• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ptolus mini-campaign : Player characters

So we started a mini-campaign set in Ptolus using 13th Age. We played 1 session so far and had a great time.

I asked them to have a connection in their background with a former delving group (The Commpany of the Ten Pilgrims). The story will revolve around a famous vault they discovered and filled with awesome artefacts and other macguffins. Some made direct links (either in their OUT or their background), some made indirect links.

The characters are :

Melchior
Race: Halfling
Class: Rogue
Icons: Balacazar crime famile (++), Commissar and his men (+)
One unique thing: He once had to deliver an ancient relic that cursed him. He's now as tall as a human, but with halfling facial features. Quite unsettling.
Background of notes (or that I can remember): Diplomat and negociator of the Imperial 13th Legion, Spy

Sethimus
Race: Dwarf of the Grailwarden clan
Class: Rogue
Icons: Longfingers thief guild (++), Commissar and his men (+)
One unique thing: For some reason he doesn't know, the 2 biggest crime organizations thinks he's a double agent for the commissar.
Background of notes (or that I can remember): Week-end hobo, illegal transcations middleman, coal miner, highway banditry

Dorn
Race: Human
Class: Fighter
Icons: Keepers of the Veil (++), Commissar and his men (+)
One unique thing: Last surviving founding member of the Company of the Ten Pilgrims (a delving team at the center of the mini-campaign)
Background of notes (or that I can remember): Member of the Company of the Ten Pilgrims
Note: He's going to rearrange his background points, now that he understand what they are for.

Faeryl
Race: Harrow elf (which uses the drow stats)
Class: Sorcerer
Icons: Chaos Cult (technically 1 positive, but we'll need to chat about it), Iron Mage (++)
One unique thing: She's the reincarnation of Parnaith, famous maker of the jewels or Parnaith, and wife to Danar, who made the banewarrens
Background of notes (or that I can remember): Chaos cult member
Note: She's also going to rearrange his background points, now that he understand what they are for.

Ambrosius
Race: Human
Class: Wizard
Icons: Inverted Pyramid (++), Commissar and his men (+)
One unique thing: Only one who remembers the existance of his wife, a member of the Company of the Ten Pilgrims
Background of notes (or that I can remember): Goldshield mage, Bookseller/scribe

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Good stuff.

I've been running a Ptolus campaign since early 2006, and it's a great setting. It'll be interesting to see how those motivations influence your campaign; it certainly seems like there's a real chance they'll turn on each other very quickly, other than the wizard and fighter.

Balesir

Adventurer
Are the Icon relationships really all positive, or is that not what the '+' signs mean? If they are all positive, it seems a bit... unbalanced?

As an aside, that led me to wonder what a good "shorthand" would be for 'conflicted' relationships. 'x', maybe? So positive = '+', negative = '-' and conflicted = 'x'?

Edit: by "unbalanced", I don't mean in a rules/game sense, but in a dramatic/story sense, just to be clear.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 4

Yes, they're all positives.

I think it's a lot more clear what you can get out of a positive relationship than a negative one. Since we used organizations as icons, they didn't know which ones were enemies / rivals. So they don't know who can help them if they have a negative relationship to the Inverted Pyramid, for example.

A better symbol for conflicted could be "/".

Imaro

Legend
Hey Eminence_Grise, cool start to your campaign.

I'm unfamiliar with the details of Ptolus as a setting but was a little unclear as to whether the main focus of this mini-campaign will be the retrieval of the artefacts from the vault, ie a dungeoncrawl, the retrieval of the artefacts from elsewhere or if that is just the backdrop to bring the characters together and the campaign will be centered around something different?

The focus of the mini-campaign is to find and open the Vault of the Company of the Ten Pilgrims. Most characters have reasons to want it open. I didn't include it, since some of them are somewhat secret from other players.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
The focus of the mini-campaign is to find and open the Vault of the Company of the Ten Pilgrims. Most characters have reasons to want it open. I didn't include it, since some of them are somewhat secret from other players.
I predict that they find and open the vault, then unexpected things happen. :cool:

Thank you. I am available for parties and local events.

Good luck, Eminence_Grise. Please let us know how it works out.

Balesir

Adventurer
Yes, they're all positives.

I think it's a lot more clear what you can get out of a positive relationship than a negative one. Since we used organizations as icons, they didn't know which ones were enemies / rivals. So they don't know who can help them if they have a negative relationship to the Inverted Pyramid, for example.
Ah, OK - that's a useful bit of experience to incorporate into Icon design for any setting, maybe - thanks for that!
A better symbol for conflicted could be "/".
I thought of "/", but it is often used for either/or indication, which I thought might make it potentially confusing. For example, does +/- mean "one positive, one conflicted and one negative" or does it mean "one positive or one negative"?

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 4

Remove ads