• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Published persistent mega-dungeons

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
So my idea of a campaign dungeon includes the concept that it should support multiple levels of play, and that it should be able to support more than one group rising through their PC levels, and that it should be large and open ended enough to support all that without becoming empty and "beaten." That means you'll need very large levels for the first few levels, especially (where there's a lot more exploration and a lot more PC attrition). You'll also need a lot of dynamism, so that sections of the dungeon can repopulate, adapt, and change as play continues. The need for these elements is one reason why I like the mythic underworld concept for these kinds of dungeons. It provides some justification for the expansiveness and the weirdness and the changeability that makes a campaign-style dungeon viable and interesting, without just throwing the ideas of ecology, purpose, and verisimilitude out the window.

That's as apt an explanation of the megadungeon as I have read.

Last edited:

Mexal

First Post
The Dungeon Under the Mountain from 0one Games is massive... while it's a mapset rather than a full-fledged and populated adventure setting, assorted individual bits have been detailed in the 'Rooms & Encounters' series.

Bullgrit

Adventurer
Is it ironic that there are more mega-dungeons published lately (since 2000) than there were published during the old days?

Bullgrit

Odhanan

Adventurer
Is it ironic that there are more mega-dungeons published lately (since 2000) than there were published during the old days?

Bullgrit
Nope. Considering that a mega-dungeon is a living construct that benefits from gradual improvements, rewrites, modifications and actual play, it's actually totally understandable. It's a distillation process, and it's one of the hardest products to actually build effectively, because there's no "design by committee" silver bullet on this one.

Odhanan

Adventurer
Folks interested in the dungeons below Ptolus developed as a mythic underworld might be interested in this piece: Mythopoeic Rambling: Guest Post: Ptolus as Mythic Underworld.
Oh my Lord! I gave this precise subject a lot of thought as I prepared by current AD&D First Ed campaign set in Ptolus in 431 IA, and still do now as I am running it. I will have to print this out and read it with attention. I'll comment there, if there is anything I have to say once my reading is done.

Thank you very much for the link. :)

Stormonu

Legend
There's an extensive dungeonworks in Dragon Mountain as I recall, so this may fit the bill. I also seem to remember an extensive dungeon set up in Axe of the Dwarvish Lords, but exploration of said dungeons, I do not think, was the goal.

Would the Caves of Chaos fit in as a low-level version of a megadungeon?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads