• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pulp Inspiration: Where to go for pulp.

Albert_Fish

First Post
Ok, i have been interested in Victorian Genre games for a long while now. Recently Pulp has gotten my attention

So far i have gotten

Roleplaying

Cliffhangers: Gurps
Forbidden kingdoms: Otherworld Creations (d20)
Dungeon/Polyhedron PULP ADVENTURES
Pulp Adventure: ICE
Godlike: Hobgoblynn Press / Pagan Publishing ( world war 2)
Call of Cthulhu ( both the Chaosium and WOTC rules)

Comics

RUSE
The League of Extraordinary Men

Ok are there any books i am missing out on? I have heard of Bloodshadows, Gangbusters, and Agent 13 (TSR) but have not purchased any of them.

What comic books do you guys recomend?

Has anyone Ran such a game? a Pulp game i mean. How did it turn out? What rules would you prefer?

Are there any Pulp websites available for gamers ( i.e. stats)?

Albert_Fish

First Post
Pulp: it originally referred to teh shoddy paper that the stories were printed on. These stories were the biggest things going in the Depression ..later the pulps took the form of movies and Radio shows. They typically feature larger than life heroes and feats of Daring-do
Think of the movie the Rocketeer or the Shadow. Or Casa Blanca or The Maltese Falcon. Hell, Indiana Jones was total pulp.

Lovecraft and Howard were exceptionally popular pulp writers.

in any case, anyone else got any inspiration for gamers?

JeffB

Legend
You don't have on your list the absolutely best Pulp game I've seen yet (IMO of course).

Adventure! by White-Wolf

Awesome book (fun to read with lots of pulp tales), easy mechanics.

http://www.white-wolf.com/adventure.html

It's hard to find in most stores. Grab it while you can! (I think you can still order it direct from WW),and it won an origins award for best RPG of 2001.

CCamfield

First Post
I thought there was another pulp gaming thread here recently. And/or on rpg.net as well.

You really ought to track down "Adventure!" from White Wolf. It's a fantastic pulp game. I'm in a PBeM game of it at the moment.

"Danger Quest" is sort of so-so, it's futuristic-yet-30s-style pulp.

There's a GURPS: Cliffhangers which I think was recently updated and re-released.

As far as comics go, a few years ago there was a 4-part miniseries called Guns of the Dragon. Pulpy excellence in which a mixed band of characters attempt to recover two legendary Chinese swords... on an island of dinosaurs. And that's not even talking about the villains!

The character "Greyshirt" in Tomorrow's Stories is pretty pulpy, although he's more the figure around which stories are told rather than always being the hero.

Albert_Fish

First Post
LOL, how could i forget ADVENTURE! yeah i have that one as well. i wil be using a D20 rules set ( or variant) so i am aminly looking for ideas with crunchy bits ;) (rules)

kengar

First Post
Dashiell Hammett ("The Maltese Falcon", "The Glass Key', The 'Continental Op' short stories).

Raymond Chandler ("The Big Sleep", etc.)

Mickey Spillane's Mike Hammer novels ("I, the Jury") is an example of later pulp.

"The Shadow" radio show and stories from "Black Mask" magazine.

all of these are pulp.

CerebusBlack

First Post
Gear Krieg

Elsewehere on this board, I have seen Gear Krieg reccomended. It is a WW2 pulpy thing. I believe it has a weird science aspect to it as well, but I have only glanced through a copy. It is worth a look, at least.

Jonathan

Remove ads