Punk

Tsyr

Explorer
See, actualy, I felt that the acting talent was all surprisingly good in that movie.

I don't go into a movie saying "Ok, it's Reeves, therefor he sucks automaticly...". I thought that most of the actors, and yes, that includes Reeves, did a decent to good job in that movie, of getting across a fairly specific feel. Reeves played his role quite well, IMO.

Now, I'll agree on the girl who played the street sam...

Aitch Eye

First Post
WizarDru said:
Tim Powers' Anubis Gates being labeled as Steampunk would be something of forcing a square peg into a round hole, IMHO. While it does have strange occurences with the eqyptian magicians and a variation of Sping-Heeled Jack (though it would years before I even knew who that was), it's mostly a book about head-twisting time travel tricks and hanging with Shelley and Byron. [/size]

If so, then the term has mutated, and the genre become defined by authors who came later. I finally managed to remember where I saw what is, as far as I can tell, the first citation of the term, from a letter in Locus #315, April 1987 (The Word Spy steampunk page has a different earliest citation from a couple of months later, but still attributed to Jeter):

"Enclosed is a copy of my 1979 novel Morlock Night; I'd appreciate your being so good as to route it Faren Miller, as it's a prime piece of evidence in the great debate as to who in "the Powers/Blaylock/Jeter fantasy triumvirate" was writing in the "gonzo-historical manner" first.

"Though of course, I did find her review in the March Locus to be quite flattering. Personally, I think Victorian fantasies are going to be the next big thing, as long as we can come up with a fitting collective term for Powers, Blaylock and myself. Something based on the appropriate technology of the era; like "steampunks," perhaps ...

-- K.W. Jeter."

( http://www.timpowers.info/ click on "Published Interviews and Articles")

It's generally acknowledged most places that I've seen that those three are the founders of the genre, with The Anubis Gates being singled out in particular. The authors they to whatever extant influenced or set things up for have become what people think of, and the guy who was called "Steampunk Timmie" in 1991 now seems to be the equivalent of classic rock.

Edit: The term "Gaslight Romance" has also been connected with the steampunk genre, some might find that more palatable and useful for a lot of it.

Last edited:

Praeco

First Post
Some bands that you might consider punk today, and that I highly recommend are: Alkaline Trio, Flogging Molly, Dropkick Murphys, Alkaline Trio, Tsunami Bomb, Authority Zero, Alkaline Trio, Finch, and Alkaline Trio.

(notice a pattern?)

Yea, there are an awful lot of punk bands named 'Alkaline Trio' apparently.

Remove ads