• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Psionic Races/Template?

Leathros

First Post
Hi guys! Im new here, this is my first thread.

I wanna know ALL you that you guys think about Psionics.

I wanna a really powerfull psionic, but there are so much options
that i really don't know where to start

I'll be very thankful if u guys lend me a hand on this.

Im talking about 3.5 ed.

Is there an Psionic Template for this edition??

Oh and something else, i dont know what in EARTH are the "Combat Modes" i mean, the Attack Modes, and Defense Modes, from the psionics!
can anyone tell me what's this all about? THX
Thx guys!! I hope u can help me here!:lol:

Duke Arioch

First Post
I myself don't like psi rules (or any alternate rules). But psi is powerful, no doubting that.
Psion is, by far the strongest psi class, but probably the hardest to master. I am guessing this would be your first psi character. If that is true, my advice is to go with gishy psi classes. If you like roguish characters, go lurk, if you like warrior type characters, psi warrior is the guy for you. Beyond that, consider the psion and wilder as hard to master as wizard or sorcerer in relation to other classes.
I consider warforged and kalashtar the best races for the job, but both are from Eberron, so you should ask your DM if they would be allowed. However, any INT enhancing race would be a good start.

Wyvernhand

First Post
Attack modes? Defense modes? You sure you are looking at 3.5 psionics? Cause that sounds an aweful lot like 3.0 psionics. The EASIEST way to tell is to look at the Psion. If all disciplines manifest based on Int, then it is 3.5. If some disciplines manifest off other stats (like Egoism off Con, and Telepathy off Cha, IIRC), then it is 3.0. 3.0 psionics is...broken. As much as I hate that word, it is. Not broken as in way overpowered. Broken as in "does not work as intended". I'll see if I can find you the proper quote...

Oh, I guess the real easiest way is to look at the book. Psionic Handbook is 3.0, while Expanded Psionic Handbook (XPH) and Complete Psion are both 3.5.

Look here for the 3.5 psionics rules from XPH (second column, right under epic rules). 3.5 psionics is basically "magic renamed", with some minor changes. In case it gets glossed over somewhere, the cardinal rule of psionics is "THOU SHALT NOT SPEND MORE PP ON A SINGLE MANIFESTATION THAN THOU HAST MANIFESTER LEVELS". Most initial reactions see "oh, a 3rd level psion could dump all 20 of his PP into a single manifestation of Energy Ray to deal 20d6 damage. Thats overpowered". No...the 3rd level psion can only spend 3 PP, since his ML is probably still only 3.

Oh, and in case its a little confusing, manifesting = casting a power. Manifester level is roughly equal to caster level, and manifesting classes are rather like casting classes. They just get their own word because they are "special".

Oh, found it!
AntiDjinn on the WotC Boards said:
I have used this model before, but to really appreciate how this "class feature" worked you should see how it would apply if ported to mainstream D&D where they haven't been conditioned to accept inferior mechanics without question. Lets take the big sacred moo, a Cleric's undead turning ability:

DM: "Before we get started, Cleric, I just want you to know that I am instituting some changes in your turn undead class feature that will make your class more different and give it a unique divine mechanic."

Player: "OK. How does it work now?"

DM: "Well, for starters, when you attempt to turn undead you will now have to burn a spell."

Player: "A spell???? What level?"

DM: "Different levels. It depends on what turning mode you want to use. Sanctified Gesture takes a level 1, Divine Dance of Power takes a level 2, High Holly Homina Homina takes a level 3, and...."

Player: "Wait, I assume I will get a bonus on the roll based on the level of spell slot I sacrifice?"

DM: "Sometimes you will. Other times you will get a penalty based on the turning defense mode the opponent selects. Turning and turning defense modes will interact on a table. The table determines the actual DC of the roll, not the level of the spell slot burned. Choosing a given defense mode may actually mean you pay a spell to get a penalty on the save, but it will still be better than being defenseless."

Player: "The undead will get defense modes?"

DM: "Sure, so will you. Each round you will select a turning attack mode and a defense mode. In fact, you will need to select a defense mode against each undead opponent each and every round and each will cost you spell slots."

Player: "Wwwwwwhat????!!!!!! What if I am facing undead who do not cast spells, I assume they won't get to mount a defense?"

DM: "It doesn't matter if you face undead without casting ability because their turning and turning defense modes are free."

Player: "Wait a minute! This is stupid! One of my 3rd level spell slots could be spent on Searing Light which fries undead; why would I ever spend it on an attack mode that might help me on a turning attempt? And why would I ever take a turning defense mode, much less a separate one vs. each undead opponent? I would simply choose to ignore undead or cast spells against them or go at them with weapons. I would have to have brain damage to choose to turn with these rules!"

DM: "If you fail to mount a defense then each unblocked undead gets a special +8 bonus to hit you for having this wonderful class feature and choosing not to use it. They also get to drain your stats if they hit. This will apply also to anyone who adds a level of Cleric; multiclassing will be very flavorful."

Player: "But I am a spellcaster, I need to be able to cast spells. How can I do my job if my spell slots get sucked away every time we run into undead?"

DM: "Well, how can you do your job if you are dead or reduced to a mindless state? You need to use your spells this way or you may not live long enough to cast them anyway."

Player: Head down, silently weeping into his hands.

DM: "I should mention too that you will be able to make turn undead attempts vs. nonundead; if you succeed they will be stunned for a few rounds. Of course, everyone who does not have this feature will get a huge bonus on the save DC. The best part: If you blow a 5th level spell to use High Holy Hokey Pokey then everyone in a large area could be stunned for a long while and they don't get a bonus vs. this one mode -- that makes the entire system usable and balanced."

Player: "They should all be stunned if they ever see me willingly use these rules. This is preposterous! I need my spells to heal and buff and perform all the functions of a Cleric. How am I going to be of any use to the party if I hemorrhage spell slots every time we run into undead?"

DM: "That is the beauty of it: You get to choose whether to use your spell slots as they were intended or save your own hide by using them to turn. Come on and at least give it a chance. It will be a mechanic unique to your class so it must be a benefit. You don't want to be just another spellcaster do you? This will add so much flavor and.... Hey! Get him off of me!"

Player: "How ya like that fist flavor?"

Last edited:

Leathros

First Post
Awesome quot, very funny !

So atk and defense modes are from 3.0, nice, thx 4 that.

And yes, im planing to make some multiclass psion/wilder/meditant psionic character, but still cant decide which race i will use :S

xigbar

Explorer
It depends on what you're looking for. As dandu so eloquently, Elans are nice, for their racial once a day life saver. It also depends on what you're trying to do, if level adjustment are allowed, etc. I personally like using LA +1 characters, and Halg-Giants are nice in that vein, letting you wield large weapons. Expansion with a large spiked chain could be nice.

Sekhmet

First Post
Elan Psion (Metacreativity/Shaper) for great effect.

I'm not fond of how they've remastered Psionics to basically be a Wizard variant, I liked how it used to be (Attack Modes, Defense Modes, a rare trait that any character or monster can possess that had as many drawbacks as uses).

How it stands now, you're basically a Sorcerer with slightly fewer limitations, in that power points can be used in any manner you'd like without having to be specific levels.
Do remember that you'll blast through your power points like nothing is you use them wastefully.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads