[Psionics] Non-Psionic "Hard-Headedness" Is Dumb,

angramainyu

Community Supporter
Hmmm.... what are some possible options?

-stunned
-dazed
-ability damage
-hit point damage
-temporary hit point damage
-confused
-nauseated
-shaken/frightened/panicked
-blinded
-exhausted/fatigued
-paralyzed

you could pick out different conditions that go with the different attack modes.

Henry

Autoexreginated
I don't mind the stunning, but I think the "mental hard-headedness" is kinda silly, myself.

I almost like Planesailing's idea, myself - just do away with the "mind-to-mind" combat entirely. It's not like it adds a huge amount of flavor, and in truth, it makes psions far too vulnerable to having their powers stripped out from under them. After all, there are only a few spells that can take away a wizard's ability to cast spells, but EVERY psion can strip another psion of his highest level abilities? Eh... I don't see it.

Anyone care to enlighten me?

DreamChaser

Explorer
FWIW I think that the whole "mental combat" aspect of psionics is a stupid thing!

Personally I love the flavour of psionics in every respect except psionic combat which seems like a lame holdover from pulp sci-fi novels and 1e D&D - especially since psionic combat is more of a liability for the psionic characters than a benefit.

Psions in my campaign are called Mages, they use a very different kind of magic to the other classes (the psionics rules) and no mind-to-mind combat. They have so far proven much more popular than wizards or sorcerers (although I can't think why!). Mind Blast is a 5th level telepathy power, and all the other modes and defences disappear.

I did something similar. I replaced psionic combat with bonus feats and did away with it completely. My reasoning was this:

1. psionic combat only comes into play in a psi heavy game. When I played Dark Sun I used psionic combat all the time but I don't think I have ever used it since.
    I agree that all in all, psionic combat hurts the psions more than anyone else. Sorcerers have no real way of destroying another sorcerer's ability to cast spells. I don't think psions should either.
    I felt like they were left in as a "sacred cow" because they had been there in the back of the 1e PHB. They don't match the system at all. The are the one part of the PsHB that I can think of not meshing.
    None of my players who play psions ever remember to use them. Not that I can blame them. They don't really know until its too late whether a target is psionic. Once they know that, there are generally more important things to do than mental sparing.
    [/list=1]

If psionic combat was going to be left in, I think it should have been as a simple, unified system, especially if I could be transfered over to work for wizards & sorcerers with ease--much like the psionics system was changed to fit with the existing spell system.

That's just my .02.
    DreamChaser

Last edited:

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Well, I like the idea of psionic combat - and since psi is so rare in Aquerra - the idea that psions are particularly vulnerable to other psions works for me. . .

My trouble is with psions vs. non-psions. . . . Well, I have to come up with something tonight - because tomorrow it is being introduced. . .

wish me luck.

Falconer

First Post
This is silly, after having looked over those rules they're fine.

This is one of the reasons that psionics are so disliked. The old ability of a psion to run roughshod over any non-psionic opposition because they had no defenses nor could they raise any.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
How is it silly to want the psionic attacks to acually have some flavor?

This is what I ended up doing:

Ego Whip: Non-Psionics suffer a -1 competence bonus to all attack and damage rolls, skill checks and saving throws for 1d4 rounds. This is because their ego is whip up into a swollen over-confident thing, making them sloppy.

Id Insinuation: This simply does the temporary ability score damage to non-psions as well, as their super-ego is supressed and their Id insinuates itself into the primary consciousness. (Note: I changed this to the INT attack mode instead of Strength one. It just made more sense to me that way).

Mind Thrust: Unchanged.

Psychic Crush: This does 1d4 points of temporary Wisdom damage to non-psions (half as much because of their buffer).

That's it.

Rinndalir

First Post
I agree with you that psionic combat sucks as is. I'm nuking it altogether from my campaign, although changing it up as you have is also a good option.

I'm still not quite willing to use "psionics is different" yet though - still reeling from the days of 2e... :)

Remove ads