• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ptolus: Midwood - "The Dark Waters of Moss Pond"

bissichan

First Post
The main reason why Emmerson went along with the kobolds was because he thought a battalion of them was approaching (with the Queen in tow) and those six were the forerunners.

I don't know why I thought that. If I had known they were it, Emmerson would have refused the whole hostage exchange thing.

Gnome Quixote

First Post
Heh, for a few tense moments there, I thought Bufer's refusal to heal Renraw was going to come back and bite him in the ass. I would have been OK with it if Renraw'd decided not to save Bufer--it would have been completely in-character for Renraw to let Bufer die--but I still breathed a huge sigh of relief when Ren inexplicably decided to stabilize him.

Renraw Kem

First Post
Heh. I had to do some twisty rationalizations for that. Renraw saved Emus first because he kind of liked Emus (as much as Renraw can like a person, anyway). If Kat and Tucker weren't right behind, he likely would've left Bufer to Emmerson's fate. He didn't think he could get away with it, though.

If Adventure 3 didn't change the game so drastically, I'm not sure where the Renraw/Bufer thing would've gone, but he REALLY wasn't happy about having to save him.

And if he wasn't so freaked out about what he had to do next, he likely would've stuck around to take credit for the save. Don't be surprised if he pops up to rub that one in again someday.

bissichan said:
We had a plan. Supposedly the noisy paladin was going to stay behind and issue a challenge while the sneaky druid/barbarian was going to flank them.
Wha huh? I just went through all of the PMs we had before rushing in there, and while that was your plan, I came up with an alternative, and you said, "Ooh! Good points."

Which to me means, "Okay, let's go with your plan of just rushing in there and kill them all."

:)

Gnome Quixote

First Post
Everything that's been posted from Emmerson's resurrection onwards is kind of a revelation to most of the players. Most of us didn't see Hazel and Kat's expedition into Fibber's Cairn until months after the fact, and the stuff with Renraw, Tock, Ragglus and Tosh was news to the rest of us until only a few days ago.

To which I can only say: bravo! I've painted Bufer as being "tricksy", and some of the players have been very kind in going along with it, but it's clear that Tock, Renraw and company are operating on a whole other level that Bufer and I would need a stepladder to reach.

Trench

First Post
Bufer, I think, can be called tricksy.

Renraw and Tock are just bastards.

I really very much dug this adventure, simply because it told me a lot about Kat. My first concept of him was sort of a weird combination of Indiana Jones and Monk. Completely paranoid and OCD, but still functional when exploring. As I wrote him, he surprised me by being positively autistic.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
The third Midwood adventure began on May 20, 2006. After the dungeon crawl the first time out, and the player-driven mischief (and disastrous combat) the second time out, I figured I'd let everyone get their roleplaying on in what was supposed to just be a fun holiday in town.

We also added another player to the group for this adventure, but he only lasted this one adventure due to a difference in playing style. It's not the scoundrel stuff he gets up to -- Tock and Renraw have already blazed that trail -- he just was looking for a more battlegrid-and-strict-initiative way of playing than worked for me in this pbp format. Stotch isn't the last player character to be added to the mix for (so far) one adventure only; two more show up in the next adventure.

Gnome Quixote

First Post
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
"Oh, hello, Deputy Gottaway," Dalarn grins.

BWAH-HAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Man, I have been struggling to come up with a nickname for Bufer to give Tucker for months. How did I not tumble to that one?! How did I miss it the first time you posted it?!

That's brilliant. I am so stealing that...

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Readers of the Tome of Magic can guess at the exact identity of the Great Lost Crafts. This off-hand reference lets me introduce these magics later on in the game without them coming from nowhere, but to leave them off stage as long as I want in the interim.

Likewise, readers of the Fiend Folio can likely guess at the identity of the Invisible Kingdom's rebellious slaves.

Remove ads