• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Published Adventure Mash-ups

Dwimmerlied

First Post
Its probably a common thing to read through what is generally an awesome adventure concept and find things that really grate, and that you absolutley must change; Sometimes I'm reading through published modules and imagine hooks and tie-ins to other material that are so obvious and such a cool idea that they just have to be done.

I've always thought it an interesting statement some folk make that using published material is for people who don't have the imagination to make something cool of their own, because one of my favourite creative outlets is to tinker with other people's great ideas to make something new. In particular, choosing two (or more) published aventures from any source and then finding ways that they can be merged and weaved together always results in emergent properties and gives the individual plots a life of their own.

I'm tinkering with Sunless Citadel from 3.0 at the moment. This is one of my favourites, but I really don't like the twig blights or the underdark bit, so I've stuck with the Citadel level. I used an old module from dungeon magazine called Within the Circle, stealing the goblin tribe from that adventure and adding them. In this adventure there is a sneaky little snivelling bastard called Belig, who was always trying to get one up on his chieftain Krig, and these two made an excellent addtion to the goblin tribe, providing further opportunities in this adventure for "social solutions" and cool alternatives to overcoming the challenges - characters could now finesse large parts of the adventure with creative ideas, without taking from the cool factor. For those who are familiar with the module, I also stole a fiendish red wyrmling from another adventure and used him instead of the white wyrmling Calcryx, as a scion of Ashardalon himself, adding to the history of the campaign.

Does anyone else do this? Have you come up with some cool combos, or found some unique challenges?

Last edited:

Remove ads