• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Psion Discipline Powers Are They Considered Powers?

Hemlock Stones

First Post
GREETINGS!

Something about the new Expanded Psionics Handbook is confusing regarding Psions. Outside of the listing of Psion/Wilder Powers is a section called Psion Discipline Powers. Having studied the Psion class, nowhere does it relate the separation of these Psion Discipline Powers as being special short of being related to a specific manifester discipline. I realize the 3.0 mechanics for the disciplines have changed.

Does a Psion get these disciplines as they advance? :heh: ie. A third level Psion has access to all of the Psion Discipline Powers up to third level as it relates to their particular manifester discipline. Or would the powers just be part of the Powers Known. In this case, part of the seven powers known as a third level Psion?

Thanks!

Bone Daddy

Telperion

First Post
I don't have the book here at work, but as I recall the says something like this:

A psion can select new Powers, that he gains trough level advancement, from the general Psion / Wilder list or from a psion's Discipline list. Note that a Psion is forced to select a Discipline at level 1, but I don't think anyone's forcing them to select a single Discipline Power at any given point (however, most people probably will). So, Disciplines are just lists of special Powers that certain people have access to. There is, as I recall, also a feat that lets you take a single Power from a list that is not your own.

For example a Telepath could take the feat and then pick one Power from the Shaper list.

EDIT: to answer your question; no, they don't automatically gain anything. Just think about the Sorcerer core class when you are leveling up. Works pretty much the same.

Last edited:

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Telperion has the right of it; the discipline list is just additional powers that the psion can, but doesn't have to, choose from. He doesn't have access to the powers listed in other disciplines other than his own. He doesn't get anything as a free bonus.

I'll slide this over to Rules.

Thanee

First Post
Yep, that's working completely different to the old discipline powers or the cleric domains (which look similar on first glance).

You just get some more powers to choose from, depending on your discipline.

The main reason probably is to restrict psions from getting all the major powers of the various disciplines, since they have only one of those available (Expanded Knowledge feat allows to pick some cross-discipline powers, however).

Bye
Thanee

Chroma

Explorer
The Discipline Powers list seem awfully sparse compared to the massive Psion/Wilder list; I wonder why there are so few powers restricted by those lists.

Thanee

First Post
Chroma said:
The Discipline Powers list seem awfully sparse compared to the massive Psion/Wilder list; I wonder why there are so few powers restricted by those lists.
Erm... you do realize, that you will have only one out of all those lists available, do you?

Bye
Thanee

Remove ads