• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Pteranodon Ranger

Aquion

First Post
Hello:

I'm DMing a group through a classic module campaign. The characters have just hit 4th level and are setting out for the Isle of Dread. One of my players is a Gnome Ranger (Beastmaster/archery fighting style) whose pet was recently killed. We were discussing a replacement pet that could be picked up on the Isle of Dread, and, of course, a Pteranodon came up. I like the idea, but I do not want it to get too OP. What kind of limits (if any) would you put on it to keep it from getting out of hand.

Thoughts I've had:
-Allow flying but not in combat ever.
-Allow flying in combat only after the Mounted Combatant feat is taken.
-Drop flying speed by half when mounted (becomes 30 ft. Instead of 60 ft.)

-Aquion

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
I personally do not like the Beast Master archetype as it is written specifically because the beast companion choices are so limited. That being said, you could always just reskin the Hawk and say it's a Pteranodon.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Do dungeon crawls. The flying will be fairly useless.

Make sure to put in enemies with attacks that can reach. Other fliers, ranged, maybe even another mounted pteranodon.

Make flying dangerous. Find reasons to call for checks to stay in the saddle.

He will need an exotic saddle. That's expensive. And require access to someone who can make it. Make that an adventure.

What town in their right mind is going to allow such a thing in coty limits? Force him to have to leave it behind.

But don't be afraid to let him shine once in a while. If it turns into a problem you can always kill it again.

Demorgus

Explorer
So I'd say that if the gnome ranger wants to ride it, he's going to need to purchase or make an exotic saddle. Otherwise, I don't think you really need to nerf the pteranodon.

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
Do dungeon crawls. The flying will be fairly useless.

Make sure to put in enemies with attacks that can reach. Other fliers, ranged, maybe even another mounted pteranodon.

Make flying dangerous. Find reasons to call for checks to stay in the saddle.

He will need an exotic saddle. That's expensive. And require access to someone who can make it. Make that an adventure.

What town in their right mind is going to allow such a thing in coty limits? Force him to have to leave it behind.

But don't be afraid to let him shine once in a while. If it turns into a problem you can always kill it again.

I think this is a dangerous idea. Having a flying beast companion is not all that overpowered, especially given the limited combat potential beast companion's already have. It could be really upsetting to your player if he feels like you are purposely nerfing his beast companion choice.

Also, other possible choices to consider are reskinning the bloodhawk, or reducing the giant bat to medium size and reskinning that as a Pteranodon.

EDIT: Reread the post. Seems like you already have the stats you want for the beast companion, but are more concerned with the player using the beast as a mount. In 5e, mounted combat is a lot more streamlined and simple, but it doesn't really address flying mounts very well. I would personally say there's nothing wrong with him being mounted, but he should remember that his mount will likely soak up most of the damage, and beast companions tend to be more squishy than their masters, which could cause him to fall every once in a while. But as with any player that relies on a particular strategy, good DMs will know how to play their monsters. Smart monsters will likely seek cover after a few rounds of getting shot at and force the player to land, or will focus on him and bring him down. Not to mention, flying is not always the best way to fight.

Last edited:

Aquion

First Post
The MM has all the stats for a Pteranodon (it's under dinosaur).

Personally, I'd be afraid to fly it in combat w/o the Mounted Combatant feat because of how squishy ranger pets are.

I think I will halve the flying speed when the gnome is riding it. That way the gnome gets a little more maneuverability (+5 ft.). 60 ft. In combat is too much.

Also, the Pteranodon does not get the benefit of its "flyby" ability while mounted.

Last edited:

jodyjohnson

Adventurer
Isle of Dread is mostly jungle. Flying for a pteranodon should probably be limited to above the canopy or in open areas.

Watery marshes, tall grass, and the mountains are open enough.

While in jungle areas the flying character would be separated from the party. Even though it is outside it would grid out more like a dungeon/cave.

Last edited:

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Hello:

I'm DMing a group through a classic module campaign. The characters have just hit 4th level and are setting out for the Isle of Dread. One of my players is a Gnome Ranger (Beastmaster/archery fighting style) whose pet was recently killed. We were discussing a replacement pet that could be picked up on the Isle of Dread, and, of course, a Pteranodon came up. I like the idea, but I do not want it to get too OP. What kind of limits (if any) would you put on it to keep it from getting out of hand.

Thoughts I've had:
-Allow flying but not in combat ever.
-Allow flying in combat only after the Mounted Combatant feat is taken.
-Drop flying speed by half when mounted (becomes 30 ft. Instead of 60 ft.)

-Aquion

As long as it is a sufficient challenge just to acquire and tame one, I would suggest leaving it as-is.

DeanP

Explorer
I agree with Iserith. Why change it all? It's not going to be useful every adventure, it's different, fun and adds flavor. Other characters I'm sure will be getting interesting doo dads and so forth. Have a little fun with it.

Last edited:

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
The MM has all the stats for a Pteranodon (it's under dinosaur).

Personally, I'd be afraid to fly it in combat w/o the Mounted Combatant feat because of how squishy ranger pets are.

I think I will halve the flying speed when the gnome is riding it. That way the gnome gets a little more maneuverability (+5 ft.). 60 ft. In combat is too much.

Also, the Pteranodon does not get the benefit of its "flyby" ability while mounted.

How did I miss that there are dinosaurs in the MM?!?! O.O

Remove ads