• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Psionics query : Time regression

How does this power operate? It seems to me that if you go back through apparent time and change your actions (and more importantly, the actions of your party) that the monsters/NPCs you're facing would just change their tactics (since you can verbally tell others what will occur) and quite possibly put you in a worse situation...but is that protected via this power? If you relive these rounds, are all die rolls preserved (you'll still hit if you take the same action for the same damage...or you'll fail a save if you failed before?)

Your help is appreciated.

LordAO

First Post
I personally hate this power. I've seen it used in a game and it royally screwed everything up. We spent the next hour arguing and trying to figure out just how to remember and return everything to what it was 5 rounds ago (how many hit points did I have, spells, charges, etc).

After that we agreed to never use this power in our game again.

green slime

First Post
If you want to go mucking around with the time flow, you gotta keep GOOD track of what is occuring, at all times.

Not really worth the effort, except as a surprise on the players.

How does this power operate?

When things get tough, spend 1d4+1 rounds manifesting it, then relive those same 1d4+1 rounds. When times are tough, you are supposed to waste 1d4+1 full-round actions and XP. If you're doing that, you're probably going to die.

Suggestion: trade the power in for something else.

It seems to me that if you go back through apparent time and change your actions (and more importantly, the actions of your party)

Yes.

that the monsters/NPCs you're facing would just change their tactics (since you can verbally tell others what will occur)

No. Use a secret code, like saying "re-deal". That means your players will now try a different tactic. They might again pick a bad tactic, but it will be different from last time. The NPCs, on the other hand, don't know what happened, so they will act the same way.

and quite possibly put you in a worse situation...but is that protected via this power?

See above.

If you relive these rounds, are all die rolls preserved (you'll still hit if you take the same action for the same damage...or you'll fail a save if you failed before?)

No.

Dr_Rictus

First Post
LordAO said:
I personally hate this power. I've seen it used in a game and it royally screwed everything up. We spent the next hour arguing and trying to figure out just how to remember and return everything to what it was 5 rounds ago (how many hit points did I have, spells, charges, etc).

I hate to belabor the obvious, but that's why the manifestation time is the same as the amount of time regressed (and why they're both just a few rounds). You shouldn't have had to "remember" anything.

As soon as the psion starts manifesting, just start keeping track of changes (hit points lost/gained and spells used, mainly) on a separate sheet of paper. And throw those sheets out when the spell actually fires (or update your actual sheets appropriately if he gets disrupted). Instant saved game.

Dr_Rictus

First Post
(Psi)SeveredHead said:
No. Use a secret code, like saying "re-deal". That means your players will now try a different tactic. They might again pick a bad tactic, but it will be different from last time. The NPCs, on the other hand, don't know what happened, so they will act the same way.

Or better yet, assuming your psion has a Charisma of at least 11, use the mind links he should be maintaining with at least the key party members.

Yeah, I know the power says you can inform other people "verbally," as if you couldn't do anything else for some reason. That was dumb of them (I can say that because as a playtester on the PsiHB I was one of "them").

Dr_Rictus

First Post
(Psi)SeveredHead said:
When things get tough, spend 1d4+1 rounds manifesting it, then relive those same 1d4+1 rounds. When times are tough, you are supposed to waste 1d4+1 full-round actions and XP. If you're doing that, you're probably going to die.

You're not "wasting" 1d4+1 rounds. You're using it to gather information in an extremely powerful way. Though I suggest you consider this power more closely only if you also have schism, which helps keep your options open during that long manifestation time (and avoid having your manifestation disrupted, which is a waste).

Or better yet, assuming your psion has a Charisma of at least 11, use the mind links he should be maintaining with at least the key party members.

Interesting you would say that... IME most characters can't find enough stat-boosting items to do this.

Though I suggest you consider this power more closely only if you also have schism, which helps keep your options open during that long manifestation time (and avoid having your manifestation disrupted, which is a waste).

Now that's more like it ... but see the above point.

Tzarevitch

First Post
LordAO said:

Personally, I agree with you. I haven't seen it used in a game yet but I have seen the old horrid 2e Chronomancer supplement which produced similar abominations. I haven't permitted ANY abilty that retroactively causes wide-scale time alteration in any game I have run since then. I banned this power from my game the moment I read it.

For an ever bigger nightmare try the Wheel of Time weave Balefire. It allows you to destroy your foe AND it destroys him back through time for a couple of rounds as well, thereby undoing everything he had done for the last couple of rounds or so.

Tzarevitch

Last edited:

Dr_Rictus

First Post
(Psi)SeveredHead said:
Interesting you would say that... IME most characters can't find enough stat-boosting items to do this.

Hmm. I certainly take your word for it, but in my opinion you are aquainted with some very foolish psions.

Remove ads