• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Psi melee machine? Smackdown? Help!

ForumFerret

Explorer
Hi, guys.

I'm just about to start a new game, and the GM is finally letting us use Psionics. I've always been enamoured of the system, but I don't have a lot of time to "get to know" the book before I create the character. We usually run a high-power, magic-heavy high-fantasy game; lots and lots of combat. To that end, I'd love to hear your advice on creating a starting Psi character - I'm particularly fond of the Psi Warrior and the SoulKnife. I like the IDEA of the Soul Knife, but I think the Psi Warrior will be more surviveable in the long run.

So, ideas? is there a PsiWarrior our Soul Knife smackdown out there some kind soul could dig up for me? Whatever I take kind of needs to be able to handle himself in Combat. I'm very open to the idea of a Psion (kineticist?) or Wilder...show me what you can make the Psionics system do! Suggestions for 1st/2nd level very much appreciated, and if you have time, show me what the character might look like on down the road, say at 8th or 10th level. I'm very curious to see what the number crunchers can come up with.

Thanks all!

Ferret

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
I've only played the Soulknife in 3.0 (when it was a PrC), but a player in my 3.5 game is currently playing a Soulknife and seems to think he's underpowered. As a fighter-type, he doesn't quite stay up-to-par.

I must admit: The idea of it, though, is really cool.

Last edited:

DreamChaser

Explorer
go with psy warrior. soulknife has flair but psy war is going to give you the psionics feel more (since they have powers) and you stay more versatile

DC

Arc

First Post
I was over at the WotC boards, and ran across this psionic build, and it looks very tempting. Doing the wolverine thing isn't just original, it's also pretty powerful. Check the thread to see which build order you want to use, some of them take quite a while to become effective, whereas some start being useful right away.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I also created a very effective wilder who was brutally effective against my group. I'll try to post the build later on.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
ForumFerret said:
Hi, guys.

I'm just about to start a new game, and the GM is finally letting us use Psionics.

You don't think there is any danger that you use something too smackdownish and your GM (who seems to have been reluctant to use XPH) says "as I thought, unbalanced!" and pulls them? Just wondering from a "word of warning" point of view.

Cheers

ForumFerret

Explorer
Plane Sailing said:
You don't think there is any danger that you use something too smackdownish and your GM (who seems to have been reluctant to use XPH) says "as I thought, unbalanced!" and pulls them? Just wondering from a "word of warning" point of view.

Cheers

Not really, no. If only because the REST of the group is a bunch of min/maxers as well. I have to keep pace, otherwise I'm either dead or not keeping up with the rest of the party, and that's not much fun. Also, while we're high power for our level due to high stats and equipment, he also uses the opportunity to throw us up against some nasty opponents. He cleaned out the entire party, save 1, with two bugbears in a small room against 4 of us at 3rd level. The rogue servived with creative use of an Endless Quiver and spider climb. :p

Remove ads