• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Psionic Whipsaw and other quandaries

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
1) If I use Battlemind's Demand- which marks foes- through something like a Dream Self or Intellect Prism, what must the marked creature attack to avoid the penalties of being marked, the caster or his proxy?

2) What happens to a hybrid Warlock who takes Twofold Pact, which grants full access to a second pact? Does he get full access, or is his benefit limited to the same extent as his primary pact?

3) What happens to a hybrid Psion who takes Discipline Adept, which lets a Psion have 2 uses of his Discipline Focus powers per encounter? Does he get 2 uses of the one DF power he gained as a hybrid, or does he actually get full value of the feat, meaning he gets 2 uses of the DF power he didn't learn (because of his hybrid status) as well?

DracoSuave

First Post
1) If I use Battlemind's Demand- which marks foes- through something like a Dream Self or Intellect Prism, what must the marked creature attack to avoid the penalties of being marked, the caster or his proxy?

The caster. Attacking a proxy might also count, depending on how the ability works. In the case of the dream form, it is not you but just an attackable conjuration, so it doesn't count as a 'safe' target for your mark.

2) What happens to a hybrid Warlock who takes Twofold Pact, which grants full access to a second pact? Does he get full access, or is his benefit limited to the same extent as his primary pact?

You can only claim whatever benefits from your pact that you currently have available from class features. In the case of the hybrid, the only benefit you can claim is meeting prerequisites, unless you have Warlock Pact Boon as a talent, you'll have both.

3) What happens to a hybrid Psion who takes Discipline Adept, which lets a Psion have 2 uses of his Discipline Focus powers per encounter? Does he get 2 uses of the one DF power he gained as a hybrid, or does he actually get full value of the feat, meaning he gets 2 uses of the DF power he didn't learn (because of his hybrid status) as well?

The feat does not grant any additional powers.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Thanks for the response- that's pretty much how I thought the last one would work.

On the first one, you responded:

The caster. Attacking a proxy might also count, depending on how the ability works. In the case of the dream form, it is not you but just an attackable conjuration, so it doesn't count as a 'safe' target for your mark.

In all the powers I've looked at that inspired me to ask this question, the proxies let you 1) cast any psionic power through them, and/or 2) cast ANY power through them and/or 3) do melee attacks with them, depending on their power level.

All may be attacked: some are dispelled by a single point of damage, some use your HP. At least one I've found makes you immaterial while your proxy is around.

None seem to be "you" though.

I just want to get this all clarified before I use it, since it creates a problem for my foes no matter which way it works. If they have to attack the proxy, they won't be as interested in my allies (or me); if they have to attack me, I can put that mark on them via my proxy at such a range that it will affect their ability to make long distance attacks.

On the second:
You can only claim whatever benefits from your pact that you currently have available from class features. In the case of the hybrid, the only benefit you can claim is meeting prerequisites, unless you have Warlock Pact Boon as a talent, you'll have both.
I'm still not quite clear: are you saying that the feat would be limited to just giving you the prereq of qualifying as a warlock with the second pact and nothing else?

Last edited:

DracoSuave

First Post
I'm still not quite clear: are you saying that the feat would be limited to just giving you the prereq of qualifying as a warlock with the second pact and nothing else?

Exactly. In order to benefit from the Pact Boon of a pact, you actually have to have the class feature of the Pact Boon. Hybrid (by default) does not have that class feature, so it doesn't get any boons.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
YEARGH!

OK, why did you change your answer?

I mean, I can understand getting full access to the second pact- that IS what the feat says, after all- but even though I think it would be bass-ackwards, I can see how the primary pact would still be limited by the hybrid rules, RAW.

Did you see some kind of errata on that?

DracoSuave

First Post
YEARGH!

OK, why did you change your answer?

I mean, I can understand getting full access to the second pact- that IS what the feat says, after all- but even though I think it would be bass-ackwards, I can see how the primary pact would still be limited by the hybrid rules, RAW.

Did you see some kind of errata on that?

No no, it's the second pact.

SEE! SIX TIMES AS WRONG.

Remove ads