• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Publishers: Where are your 3.5 Updates?

JoeGKushner

First Post
So do you think we'll see publishers update their material via PDF, quietly ignore any updates until reprints/revisions or just little pieces here and there?

I for one hope that some publishers are pro-active and have material already ready to roll to update their old stuff. Swashbuckling Adventurers for example, probably needs a lot of updates since it has so much gaming material in.

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
I'll be updating older material right along with producing new material...all in PDF format.

Well, I have only had the books since yesterday and the SRD is still not available (that I'm aware of). I'll be updating most everything over the next few months. For a revision with very little impact they changed a lot of spells' school designations.

JoeGKushner

First Post
Thanks for the quick posts gentlemen.

How about the companies that have had the SRD befor the books hit the shelves?

How about those products that have already gone for 2nd and 3rd printings? AEG's Dungeon hits that spot as it's got a new spiffy cover now.

d20Dwarf

Explorer
Nobody has the SRD, nor has anyone had the SRD, because the SRD is not finished.

It is scheduled to appear at midnight of the 27th.

JoeGKushner

First Post
Ah, no SRD?

I was under the impression that many companies received pre-approved versions of the SRD in order to make their products compliant with 3.5 ala Warcraft, City State of the Invincible Warlord and the many other 3.5 compliant books coming out.

Or am I thinking of something completely different?

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
It seems to me the advance copies were given as a sort of "gentleperson's agreement" so some companies could get a head start on the new rules. I'm sure it has been helpful to them to know what the major changes are, but without an actual SRD they can only do so much. If anyone has jumped the gun and included anything that is in the books but not in the revised SRD (due on the 24th, IIRC) we'll have to wait and see what ramifications are tied to that decision. Since most mechanics get into the SRD and it's fairly easy to distinguish Intellectual Property (major character names included in spells or magic items, specific creatures that were off limits in the first/final original SRD) at this point, I doubt we'll see any problems with the early entries into the "revised market" when that comes to be. I'm sure those who chose to proceed worked cautiously or exchanged a few Emails with Andy before making any decisions that might get them in hot water.

JoeGKushner

First Post
We also know from many comments that not everyone got ahold of this proto-SRD or 3.5 advanced screening but those that did had to include White Wolf, who already has at least one revised book, the Creature Collection coming out.

Some websites though, like AEG's don't tell ya squat and others are already into the whole 3.5 first(s), like Monkeygod and their first 3.5 Adventure, who it looks like will beat Necromancer as their Lost City was pushed back.

I'd just like to see how publishers will be handling the big books like AEG's Mercenaries, Mongoose Ultiamte Prestige Class I (will they update it, wait for the material it's drawn from to be updated and then update or ?), etc...

Voadam

Legend
Well many print publishers got the 3.5 books early with NDAs so they could get used to the rules and support the new edition/revision but pdf only publishers who did not have a WotC employee who worked on the revision (or hired one for an hour as a consultant) did not get advance copies.

Still I'd expect to see most pdf products eventually given 3.5 revisions just as we have seen pdf product revisions that have included errata or upgraded formatting, etc. It just might take a bit of time for that to come out. But on the plus side these revisions are usually free to those who own the original pdfs. PDf publishers may get a second minor marketing life out of this as they are in the public spotlight again when the revision is announced and they are released again as a new product.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads