• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Psicrowns = Improved Dorjes?

Snowtiger

First Post
Falconnan said:
Doesn't the psicrown still store power points to be used on the various powers?
Yes.

where does that cost fit into the formulae?
It doesn't, exactly. Think like this: (2 x power level)-1=power points to manifest. 50 x power points to manifest=maximum power points stored.
If you figure this in, IMHO, the power points cost formula might need to be modified.
I think a new approach might be needed.

The problem is, crowns are overpriced. They do take up a slot on your magic items availability. I prefer the drilbu, but following the same rules as a mage's staff. But that's my approach.

Example: Psicrown of Astral Legion

Astral Legion: This psicrown has 900 power points. It is made from white silk interwoven with crystalline strands of thread. It allows use of the following power: • Astral construct
Strong metacreativity; ML 18th; Craft Psicrown, astral construct; Price 47,250 gp.

Given the above Psicrown, how do they go from a 1st Manifester Level power to 47250gp? (2 * 1) - 1 = 1 power point, 50 x 1 = 50. Where do the other 850 points come into the calculation?

--Mark

(Note: OGL/SRD info presented here)

Spatula

Explorer
Let's see... The Astral Legion crown has a 1st level power with manifester level of 18. So the base cost is: 375 x 1 x 18 = 6750. BUT, since the manifester level is higher than the minimum, the highest level power in the crown is treated as 1 level higher for every 2 additional manifester levels. 18 - 1 (the minimum) = 17 / 2 = +8 power levels for astral construct. So the cost instead should be 375 x 9 x 18 = 60750. The Astral Legion crown is actually a bit of deal, by the rules - it's costed as if astral construct were 7th level instead of 9th. It also doesn't conform to the statement on page 169, that a crown's manifester level can't be more than 5 higher than the minimum for the highest level power.

EDIT: The number of power points in a psicrown is 50 x manifester level (50 x 18 = 900, for the Astral Legion crown), although I don't see that stated anywhere. Nevertheless, all the crowns given follow that formula.

Last edited:

Eraslin

First Post
Whitemage Bishieboy said:
crowns?overpriced?hardly

first there more versitile than wands for the same price,but thats not the big factor.check out the rules on power point storage devices,then youll understand why there awesome. :cool:

Are you implying that the psicrown can be recharged? I haven't read anything that would seem to indicate that they are rechargable -- certainly nothing in the Psicrown section of the book indicates that.

-Eraslin

Remove ads