• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Publishers & Writers Journal] Call for Submissions

Priest

First Post
The D20 Publishers & Writers Journal is a bi-monthly PDF magazine for publishers, editors, writers, and reviewers of the D20 System. Each issue will feature profiles, and articles written by both those just coming into to the field, and those that have been here awhile. These articles will cover topics that are of interest to publishers, and writers, or will cover topics such as new publishing software, printer press companies, layout tips, and reports on emerging publishers, and a highlight release list for all publishers. Our news section will update readers on new gaming current events, and special events. It will occasionally contain interviews with a star of the gaming industry, and other industry news.

The D20 Publishers & Writers Journal is mostly written by the submissions of the D20 System writing and publishing community, and freelancers. We’d be happy to read anything written well. Manuscripts should be typed, and double spaced and no more than 10 pages in length. If you send a proposal for an article instead of a manuscript, please send or point us to two samples of your previous works, and include an app. word count of the manuscript.

It usually takes a few weeks for us to respond to your manuscript, or query. The D20 Publishers & Writers Journal like its counterpart Asgard published by EN World’s Natural 20 Press, is mainly a print by donation venue. Meaning that we will pay for articles on a case-by-case basis. Since the magazine is itself free to everyone with an interest in publishing, and writing under the D20 system.

The D20 Publishers & Writers Journal is not a source of game information like Asgard is, and as such will not carry very much, if any, gaming material. Other than highlights on new innovations in open gaming content, such as FFG’s legendary classes rules, or the parrying rules from Dragon Ô #301 for example.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Nathaniel Jensen
Editor in Chief

Staffing Notes

A Side issue is the matter of Staffing we currently have and Editor in Chief (me), and a Staff Editor/ Layout Editor we are looking for a few good gamers from the Enworld that have skills in the following areas

PDF Design Job Filled, Thank you Todd

Contributing Editors We have three openings for editors willing, and knowledgible enough in the D20 system, and the workings of the OGL to write collumns about said topics in a well written manner. Again this is a hobby type job, and we are looking for those dedicated few who are willing to spend time (roughly eight hours) out of their week writing articles about the OGL, or helping the Staff Editor, or the Editor in Chief in insuring that well written material makes it on to the Magazines pages

Art Director While there is not going to be much in the way of pure and simple artwork (unless my plans go through and we begin to highlight RPG industry artists) We will need an Art Director to help the layout team, and to establish each issues cover whether photographs of Monte, or fantasy art, It will be up to you to make sure nothing gets printed upside down and on page 64 of a 60 page PDF.

Staff Reviewers Jobs Filled, thank you Sigil, and Crothian

Advertisement Director Your Job is to get the Industry to advertise in our magazine, and then cordinate with them to get their advertisement exactly the way they want it.

For Companies advertising through the D20 Publishers & Writers Journal is Free for banner sized advertisements, and will vary if you want larger sizes (such as a full page) though they to will likely be free for a good while. There is a Chance that this magazine might get packaged with the upcoming Ethos Magazine which will highlight the gaming side of the Industry though for now it is by itself.

Thanks for your time, and hope to hear from you all soon

N.J. ed.

Last edited:

This is a really cool idea. I very much hope to be able to submit at some point, though my writing/developing schedule at the moment means it won't be for a while yet.

However, I would very much like to know how to get on the list to receive the newsletter. :)

Ghostwind

First Post
If you are looking for a site to host the new zine, get in touch with me. As for layout, I will vouch for Todd's skills. He's very good and amazingly fast...:)

DDK

Banned
Banned
Out of curiosity, how will this fit in with the planned PDF guide being produced by Morrus and RPGHost? Will it override that product, conflict with it, or is this ezine the evolution of that project?

The Sigil

Mr. 3000 (Words per post)
Re: A Call for Submissions

Priest said:
Staff Reviewers I want two of you who have already established your name somewhat as a reviewer to make good solid reviews of the latest that the D20 System has to offer. Also you will be expected to interview with the big names of the Industry such as most of the folks that post here at the Enworld Publishers Forum.
I don't know how "established" my name is though I am one of the more prolific reviewers here at ENWorld (with all of 21 reviews LOL) - only 14 folks have more reviews than I do, about half of which are the ENWorld Staff Reviewers, GameWyrd, and other such reviewers.

I'm probably a mildly controversial reviewer, though... samples of my work....

http://enworld.cyberstreet.com/reviews/index.php?sub=yes&where=reviewerlist&which=The Sigil

Seriously, though, I would be willing to do reviews with reasonable frequency, though I might beg off of certain products if there is a conflict of interest (what with my being somewhat in the industry as a publisher/writer). Contact me off-thread.

--The Sigil

Last edited:

Priest

First Post
First off thank you for the support it is nice to see that this Idea has merit, I would like to especially thank those who have offered to help out (Todd, Sigil) and I will be contacting you via email shortly to go over a few more details on what I plan to do with this magazine, and my personal project goals.

For those of you who are interested in writing articles for submission my email address below has been established for your questions or submissions

I would like it if you would send only

.RTF, .DOC, or .Txt files when submitting.

d20pw_StaffEditor@go.com

Ghostwind thanks for the offer and I will email you for details here soon.

And as for Questions about what Morrus or RPGHost are up to, and will I play into what they are doing, the answer is most likely we will remain to separate entities on the subject. I am basing my idea very loosely of the popular Poets & Writers Magazine and will mainly be looking for articles written to that caliber, and with the betterment of the Industry in mind. (Other magazines that come to mind or B&N's Book, and the Writers Digest magazine.

For the first Issue I would like to work on a Themed basis playing off the contest ran by WoTC, and that is Setting, I would like at least two good length articles about the Creation of Setting. Not the actual setting itself but the actual process behind a setting such as Scarred Lands or Kalamar, basically the behind the scenes work that goes into creating a published setting. Also insights on fleshing out Settings with Prestige Classes as Social Groups. An essay on building more believable kingdoms. A small article detailing Urban Areas Vrs. Wild Lands (Perhaps one of the companies coming out with a City guidebook could put a plug into their book by submitting a preview or an article that might not have made it into the final draft (HINT HINT HINT:) ). Lastly an article loosely titled The Names the Thing that details a few different processes of Naming (This article should be as generic as is humanly possible).

Does anyone know of a good interviewee for the first Issue. I would love it if I could get one with Monte to kick the product of to a start but perhaps Ed Greenwood, or E. Gary Gygax himself, who knows.

Edit: I Just wanted to confirm that E. Gary Gygax is my choice for Interviewee, Since he is the co-founder of D&D as it was, and a Father figure for the modern game, not to mention his recent releases are more setting based and less rules lawyer based so he fits nicely into the Theme of Issue #1 as a featured Interview, but if anyone else has a better suggestion, he's my personal choice.

Praise the maker that was quick, the main page already has a link heading here, egatz that was fast.

Last edited:

Priest

First Post
* Looking for three articles loosely bound to the theme Settings

I would like this to come from both the Writers, and the Publishers of the Industry

Examples I thought of are, Balancing Prestige, an article about how to write better Prestige classes (Better as in more well balanced with new innovative thought), Articles about naming do’s, and don’ts, a good statistics block for kingdoms. Articles on using geography for a more realistic setting, and how Geography might effect a Kingdoms history.

* An Article on the general do’s and don’t of Submissions (including a piece about what things to avoid in order to make a piece OGL compliant)

* Looking for letters from you folks about what you would like to see in the magazine. Since D20 Publishers & Writers is a fresh face to you let us know what you would like to see who knows it might make it in.

*Submit Reviews -though the Sigil has kindly stated he will write reviews for us a few more voices could not hurt.

Again to everyone who may want to advertise in the D20 P & W Journal Let us know its free advertisement at this point since I want this magazine to help out the Industry not steal money away from it.

PDF Publishers will always have four free Advertisement slots to advertise there material

Print Publishers the way I see this magazine in my mind The Front interior cover has a full page advertisement slot, we have one more within the pages (After the Themed Articles), and One full page on the Back Cover for advertisement. Interior Advertising will be done in Sidebar style, and in Double Note Card sized styles as well you will also be listed in the back interior cover in the list of Advertisements

Last edited:

rpghost

First Post
Priest said:
as for Questions about what Morrus or RPGHost are up to, and will I play into what they are doing, the answer is most likely we will remain to separate entities on the subject.

I was thinking of doing something simular too this but figured http://www.rpgfreelancers.com could probably handle it just fine. But another ezine geared toward the "business" end of things is fine by me.

In fact I have a domain: RPGWriter.com that I'm looking to get running soon. I have some basic resources setup but I wouldn't mind handing the site over to a project like this or at least help host it.

Anyway, I think the ePublishing book series we're going to be releasing is going to be in 3 parts. The first one being a general "how to" and resource manual that covers budgeting and all that stuff with a little d20. The second book (writen by Morrus) will be the d20 publishing primer/case study. The 3rd book will be about normal offset printing in the normal distribution channels. We already have the support/input/writings of several industry cornerstones (Monte, Bastion, John Nephew, etc). -- Whoops, sorry didn't mean to hijack your topic... just rambling.

James

P.S. Anyone wanting to apply to run any of our sites at RPGHost are welcome to write me at webmaster@rpghost.com - most of them are webmasterless- sites like RPGStory.com, RPGd20.com, RPGPrograms.com, RPGIndustry.com, and RPGWriter.com are all looking for talented owners (WITH THE TIME TO DO IT) - for free or store discounts of course :) -- whoops, did it again!

Last edited:

Liquide

DEX: 4
rpghost said:

P.S. Anyone wanting to apply to run any of our sites at RPGHost are welcome to write me at webmaster@rpghost.com - most of them are webmasterless- sites like RPGStory.com, RPGd20.com, RPGPrograms.com, RPGIndustry.com, and RPGWriter.com are all looking for talented owners (WITH THE TIME TO DO IT) - for free or store discounts of course :) -- whoops, did it again!

Depending on the time needed to run them I would be interested in shipping in on the RPGIndustry.com, still I would rather see that url as a melting point of ideas more then "yet another site" :)

Will fire off e-mail after breakfast.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads