• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Psionic & Magical Weapons

Arcturus_Rugend

First Post
Call me psionically ignorant, but...

Are psionic and magical enhancements mutually exclusive or can you have them on the same weapon?

For example, could you have a +2 Keen, Bodyfeeder Longsword?

Alchemist

First Post
Sure, just make the keen enhancement psionic rather than magical. It's in the magic items section of the Psi book somewhere...I think. It's got a bit about straight over converting everything else to psionics, so why not?

Arcturus_Rugend

First Post
That's not exactly the reason I was asking, but it is helpful.

To clarify: Lets say a cleric finds a psionic weapon as part of a treasure cache and wants to add a magical enhancement or power to it?

Will that work, or do psionic weapons not take magical enhancements and vice versa?

Alchemist

First Post
Ah, well. That's a bit different and I don't know that there's a hard rule for that one.

If you're running psionics=magic (the default, absolute transparency of magic and psionics), I would say go for it. Clerics can bump up stuff made by arcane casters, so psionic items shouldn't be a problem either. If your psionics are not transparent with magic, then I would say no.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
If your psionics are not transparent with magic, then I would say no.

I, on the other hand, can't see any reason why not.

A creature can benefit from a magical and a psionic buff spell at the same time... a character can multiclass as a cleric/psion... don't see why a weapon couldn't have both magical and psionic abilities.

-Hyp.

Alchemist

First Post
Hypersmurf said:

I, on the other hand, can't see any reason why not.

A creature can benefit from a magical and a psionic buff spell at the same time... a character can multiclass as a cleric/psion... don't see why a weapon couldn't have both magical and psionic abilities.

-Hyp.

Let me clarify that a bit. :)

To put an enhancement on a weapon requires it to be +1 already. My reasoning is thus:

If it's psionic, it's a psionic +1. As far as magic is concerned, that item is not +1, but only masterwork. If you were to, say, enhance it with a magical +1 you could then give it a magical enhancement. On the up side, if you entered a magic dead area, your psionic weapon bit would still function and if you entered a psionic dead area the magic bit would still function.

Of course, this whole argument depends on how you work your psionics /= magic. YMMV.

Remove ads