• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Psionics

To what degree should psionics be incorporated into 5e?

I know psionics in D&D has been controversial since, heavens, the beginning practically. It's the old 'fantasy vs. scifi' argument that, I believe, really presents a false dichotomy (I prefer to think of both as subgenres in a larger 'speculative fiction' catagory or even a continuum. See Julian May's wonderful Saga of the Pliocene Exile for example).

But there are some people, like myself, who really appreciate psionic rules and deeply incorporate them into their campaigns. There's obviously a market for it--see Dark Sun and Eberron--so which flavour would you like to aspire to?

I don't particularly like the bolt-on approach that 1e and 2e had. 3e and above seemed to be much more integrated and that certainly helps.

Should it be part of the core system? Perhaps in its most basic form? Say, two psionic classes and equivalent disciplines? This way you treat them no differently than an arcane or divine class. It's just a different power source in that sense. Leave the expanded information for a supp later on.

Just a thought. I'm curious to see what others think...

Ahnehnois

First Post
I look at magic (arcane and divine) as a subset of psionics, conceptually. I'd like to see the rules designed that way.

But it'll never happen.

Realistically, I think an early release, comprehensive psionics book that uses a flexible, intuitive system completely distinct from Vancian, Spell Point, or 4e magic, and a good playtest before that, is the best we can hope for.

Last edited:

Psionics should be completely silo'd into a separate module. This has worked before, and I like this paradigm.

At best.

My personal wish is to never see psionics in D&D again, but giving a nod to other gamers who do like the system, I'm willing to compromise at an add-on module. And wouldn't that approach fit the stated intent of 5E to date?

SKyOdin

First Post
Psionics has been in D&D a long time, and has its fans. I actually like it, though I think some of the flavor and effects could use some overhaul. It definitely should be in 5E, even if it isn't in the first book.

I don't think psionics has ever been very successful in D&D. If it does make it into 5th Edition then it should be as a limited optional rule or something. My experience is there is usually one guy in every group who loves psionics while everyone else hates it.

Ahnehnois

First Post
I don't think psionics has ever been very successful in D&D. ... My experience is there is usually one guy in every group who loves psionics while everyone else hates it.
Sounds pretty successful to me. How often do all or even most of the players agree on anything?

Looking at it more historically, psionics has been very successful is some campaign settings, and the phrase 'wild talent' seems to light up the eyes of all the old-schoolers. I think its successes are qualified and limited but hardly nonexistent.

Sounds pretty successful to me. How often do all or even most of the players agree on anything?

Looking at it more historically, psionics has been very successful is some campaign settings, and the phrase 'wild talent' seems to light up the eyes of all the old-schoolers. I think its successes are qualified and limited but hardly nonexistent.

I agree psionics can be successful in the right setting. In Dark Sun it made total sense and worked wonderfully. However I think psionics isn't well suited to be part of the core rules of D&D.

Remove ads