• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Psi-like Abilities and manifester level

Nezkrul

First Post
If I have psi-like abilities with uses/day, for whatever reason, and my manifester level = my hit dice, can I "use up" augments built into the power as if I were spending points on it equal to my manifester level?

For instance, say I have 15 hitdice and the mindthrust power as a psi-like ability 3/day. Since my manifester level is 15, can I use the power "augmented" 14 times to match my manifester level? (15d10 damage and save DC as if it were a 8th level power)

Betrayor

First Post
From the SRD on psi-like abilities.

All creatures with psi-like abilities are assigned a manifester level, which indicates how difficult it is to dispel their psi-like effects and determines all level-dependent variables (such as range or duration) the abilities might have. When a creature uses a psi-like ability, the power is manifested as if the creature had spent a number of power points equal to its manifester level, which may augment the power to improve its damage or save DC. However, the creature does not actually spend power points for its psi-like abilities, even if it has a power point reserve due to racial abilities, class levels, or some other psionic ability.

So that means that you can and in fact have to augment the power to the maximun manifester level allowed for your hitdice.
So in your example with 15 hitdice when you use the mindthrust psi-like ability you would always augment it to manifester level 15.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads