• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Psicrowns = Improved Dorjes?

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
So, I'm making a bunch of new psicrowns (about a dozen), and I decided to try out some "apprentice" psicrowns - basically psicrowns crafted to be given as gifts to an apprentice by a master psion.

Well, wouldn't you know it... a Psicrown with a single level 1 power and a Manifester Level of 1 costs the same as a Dorje.

And in the hands of a potent psion, it can be a lot more effective (augmented mind thrust, what?).

---

(removed - my math SUCKS)

Last edited:

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
HellHound said:
On a second reading, I noticed that Dorjes are priced the same as Psicrowns - 375 x power level x manifester level. So a Psicrown and a Dorje, each of a level 1 power, should each cost 375 gp.

From the Craft Dorje feat: "The base price of a dorje is its manifester level x the power level x 750 gp."

From the Creating Items section: "The cost of the materials is subsumed in the cost of creating the dorje—375 gp x the level of the power x the level of the manifester."

Cost of materials is always half the base price :)

Likewise with Psicrowns - a Psicrown of a single 1st level CL1 power has a base price of 750gp, and hence the cost of materials is 375gp.

-Hyp.

the Jester

Legend
It seems like psicrown is to dorje as staff is to wand, at least at a glance (and I haven't looked at the XPH item creation stuff at all yet- none of the pcs imc have any psionic item creation feats for me to worry about it).

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
the Jester said:
It seems like psicrown is to dorje as staff is to wand...

Exactly.

Edit - although I'd understand if it did cost half the price of the equivalent dorje; doesn't it take up your headband slot?

-Hyp.

Last edited:

Eldren

First Post
The concept is neat, but I think the execution leaves a bit to be desired, at least conceptually. I realize that in an attempt to make psionics as attractive an option to Dungeon Masters who might be wary about including psionics in their game as possible, they try to make it mirror the established magic system as much as possible, and on some levels (like the power levels mirroring the 9-level magic structure), that's a good thing. On some other levels (such as "metapsionic feats") it isn't. The only real point to having a psicrystal is to have a "psionic familiar". A psicrown is little more than a staff you wear on your head. The dorjes are nothing more than crystal wands. So on and so forth. I think it would be neater if they made more attempts to come up with something that wasn't such an obvious "This is magic, but in a different form" system. I was honestly hoping that once the Expanded Psionics Handbook came out, "Psionics Are Different" would cease being the variant rule, and would become the norm, but that didn't seem to happen, for whatever reason. Psionics aren't magic. They aren't spell-like abilities. At best, they're supernatural abilities. They in no way function like magic (which is the accessing of an external force existing independent of the spellcaster). They are purely internal, the result of enlightenment and inner searching, and should have a "feel" that's more than just "This is just like a Sorceror, but they have a pet rock instead of a pet weasel".

End rant. I like the XPH miles more than I did the 3.0 Psionics Handbook, it's just some flavor issues that I apparently still have. :)

DreamChaser

Explorer
Psionics are different = most DMs (myself included and I love psionics) not including them.

I like the psicrown much better than the Drilbu (3.0 answer to the staff) and I love that pet rocks are just an option you can take rather than the norm.

Overall, I'm very pleased. And those who would like "psionics are different" have all the stuff laid out in the book for how to do it (and how it screws the non-psions).

DC

Snowtiger

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
Exactly.

Edit - although I'd understand if it did cost half the price of the equivalent dorje; doesn't it take up your headband slot?

-Hyp.
Ok. So I'm new to 3.5e. Doesn't the psicrown still store power points to be used on the various powers and where does that cost fit into the formulae?

Thanks!

Falconnan

First Post
Snowtiger said:
Ok. So I'm new to 3.5e. Doesn't the psicrown still store power points to be used on the various powers and where does that cost fit into the formulae?
Thanks!

Doesn't the psicrown still store power points to be used on the various powers?
Yes.

where does that cost fit into the formulae?
It doesn't, exactly. Think like this: (2 x power level)-1=power points to manifest. 50 x power points to manifest=maximum power points stored.
If you figure this in, IMHO, the power points cost formula might need to be modified.
I think a new approach might be needed.

The problem is, crowns are overpriced. They do take up a slot on your magic items availability. I prefer the drilbu, but following the same rules as a mage's staff. But that's my approach.

Falconnan said:
Doesn't the psicrown still store power points to be used on the various powers?
Yes.

where does that cost fit into the formulae?
It doesn't, exactly. Think like this: (2 x power level)-1=power points to manifest. 50 x power points to manifest=maximum power points stored.
If you figure this in, IMHO, the power points cost formula might need to be modified.
I think a new approach might be needed.

The problem is, crowns are overpriced. They do take up a slot on your magic items availability. I prefer the drilbu, but following the same rules as a mage's staff. But that's my approach.

crowns?overpriced?hardly

first there more versitile than wands for the same price,but thats not the big factor.check out the rules on power point storage devices,then youll understand why there awesome. :cool:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads