow-fisted giant; the sharp, methodical strikes hurt very little, but there was no denying the blunt force and massive energy behind each. Jang wished, and not for the first time that he could scratch his itching nose, but his arms were securely bound and from the way it felt, mostly buried at this point. He sneezed, but the action did little more than continue to stir the cloud of fine dust that swirled around his head. He heard the diggers laughing and talking to one another in their tuneful, almost sing-song tongue. Despite lacking the ability to translate the words, he knew that they were talking about him, “the-shaman-who-was-not”, as they called him; he had managed to get at least that much out of his hired guide before relieving him of his duty. Jang knew that he was nearing the end of his journey now, and would have little need of a guide on its next leg.
Jang sneezed again. The giant had gone away, replaced now by a gentle tip-tapping rain of small rocks and pebbles. Before long, it too, went away, and he was left, buried up to his neck, in the soil that his ancestors once ruled from the backs of their mighty steeds. All around him, he could hear the voices of those who the locals thought he sought to emulate – the shamans, all of them conducting an ancient ritual, the yinjkata, to gain passage into the spirit realm. (((INSERT PIC 1))) Jang knew he was here for a reason different from those white robed and hooded mystics, however. Most of them sought peaceful enlightenment or answers to plaguing questions about the hear and now; he was here to find and save his son and it was nearly time to enter into torment…
Jang stifled the twin voices within his skull and let his thoughts drift back to the Pulpit, to the time he spent there as a child, to the time he spent there recently, and slowly passed out of this realm, and into the next…

When Jang opened his eyes, he knew that he was in grave danger. All around him was inky blackness, accentuated by an ever present, glowing orange nimbus of fire. Screeching, moaning, howling, and piercing sounds of giddy, malicious laughter filled the air and threatened to overwhelm him. All that he could see was muted and blurred, as if he was looking through glasses smeared with oil at a world where little was evident and true. Out of the hazy gloom, he could make out indistinct shapes that seemed to be doing things that he would really rather not see to begin with, so he was thankful at least for that small blessing.
The moment that last though went through his mind, it seemed that all of the smoky air around him began boiling with trembling rage, jarring sound, and movements filled with such fury and hatred that his entire body quaked. Jang knew that something had just gone horribly wrong but had no idea how to cope with the current situation, much less the current situation at a worsened state. Unfortunately, the situation soon dealt with Jang on its own terms; without warning the shrouded darkness around him burst open, pouring out nightmares made flesh. All Jang could think about at that moment were the stories of the demons that his great-grandmother had told him as a boy. He had always known, deep down, that they were real…

Jang was tossed unceremoniously to the hard, hot, serrated stony ground; miraculously, he managed to hold on to the mallet. While he had no visible wounds and knew he had only spent moments in their clutches, he felt like he had just spent an eternity having his skin flayed and burnt from his bones. Even the gaze of the demons pierced his comparatively weaker flesh and seared the inner reaches of his soul. Instantly, he knew that one way or another, an end to his journey was about to arrive as the pungent, nose-wrinkling stench of decaying flesh and the abysmally antiseptic scent of a morgue struck him full in the face. He knew that the demon, the foul creature that had stolen his son, was nearby.
Jang rose shakily to his feet, brandishing the mallet like he had seen Arnold Schwarzenegger do with a sword in Conan; he fervently hoped that a display would be enough. In the depths of his soul he knew that this was the part that he had been the most unsure about, finding his way here was one thing, but fighting a world of demons for his son and getting out alive was another thing altogether. His defensive stance was met with waves of demonic laughter, horrible, gnashing sounds that reminded Jang of a car crash combined with the screeching hoots of possessed owls. It was then that the demon Jang sought appeared, slowly emerging from the flame-spiked darkness around him.
It was a horrific, ghastly thing. A vile round mass of rotting, stinking flesh punctuated by hundreds of leaking, lidless, red, bloodshot eyes and a massive round, fanged maw in the center of its corpulent mass. Six gangly, leprous arms surrounded its bloated, bag-like body and in one of its lecherous claws, Jang saw his son. The demon was still laughing at him, its fetid breath rolling over him with every hoot-like chuckle that burbled up out of its foul gullet.
“Now the mortal worm comes and wants to PLAY a game!”, cried the otherworldly beast.
Jang nearly fainted. The Strawboy! The demon’s voice was the same high-pitched whining crone that he had so long railed against in the world above. Suddenly, things became very clear. Jang replied, grinning a sly grin, knowing that his theory was correct even before he spoke a syllable. “NO! ‘Da time fer playin’s done. Now’s ‘da time ‘dat me’s been waitin’ on!”, Jang’s voice rolled from his throat like a bounding boulder, deep and gravelly. Things now made complete sense to him.
The demon screamed like a frustrated girl and began to absentmindedly pluck at his son with the three claws closest to him, while motioning to Jang with the other three, beckoning him in for a fight.
Jang now knew that he was not here to fight, however – this was not his battle – it was a battle for those he brought within himself to his place. He knew now that the mallet was not a weapon, rather, it was a guide, as was the travel book; a modern day clue to provide insight for Jang to unlock the ancient secrets and tools within his soul. Jang cast the mallet, a symbol of a modern-day mounted warrior, to the ground and instantly the ephemeral form of a rearing stallion appeared beneath him. At first, the steed was more energy than matter, but soon it coalesced into something just as real and as solid as the encroaching fiends about him.
The demon and its minions in the darkness around Jang and his summoned steed screamed battle cries, and Jang urged his mount into a headlong charge towards the sickly sac of fiend-flesh that held his son. He had only ridden a horse once before, in the world above, but now all of the skills of those in his past, a great lineage of Mongol warriors, were at his command. His own, now-deep voice rose in a cry of battle in a tongue he only now understood as the one spoken by those that fought beneath the standard of the Khan. The foul demon that stood before his racing steed braced itself for the mighty impact...
The impact that never came. At the last possible moment, using all of the knowledge at his grasp, Jang veered away from the demon, snatched his son from its scabrous grasp and spurred his horse into a full gallop. As Jang held his son tightly to his breast, his steed flew like the very wind through the flickering flames and he knew that something within him had remained behind. Jang heard the pitched screams of battle behind him and wheeled his mount to chance one fleeting glimpse, the very sparks from the demon-spawned flames leaping around him to obscure his view. (((INSERT PIC 4))) Before his eyes was a mighty battle wherein Mongol warriors, singing songs of war in deep, baritone voices and mounted upon fleet-footed steeds slew scores of abominations and demons; banishing them from the worlds below and above forever.
Jang called to his horse and wheeled her once more into the smoky flames and then he knew no more.

Jang pulled the shade down to keep the light from the rising sun out of his boy’s eyes. Tired beyond belief, but resilient, the small lad had fallen asleep listening to his father’s tales of the ways of the old ones, the Mongols, from whom they both claimed their heritage. Sighing, Jang glanced at his watch, noting that there were still several hours of idle time to fill on their flight home. Jang wondered what it would be like having that mental quiet time all by his lonesome, now that the voices in his head were gone…

Sniktch

First Post
OK, the first entries are in! As always, no editing at this point, please, and hold off on reading until you've posted your entry. Once we get both entries for a round we'll deliver our verdict :)

Greybar

No Trouble at All
Chaos and Fire

Summary:
A legendary couple once fought off the forces of chaos and closed a gateway to Limbo. Now the gateway has been opened again, and a relic of the heroes of old can aid those of today to seal the gate.

Requirements are simple: A group of heroes of level 11 or so who are gathered already and sleeping for the night between adventurers. The named festival and locations can easily be adapted to your campaign locations, though the images will certainly best match an oriental feel. A bias against chaos amongst the PCs would be the best match. The high level of the party allows for a very free form scenario that assumes reasonably intelligent use of divinations and other such powers.

Scene 0: The Vision
"The time of chaos and fire has come again", the spirit spoke in your vision. Her radiant hands extended, cupped before you. As her palms opened the faint sounds of croaking came to your ears. In her hands are cupped six small frogs that twitch and call out (see image 1). "Seek the Tablet of Zhun Gozi, for before the Festival of the Gathered our doom will come from the mountains." Their limbs are twisted, strange, many where they should be but one, or yet none. "Forces of Chaos gather to open the way and I have but you to call." The frogs twist in your vision, seeming to grow in size beyond her glistening white palms, turning to look at you. "Beware, for they know that I call upon you to be our heroes, and they will hasten to extinguish your light." Your vision focuses on one frog as it looks at you, one eye bigger than the other, and croaks. The sound is twisted and echoes unnaturally in your head. It continues to croak louder and louder, each time becoming more and more chaotic and pulsing. "Beware!" says the voice one last time. A terrible final croak echos in your ears driving you awake.

Scene 1: Wake-up Call
As soon as your players awake, have them roll a Fort save DC16. Indeed, this final croak was the Stunning Croak of a Red Slaad that has appeared in the middle of the heros' rests. Note that the players will not have their armor and equipment handy, which should make for a fun and dangerous wake-up call even though the Red Slaad is well below their power level. If you have a large group, consider adding a second Slaad.

Knowledge checks, Divinations, or GM information can be used to let the players know that Zhun Gozi was an adventurer of some three centuries ago. He was a champion of the local kingdom along with his wife and cohort named Zhun Juni. His sword and bow, combined with her magic and music, fought off a supernatural force gathered by a dark summoner named Karishun. Zhun Gozi died in defense of a shrine located in a local forest, and was interred there. You can place this shrine relatively nearby, or perhaps make it well known enough to your spell caster than they might teleport there.

Scene 2: The Shrine
As the players arrive at the shrine it is clear that it is under attack. The cries of the monks can be heard, and a now broken body of a monk comes hurtling towards the players, propelled by the telekinesis of one of the three Blue Slaad present.

The Slaad are working towards a goal and will generally be willing to try summoning additional Slaad if it looks like their mission will fail. They will push into the shrine in an attempt to find and destroy the Tablet of Zhun Gozi hidden inside. If the Slaadi are driven off or killed, a surviving monks will tell the players about the Tablet. The tablet is strangely stained from the ichor of a Blue Slaad (see image 2), even better if as DM you can contrive that to happen now rather than in the past.

It depicts Zhun Gozi and Zhun Juni on one of their adventures. When held by a lawful person, it projects a Magic Circle Against Chaos effect. Either monks or divination can reveal that the Tablet was used by Zhun Gozi to defeat a chaos-centered cult up in the mountains above a local city.

The Slaadi will attempt to retreat to their mountain base, and if allowed to escape will be additional opposition for the final conflict. The heroes may well follow any such retreating Slaadi and thus get straight to this last scene.

Scene 3: The Mountains Afire
Even if the heroes haven't followed all the clues, the next scene can call to them rather than them finding it. The mountain and hillsides behind the local city are covered with a firey ooze, creeping down to the terrified commoners. Fireworks saved for the Festival of the Gathered, a harvest celebration, are being fired off one night early in a sign of distress. (see image 4)

The ooze is not lava, as the heroes will likely think at first, but a perverse chaos-infused form of fire. Touching it will cause damage (3d6 Fort DC16, additional +1d6 to lawful characters) as the heroes skin discolors into weird patterns and seems to melt. Striding along the flows and unaffected by it are Red Slaad in gangs of four or five. The heroes can sneak past or fight through a few of these sentries on their way to the top.

Halfway up the mountain is a cave from which the flows seem to be issuing. The entire mouth of the cave is dancing in fire. This is actually an Elder Fire Elemental which has been summoned and bound to deny the entrance to all. It also has no trouble walking over the chaos ooze, while non-flying heroes will need to duck and dodge to move around without stepping in it.

Inside the cave is a pulsing darkness shot with riotous colors, lit only dimly by the ooze along the floor. The ooze pools into a bubbling lake, in the center of which rises a rocky mound. This lake acts as a gateway into Limbo, from which the Slaad have come. At its top shoots forth a beam of scintilating light the size of a man which strikes the roof of the cave where it shatters into innumerable beams of refracted colors. Standing over this beam is a humanoid figure, greedily grasping into its depths (see image 3). This is Thak'ki'krallik, a Green Slaad (advanced to 15HD) who seeks the power to complete his transformation into a Grey. He will not stand to be interrupted in this, and will command the heroes to depart or be slain. In battle he uses a +2 Chaotic Huge Greataxe instead of his claws. Other items of note in his use include a Cloak of Minor Displacement, a Brooch of Shielding, and a Ring of Minor Fire Resistance. At his call, another 4 Red Slaad will emerge from the ooze, following by an additional Red every 1d4 rounds.

When the tablet is placed on the top of the mound where the beam of light shines, the opening will be closed and the ooze will quickly begin to disperse. No futher Slaadi will be able to enter into the Material once it is gone, though the heroes may be called upon to help round up those that are already here. The DM can hint to the players of the role of the tablet by the beam being visibly bent away from the tablet as it gets closer, or to any other Protection from Chaos effect. If the players have managed to not bring the tablet or let it be destroyed, then a similar Lawful oriented spell can be allowed to close the gateway.

NoOne vs Halfelfsorc Rnd 1

Pseudo-Ceramic DM Round 1

The pilgrim was woken by the smell of brick dust and a sharp, savage pain in the temple. With instincts born of years of monastic combat training, he threw himself upright from the flagstones where he had been sleeping. Taking up a battle stance he looked for the source of the sudden assault. Kneeling on the stones before him, at the point on the ground where the pilgrim’s head had just been, was the guide. In the guide’s hands were two broken halves of a section of the shrine wall, bits of shattered brick falling through his deceptively wizened fingers. On the ground were more fragments, scattered by a substantial impact; motes of mortar and brick dust clouded the air like a gentle dawn mist.

“You hit me!” declared the pilgrim, incredulous.

“Yes,” replied the guide, the old man’s leathery face split wide with a delighted grin. “I told you that you would be tested! You passed!”

“This is your test?”

“Yes,” the guide continued. “I am the guide of the Iron Robe Technique. It is my purpose to see if you have fully mastered the form. What better way than to catch you when you are asleep, completely off your guard?”

The pilgrim had been tested in many different ways during his pilgrimage, each successive guide demanding that he demonstrate his mastery of one or more aspects of the arts of his order. This was the first time he had been physically assaulted.

“You could have killed me,” protested the pilgrim.

“Oh, pish!” answered the guide. “You probably wouldn’t have died. At worst you would have been in a coma.” If this was meant to calm the pilgrim’s disbelief, it failed.

“Is that the whole test?”

“Yes, I should think that will do. You’re not even bruised. You’ve clearly mastered the technique. We should go now.” The guide turned on his heel and walked quickly out of the road side shrine into the filtering morning light of the forest.

Still bewildered by the manner of his wake up, the pilgrim was forced to quickly adjust his robe, throw the small sack with its two day old barley dumplings over his shoulder and rush out after the guide. Out on the forest road, the old man was already many yards from the shrine, charging down the winding path and forcing the pilgrim to run to catch up.

The pilgrim was astonished by the pace set by the wizened little man. He began to wonder if this part of his pilgrimage had yet another element to be completed and that the guide was hurrying to reach an important point somewhere ahead in the forest. The pilgrim felt curiosity begin to gnaw at the edges of his peace like a hungry rat. Nonetheless he choked off the desire to ask further questions, reminding himself of one of the adages of his order, which said “Listen and hear; look and see; think and understand; then speak.”

The morning song of the forest birds fell from the tree branches, blanketing the two walking men. Their footsteps crunched on the falling leaves on the path and still neither spoke. Morning waned and noon was high when at last the pilgrim was finally vanquished by his curiosity.

“Tell me,” he began. “Where do we go?”

No sooner had he opened his mouth than he realised that the little man was no longer walking the path with him. The pilgrim looked in all directions, unable to see where the little old man might have gone. The undergrowth was still and no shadows moved through the filtering light between the trees. From behind a tree there came a sudden piercing shriek, like the cry of a bird of prey in flight. This cry was louder than any mortal bird’s cry however, and the pilgrim turned to see, emerging from behind the tree, a long legged bird, easily eight feet in height. It stood erect, a long, slender neck like a flamingo. The bird was without feathers. Upon its back, seated between the creature’s stunted wings, was a slender woman. She was dressed in an ancient fashion and there were gold chains woven through her hair. As the bird picked its way carefully through the undergrowth toward the pilgrim, its rider addressed him.

“I am the Guide of Mysteries,” she said in a voice that was soft and sweet. It was a title that made little sense to the pilgrim. Trusting his fate to the gods however, he accepted the outlandish appearance and strange title of this guide. After all, the previous guide had seemed normal enough and he had dropped a chunk of masonry on the pilgrim’s head.

The pilgrim fell in step beside the riding bird, fascinated by the strange creature. Like most guides on the pilgrimage, the woman riding the beast’s back did not make conversation as the two walked through the afternoon. The chirruping of insects was heralding the coming of dusk as the guide and the pilgrim emerged from the forest onto the edge of a deep chasm. Dismounting from the bird, the guide led the pilgrim to the edge of the chasm. At the bottom a young river rushed headlong in a dark flood. As the two watched bats emerged from caves in the chasm walls and began to hunt insects in the evening coolness.

“Have you heard the expression, ‘blind as a bat’?” asked the guide. The pilgrim nodded.

“It is a strange expression, for it points to an untruth,” the guide explained. “For though a bat may be blind, still its awareness is often the equal of any mortal’s.”

With her finger the guide pointed to a particular fox bat as it dove towards the river at the bottom of the canyon. With magnificent precision, glided across the surface of the water, its wingtips drawing thin sprays from the surface.

“The bat cannot see the water as well as you or I, yet it perceives it with a precision that most mortals could not rival and, though it draws so close to the water, yet it does not crash or fall. Yet for all of its perceptions…”

Suddenly a tentacle, blacker than the water, erupted from the river’s surface and with the swiftness of a whip crack, seized the bat and pulled it under the water. With a sigh, the guide continued her teaching.

“The bat could not perceive what lay beneath the surface of the water. This is the lesson of Mysteries, the lesson of the blindness of the bat.” Turning to face the pilgrim, the guide posed her testing question. “Have you learnt this lesson?”

“I don’t…” the pilgrim hesitated in his response. “I don’t understand.”

“A pity,” the guide hung her head momentarily, her voice carrying a deep sadness. When she lifted her head again, her face had transformed. Her skin was a colour of red so burnt that in places it was almost black. Her eyes were pits so deep that to look into them was to lose your sanity in a sea of unholiness. Fangs slashed her mouth into an unspeakable, blood lust grin. Her body was now filled with brutal musculature. She snatched at the pilgrim with taloned fingers, seizing him by the throat even as he recoiled in terror.

“You are no guide,” he gasped as her gripped choked the life from his body. “You are a demon!”

“Little pilgrim,” the demon’s voice was like the scrape of weapons across armour. “Some lessons can only be learnt at the hands of your enemy.”

There was a loud snap as the pilgrim’s neck broke and the demon cast his body out across space to fall into the river below. Even before the body struck the water, the insidious tentacle lashed upward and captured it, dragging the corpse to whatever unseen maw lay beneath the surface.

With another sigh, the demon resumed its female form, covering itself in humanity like a cloak. Until a pilgrim would come with the art to pierce its illusions, the demon was bound to be guide and ambusher to aspirant monks. It longed for nothing more than to meet a pilgrim who would survive its ambush, slay it and thus end its indentured servitude. A thousand years had yet to provide relief. With the ponderous movements that the weight of ages bring, the demon remounted and returned to its unending patrol of the pilgrim forest.

Sniktch

First Post
OK, good work, NoOne and HalfElf :) Unfortunately, I'm too tired to give NoOne's entry a proper read yet, but I'll get it done in the morning and have a decision posted as soon as I converse with the other judges.

Remove ads