• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Psionic Lions Charge Rules?

IcyCool

First Post
Patryn of Elvenshae said:
With Psionic Lion's Pounce (or any pounce ability sharing similar rules language), you may, in order:

1. Charge as a full-round action. Move up to twice your speed in a straight line free of hampering terrain and make a single melee attack with a +2 bonus.
  2. Make a full attack. Make any and all attacks to which your BAB and other abilities allow.

And of course you can use a swift action in a surprise round.

So wait, are you saying that you get to charge, make a single charge attack, and then get a full attack after that? So you'd essentially get an extra attack?

Scion

First Post
IcyCool said:
So wait, are you saying that you get to charge, make a single charge attack, and then get a full attack after that? So you'd essentially get an extra attack?

well, that is how it works ;)

A charge action is movement + an attack with a bonus, some of the various pounce (and pounce like) abilities allow a full attack action 'after' you are done charging.. and you are only done charging after the attack part of it (although I believe you can give up that attack, but that is neither here nor there).

Note that you gain the +2 to hit only on the charge attack but no extra damage.. and on the full attack you do not get the bonus to hit but you do get the extra damage.

IcyCool said:

That's what the rules say. Note that the +2 Charge bonus applies only to the initial attack.

If they wanted, instead, to replace the single melee attack at the end of the charge with a full attack, they'd've say that.

IcyCool

First Post
That's what the rules say. Note that the +2 Charge bonus applies only to the initial attack.

If they wanted, instead, to replace the single melee attack at the end of the charge with a full attack, they'd've say that.

Huh, and here I thought that Pounce replaced the single melee attack at the end of the charge with a full attack.

irdeggman

First Post
dragnmastr85 said:
Nothing was ever said about doing this in a surprise round. And I dont think that I should be able to get a charge attack and THEN a full attack on top of that. The first attack in your full attack action I think would be considered the chrage attack.

Check the text I was responding to in the quote. Surprise round was most definitely the topic there.

irdeggman

First Post
And of course you can use a swift action in a surprise round.

Why?

It says you can take a standard action and free actions during a surprise round.

A swift action is more than a free action by its definition.

I could see substituting the swift action for the standard action but not in addition to the standard action as if it was a free action.

irdeggman

First Post
A swift actions works in all ways like a free action, except that you only get one per round.

But

Swift Action: A swift action consumes a very small amount of time, but represents a larger expenditure of effort and energy than a free action.

and

You can perform one swift action per turn without affecting your ability to perform other actions. In that regard, a swift action is like a free action.

That last part is what a swift action is like a free action. That is it doesn't affect yuor ability to perform other actions.

Scion

First Post
srd said:
The Surprise Round: If some but not all of the combatants are aware of their opponents, a surprise round happens before regular rounds begin. Any combatants aware of the opponents can act in the surprise round, so they roll for initiative. In initiative order (highest to lowest), combatants who started the battle aware of their opponents each take a standard action during the surprise round. You can also take free actions during the surprise round. If no one or everyone is surprised, no surprise round occurs.

srd said:
Swift Action: A swift action consumes a very small amount of time, but represents a larger expenditure of effort and energy than a free action. You can perform one swift action per turn without affecting your ability to perform other actions. In that regard, a swift action is like a free action. However, you can perform only a single swift action per turn, regardless of what other actions you take. You can take a swift action any time you would normally be allowed to take a free action.

Emphasis mine. Maybe that will help?

Remove ads