• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

psions & the move silently skill

Mystendanian

First Post
I just realized that the move silently skill is not listed on pg 18 of the Psionics Handbook (the table that says what skills are class/cross-class/restricted based upon the Psion discipline).

Our group has not yet migrated to 3.5, but nonetheless I checked the 3.5 SRD but it isn't in there. I am making a soul-knife NPC and since it has a prereq of 3 ranks in move silently, I need to know for what psion disciplines is this skill a class skill?

Thanks,

Myst

Mystendanian

First Post
well, the thing is that it varies depending upon what discipline the psion takes (egoist, nomad, savant, shaper, seer, & telepath). It lists all of the class skills on pg 9 for each class, but move silently isn't listed on any of the classes. It is like they forgot to account for the skill altogether. I also checked wizard's errata, and it wasn't in there.

James McMurray

First Post
Then perhaps instead of forgetting to account for it they meant for none of the classes to get it? Then whoever was making the table just forgot to add it in (or purposefully left it off) because it was cross class for everyone.

The only one I could see possibly getting it is the Nomad, but even that's a stretch IMO.

Arkhandus

First Post
Well, assuming you mean 3.0 rules, Hide and Move Silently simply aren't class skills for any psionic class. They're cross-class skills for them. The table in the Psionics Handbook only notes the skills that are class skills for any of the Psion varieties or the Psychic Warrior. All skills not on that table are cross-class for all Psions and Psychic Warriors. Probably one reason why there are powers like Distract, Control Light, Sense Link, Chameleon, Invisibility, Control Sound, and False Sensory Input at very low levels, eh? {:^D

Coredump

Explorer
Are psionics covered in 3.5 yet? If so, what book?

edit: nevermind, just checked WoTC, and it is due in April.

Last edited:

Mystendanian said:
I just realized that the move silently skill is not listed on pg 18 of the Psionics Handbook (the table that says what skills are class/cross-class/restricted based upon the Psion discipline).

Our group has not yet migrated to 3.5, but nonetheless I checked the 3.5 SRD but it isn't in there. I am making a soul-knife NPC and since it has a prereq of 3 ranks in move silently, I need to know for what psion disciplines is this skill a class skill?

Thanks,

Myst

Move Silently is not a class skill for any of the psionic base classes.

Anyway, check better PrCs here: http://www.montecook.com/arch_stuff14.html

On another note, the soulknife requirements don't make any sense - making a PrC for psychic warriors is difficult because psychic warriors have low BAB, so you can't automatically put down a +5 BAB as a requirement.

Viktyr Gehrig

First Post
(Psi)SeveredHead said:
On another note, the soulknife requirements don't make any sense - making a PrC for psychic warriors is difficult because psychic warriors have low BAB, so you can't automatically put down a +5 BAB as a requirement.

I don't find the requirements unreasonable for a Rog1/PsW 6 (PsW 7 if you're not using fractional BAB)-- which is an entirely reasonable entry point for a PrC.

You could even get in as a simple PsW 7 if you didn't mind spending skill points on Move Silently as cross-class skill.

Base Attack Bonus: +3
Move Silently: 3 ranks
Base Power Points/Day: 9+
Knowledge (psionics): 3 ranks

A 4th-level psychic warrior with "maxed" out ranks in Knowledge (psionics) and Move Silently) and several helpings of Inner Strength could do it. Why wait until 7th?

They will be a suboptimal soulknife, but it's doable.

IMO a mind-blade requires a lot of Concentration... so Concentration 8 ranks. It's not really a cost, just a way of filling a minor loophole.

PS as for the legality of using Inner Strength for power points ... no one can decide on it. It's like using Alertness as a requirement for a spellcasting PrC.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads