• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Psionics, Learned or Inherent Ability?

a-d

First Post
Question
Are Psionic powers an ability you either do or do not have, or can they be learned?

Reason
My current character is built around the concept of a normal human learning everything they can and teaching it to others.

Question
Should psionics be on their list?

It varies by setting.

IMO, it's inborn, but I'd allow a PC to multiclass, same with sorcerer.

"You discover something about yourself. You can move stuff with your mind."

Gaining a level in a new class would take some RP training anyway, so visiting someone to unlock your mind should be taken care of between sessions.

a-d

First Post
When you say it varies by setting, do you mean that in the same way a person might claim that the ability to learn magic varies by setting?

Or is the ability for anyone who wants to being able to learn how to cast spells much more firmly entrenched or even completely unquestioned?

When you say it varies by setting, do you mean that in the same way a person might claim that the ability to learn magic varies by setting?

Or is the ability for anyone who wants to being able to learn how to cast spells much more firmly entrenched or even completely unquestioned?

I don't know of any settings that impose strict mechanical (in-game) rules on who can learn magic or not, and why. So I'd go with the first thing you said, probably.

S

Sunseeker

I would say the talent for it is inborn, much like sorcery, but leveling and XP represents what it always has: the character learning and growing their skills and talents.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
I have no reason to believe, in the D&D universe, that anyone with the proper base stats should be unable to develop levels in any class.

Any Commoner has the potential to become a level 1 whatever. the Sorcerer and Warlock classes are the only ones I'm aware of that mechanically tie into a bloodline inherited ability.

Ahnehnois

First Post
No official answer, up to the DM, as others have said.

To me personally, psionics represents something that is strictly internal and is a property of having a thinking mind. Anyone in the fantasy world could see the future, if they knew how to look. This provides a contrast to magic, which is sourced externally. Maybe you get it by waving your hands around a particular way, or maybe you beg your god for it, but it's not a property of your character, and not necessarily anyone can have it.

With that in mind, to me anyone can (and should) learn how to use 100% of their brain, which in the game means using it to disintegrate things and read minds.

S

Sunseeker

Any Commoner has the potential to become a level 1 whatever. the Sorcerer and Warlock classes are the only ones I'm aware of that mechanically tie into a bloodline inherited ability.

At the same time, becoming a "level 1 something" that ties in to a bloodline or some such could be played off as that was the moment you discovered your bloodline! The same could hold true for any "innate talent" type class, NPC levels or a level of 0 simply means you haven't bothered looking in to if you have those things, but upon hitting level 1 in a class, that's your discovery that you have this innate talent.

SuperZero

First Post
I'd say that the raw ability is typically inborn, but learning how to actually use your powers can be learned from experience or taught.

But perhaps all minds have the potential, and an introspective enough psychic with a talent for explaining things might be able to figure out how he does it and then help somebody else unlock the secret. That could widen the potential pool of talents, but it's probably still not going to include everybody.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads