• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pulpy Pulperson and the Poly Update

Krail Stromquism

First Post
Does anyone out there remember Pulp Adventures?

anyone?

The Poly update of Pulp to D20 Modern seems like a total shaft.

If your a Scientist what do you do? Be a smart hero for a few levels? how sucky is that?

Has anyone coverted their Pulp game to use the Poly/Modern update?

I dont like it. No sir, I dont like it one bit.

any suggestions from playaz or Dms? (besides stop whining)

thanks!

Darrin Drader

Explorer
Don't like it, don't use it. The original Pulp heroes was a stand-alone game. The new article revisits it by making it fully D20 Modern compatible. Does your game have to be fully D20 Modern compatible? Of course not. Did the scientist get the shaft? Sure, Why not? This seems like an article better suited for a new campaign that will start in the future rather than conversion notes for an existing one.

commando cody

First Post
yep, from what i have seen so far on lists and emails, most people that like the pulp heroes game as sticking to it..... i believe tim hartin of the best pulp heroes site around .... http://www.paratime.ca/d20/pulp/ ..... is sticking to the old version, so at least there is some support for it out there...

Darrin Drader

Explorer
Ranger REG said:
So, is this a "I hate PULP HEROES author David Noonan" thread?

Of course not. This is a "you don't have to use the new material if you don't want to" thread. Personally, if I were going to start a new pulp D20 game, I would use the new material, but that's only because I like my modern games to be compatible with D20 Modern. And the changes are not all that bad if you'er coming in fresh with new characters.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Alright, so my next question is: What is it about the Scientist advanced class that you find lacking?

It can't be the requirements. You need only three skills, most (if not all) of which can be taken as permanent class skills when choosing a Technician occupation (or the All-American in PULP HEROES). That way, any Hero class can become a Scientist by 5th character level.

JPL

Adventurer
You already complained about this in another thread.

And like I said there: to each his own. I dig the new game, you don't, live and let live.

Actually, I think you could even get away with mixing the original Pulp Heroes base classes with the d20 Modern stuff. If that scientist just isn't converting the way you want, you could plug him right into a Pulp d20 Modern game with very little difficulty.

Ranger REG

Explorer
I'm still waiting for your complaint on the Scientist advanced class, Krail Stromquism. Or do you wish to ask the court for a continuance as you gather more information?

JPL

Adventurer
Well, the d20 Modern scientist is only a 10-level class, and you can't take a level of scientist until 4th level or so.

So I suppose one argument is that this effectively caps the tech level and shifts all discoveries to a higher level.

In other words, an original recipe Scientist 4 has more cool discoveries and inventions than an extra crispy Smart Hero 3 / Scientist 1 [although the latter has some other cool stuff, like bonus feats and talents].

Likewise, an original recipe Scientist 13 can still look forward to 7 more levels of increasingly hoo-hah discoveries and inventions[the wish machine, to name one], but the Smart Hero 3 / Scientist 10 is all hoo-hahed out.

Remove ads