• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Psionic Warrior questions

Coredump

Explorer
Call Weaponry: Is there a limit to what size weapon can be called?
Could they summon a ballastae? How about a trebuchet?
Can an enlarged monkey gripping PW call a huge greatsword?

If they spend the PP, instead of calling a +3 sword, could they call a +1 flaming burst sword?

If a character is a PW4/Psion7, is his manifestor level 4 and 7, or is it 11?

What if they are PW6/Warmind5, since they both use the PW power list, is the manifester level 6 and 5, or is it 11?

Okay, now the hard stuff.
The War Mind Prestige class seems the perfect fit for the PW, but it seems to really hurt him because it starts him at lvl 1 powers again. Am I missing something? Should I house-rule a "+1 manifester level for PW's only" addendum?

If I did that change, how much would that unbalance the PrC?

Corsair

First Post
Coredump said:
Call Weaponry: Is there a limit to what size weapon can be called?
Could they summon a ballastae? How about a trebuchet?
Can an enlarged monkey gripping PW call a huge greatsword?

If they spend the PP, instead of calling a +3 sword, could they call a +1 flaming burst sword?

What if they are PW6/Warmind5, since they both use the PW power list, is the manifester level 6 and 5, or is it 11?

The War Mind Prestige class seems the perfect fit for the PW, but it seems to really hurt him because it starts him at lvl 1 powers again. Am I missing something? Should I house-rule a "+1 manifester level for PW's only" addendum?

1) No, but a ballista isn't something you can "call to hand". Unless you're a giant, trying to use it as an improvised crossbow I suppose... Huge greatsword would be fine though.

2) No. It specifically says "enhancement bonus" not "enhancement bonus or equivalent"

3) 4 and 7

4) 6 and 5

5) Because it can be taken by non-psions?

MatthewJHanson

Registered Ninja
Publisher
Corsair is correct about the easy stuff.

Coredump said:

A personal pet-peeve of mine is that the War Mind kind of bothers me, because it seems like a good class for a non-psionic base class, but the Knowledge (psionics) prereq makes that difficult. The only base class that I think is really suited for it is the Soulknife.

To answer your question though, I think +1 manifester every level would be too much. The other class features of the War Mind (BAB, saves, special abilities) are all quite a bit better then psychic warrior. I think a broken progression might be okay though. I'm inclined to say between 6 and 8 levels of +1 manifester level over the ten levels of War Mind.

Bloodweaver1

First Post
Coredump said:

Actually how I see this and someone feel free to correct me if I am wrong. Is that PW4/Psion7 & PW6/WM7 would have a manifester level of 11. Combining both pools of Power Points and allowing the character to augment their powers to 11th level. However the max power level would only be that of a 7th lvl psion or 6th level PW and they would not be allowed to combine thier powers known.

Note that each level in each respected class counts as a manifester level and so should be counted as such. Its kinda like combining two spell caster classes (wizard/warmage). You get access to both spell lists you are a spell caster in each level.

Hope this helps
-BW

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
srd said:
Multiclass Psionic Characters

If you have levels in more than one psionic class, you combine your power points from each class to make up your reserve. You can use these power points to manifest powers from any psionic class you have.

While you maintain a single reserve of power points from your class, race, and feat selections, you are still limited by the manifester level you have achieved with each power you know.

caster levels dont stack from the 2 classes and you have to remember which powers came form each class, as this sets you max augmentation.
There is still no Practiced Spellcaster feat for psions.

Jhulae

First Post
Evilhalfling said:
caster levels dont stack from the 2 classes and you have to remember which powers came form each class, as this sets you max augmentation.
There is still no Practiced Spellcaster feat for psions.

Yes, they do. the following quote is from the Overchannel feat, which lets you exceed your 'normal' manefester level. Note what's the 'normal' manefester level.

SRD said:
Normal

Your manifester level is equal to your total levels in classes that manifest powers.

So, the psion 4/psi warrior 7 from the OP has a manefester level of 11, not4/7. The Psion 6/Warmind 5 has a manefester level of 11 as well.

Of course, someone said that it's different from the book implies, so I'll have to do some research, but that's from the SRD.

Last edited:

Khaalis

Adventurer
I completely agree with Jhulae. Psionics stack "Manifester Level" because they use a different system than magic. They have a unified and combined Psionic Power Point Pool, regardless of how many psionic classes you mix.

Spellcasters do NOT work this way. Caster classes are entirely independant of one other, gaining spells differently (arcane vs. divine), casting differently (prepaired vs. spontaneous), they each maintain their own number of spells that can be cast each day, etc.

Psionics works differently.
SRD - "A power known to a psionic character can be used whenever he or she has power points to pay for it."

As long as you know the power, regardless of what class it comes from, you can manifest it as long as you have the power to do so. Also as pointed out in Jhulae's quote, it is quite clear that manifester levels stack as part of the Power Point stacking mechanic.

JMHO.YMMV.

boolean

Explorer
Expanded Psionics Handbook said:
While you maintain a single reserve of power points from your class, race, and feat selections, you are still limited by the manifester level you have achieved with each power you know. For example, a 10th-level psion/2nd-level psychic warrior can spend up to 10 points when manifesting a psion power, but only 2 points when manifesting a psychic warrior power. Your wellspring of psychic energy is a single pool, but you might possess very different levels of training or accomplishment with power you learned from different classes.

The SRD is useful for feat and power details, but many of the basic mechanics of psionics (such as how to manifest or augment a power) are only in the XPH.

MeepoTheMighty

First Post
Bloodweaver1 said:
Actually how I see this and someone feel free to correct me if I am wrong. Is that PW4/Psion7 & PW6/WM7 would have a manifester level of 11.

XPH, pg 18, under "Multiclass Psionic Characters"
While you maintain a single reserve of power points from your class, race, and feat selections, you are still limited by the manifester level you have achieved with each power you know. For example, a 10th-level psion/2nd-level psychic warrior can spend up to 10 points when manifesting a psion power, but only up to 2 points when manifesting a psychic warrior power. Your wellspring of psychic energy is a single pool, but you might possess very different levels of training or accomplishment with powers you learned from different classes.

Khaalis

Adventurer
MeepoTheMighty said:
XPH, pg 18, under "Multiclass Psionic Characters"

Doh! Good call. Remind me to stop relying so much on SRD and actually go back and check the printed material once in a while.

(PS: Althought personally I see this as a very odd ruling, but it makes it the same as spellcasting. To me, Psionic powers are psionic powers. There is no real difference in PsyWarrior manifestaton than for Psion manifestation. On the same note, I have always been bugged by the caster system as well. For example, a prepared arcana spell is a prepared arcane spell, regardless of what class you learn it from, most especially when a class specifically states that yo user a spellbook and cast spells just as a wizard, yet you have a different caster level just because you learn it from another class? Odd. If you you prepare arcane wizard spells from a spellbook you have an equal amount of training in using that spellcasting, regardless of what "class" you learned the spell from. The same should be said of Divine spells. If you are granted divine spells from more than one class, you should have a single caster level. But thats JMHO, not the rules.)

Last edited:

Remove ads