Psionics -- why do people bother?

The_Gneech

Explorer
What do you think the Heart of Ahriman that resurrected Xaltotun in Robert E. Howard's Conan novel was? "An enormous gem?" Fah! It was a power crystal! :]

Actually, psionics do work nicely for a pulpish sword-and-sorcery with a vaguely Mythos feel in my opinion. In several of the Conan stories, sorcery (particlarly of the "weird Orient" style) was equated with mesmerism and hypnosis. Disembodied spirits racing beyond space and time? Past-life regression back to primordial ooze? Definitely sounds more like something from the EPH than Lord of the Rings to me.

Really, it's just a matter of what your inspiration is. I'm not particularly thrilled by the arm-in-arm relationship between psionics and the whole planar cosmology thing, just because I've never been fond of planehopping, but that's easy enough to just not mention...

-The Gneech :cool:

FireLance

Legend
Because the idea of doing something fantastic with only a thought - without the complicated mumbo-jumbo of arcane magic or the reliance on external powers of divine magic - is just so darn cool.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Psion said:
Let me lay this theory to rest. I have no special adoration for Dark Sun and didn't play many games in it.

I felt psionics had a place in fantasy long before Dark Sun. For those who base your definition of what belongs in fantasy on novels, I kindly refer you to Norton, Bradley, Kurtz and Brust.

Said it before I did and and used almost my same examples...you could add Julian May but that does veer off from "fantasy" a bit.

Psionics has always been in my game from the begining. It's the persecuted power in a magic accepted game. It's where Cthulhu meets mind flayers. It's actually (long story) the power of the gods (a blend of magic and belief).
It's fun when the payers reach high levels and discover their gods have the same powers on a grander scale as evil nasty mind flayers.

Contrary to those that suggest psionics doesn't fit fantasy, I think that this feel is MORE fitting of fantasy than the magic-as-a-science feel of core magic in D&D.

I agree.

Furthermore, I tend to like psionics, although I don't use them much. When DMing, I always welcome anyone willing to experiment with them.

I also agree that they DO fit with fantasy adventure settings, as long as those settings go beyond the traditional European style games.

And, for the record, I liked psionics long before Dark Sun was ever conceived.

All that being said, I should also point out that there are a few small things about 3.5 psionics that I don't really like, but those are minor things.

JDJarvis

First Post
Crazy rant i repeat time and again-
Psionics has nothing to do with science, it is has as much to do with science as wizards casting fireballs or clerics raising the dead. It is mystic mumbo jumbo plain and simple and fits in any realm of fantasy where someone wants to make room for it.

volcivar

First Post
<OT> I am one who has no special love or hate for Psionics. But in reading this thread, I have seen folks refer to Kurtz' Deryni series, equating that with Psionics. Why? I had the same question when the "Psionicist" was published in The Dragon many years ago. It also made this association.

When I read the Deryni novels I had the distict impression of Magic, nothing else. Perhaps, since I have read few DnD novels, my perception is different. Most of the Non-DnD fantasy novels that I have read feature Wizards that use no components, words, or gestures to make thier magic. If fact, in the Deryni series several magical rituals are described, some using specific words gestures and components. The ritual to impart magical ability to a normal person is one that springs to mind. </OT>

Back to the topic at hand:

People bother with Psionics for the same reasons people like any aspect of DnD. These reasons are usually varied and personal. I plan to run a psion next time I start a new character. My reason is curiosity. I haven't played a psionic character in quite a while, so I am interrested in how the 3.5 rules play out.

rushlight

Roll for Initiative!
JDJarvis said:
Crazy rant i repeat time and again-
Psionics has nothing to do with science, it is has as much to do with science as wizards casting fireballs or clerics raising the dead. It is mystic mumbo jumbo plain and simple and fits in any realm of fantasy where someone wants to make room for it.
Not necessarily...

I suppose the reason many people think psionics feel "scientific" is because of the association of the science and research done in that field. Psionics have a "scientific" background - the power of the mind, the traditional "90% of our brains we don't use", and that there are reasons behind the hows and whys of psionics.

Magic is just magic - arcane energies, ancient curses, bizarre and illogical results... these are the things of magic. There is no scientific reasoning, no justification. Why does it work? Why, it's just magic...

Just like if you add giant walking machines crewed with people - then you're leaning to anime. Sure, that's not always the case, but that's the first impression people will generally get - mechs and the like.

Of course, these aren't set in stone in any way. But that may help to explain why some people feel the way they do.

weiknarf

Explorer
volcivar said:
But in reading this thread, I have seen folks refer to Kurtz' Deryni series, equating that with Psionics. Why? I had the same question when the "Psionicist" was published in The Dragon many years ago. It also made this association.

When I read the Deryni novels I had the distict impression of Magic, nothing else. If fact, in the Deryni series several magical rituals are described, some using specific words gestures and components. The ritual to impart magical ability to a normal person is one that springs to mind. </OT>

I just recently read the first Deryn trilogy and in the forward of Deryni Rising the magic in the series was called psionic.

Last edited:

Virate

First Post
rushlight said:
Not necessarily...

I suppose the reason many people think psionics feel "scientific" is because of the association of the science and research done in that field.

If by science and research you mean the complete failure of ESP proponents to produce any solid evidence of their claims to scientists, then I suppose your right.

Psionics have a "scientific" background

Yes in that science has traditionally scoffed at the notion of ESP, Telekinesis, Remote Viewing, etc, as a pipedream with no basis in reality. And this isn't without merit as there have been no so-called psychics that have withstood the scrutiny of the scientific eye.

If anyone actually in this world had "Super Brain Powers" they would have already collected James Randi's 1 Million dollar prize.

- the power of the mind, the traditional "90% of our brains we don't use",

A misrepresentation of facts at best. You use all of your brain, you just don't fire EVERY NEURON at the same moment.

The same logic that says, "You only use 10% of your brain" can also be applied to your car engine, just because only one piston is fired at a time doesn't mean you are only using 13% of your car's V6 engine.

http://devotion.brookline.mec.edu/Webquest/Shana2/frame_3.htm

and that there are reasons behind the hows and whys of psionics.

Sorry, but Psionics are just as fictional as Magic. They are both 'make-believe' things, and have no scientific weight to them. The only difference between these two concepts is the time between their conception.

This is why psionics belongs in fantasy just as much as magic does.

Rifter

First Post
I have always liked Psionics

They have always added that strange... additional element. It seems natural to have mages that cast with their mind, mages that cast with their body (sorcerers) and mages that are "scientests" and learn to bend naturally occuring magic to their will (your average mage). The psychic warrior, I have always thought made sense, and the psion is a magic user done right. But, they all have their places.

Remove ads