• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Puns, Bad Jokes, and Other Disruptions to the Illusion of Reality

Samothdm

First Post
gamecat said:
The games my group and I play seem to be an endless series of bad puns and star wars quotes. grgh.

I didn't know it was possible to play D&D without this. Oh, and Monty Python quotes. A must.

I've noticed I have a very different attitude as a player versus as a DM, but my DM when I play basically told me that jokes were part of the fun and were expected and encouraged, in moderation. We're on the older side of the gaming curve at this point, so hanging out and trying to out-wit each other often takes the primary role over just gaming.

Samothdm

First Post
darkelfo said:
One thing that's cool is that we also organize hang out sessions in additon to the games. That let's us be social and just kick it, which I am ALL for; makes the game go better and it's just cool. When game time comes, though, a little more focus could be very rewarding, not to mention respectful of the GM's efforts to create mode, intrigue, and story lines.

That's a great idea. We do that, and I guess I always thought it was pretty normal behavior. I wonder how many other groups have these kinds of "outlets", though?

And, as a DM sometimes, I can appreciate what you say about being respectful of the GM's efforts to create the world. Sometimes I get upset when my players joke about things that I've worked on, but then realize that a few days before I was doing the exact same thing to my DM, so I just kick back, chalk it up to part of the game, and laugh along with everyone else.

twofalls

DM Beadle
Gaming is a large part of my life, and encompases most of my social life with my friends. I have two game groups, an every other Friday night group that contains friends whom I work with, so I have outside time with them at work. Then there is my primary group which meets every other Saturday and includes friends whom I've gamed with for over 25 years.

My primary group are members of the SCA (in the household I also belong to) so I spend time with them there, and includes all of my best friends besides my wife (who thinks gaming is a great outlet... but just for me not us ;) ). So we do all types of things together. When we game we get down to it and really go into the story and plot and play out our characters. We have an hour of BS time before the game starts and once a year we have a game weekend were we leave town, get a cabin/condo/or even sometimes tents and have a whole weekend were we just game like we were kids again. I don't know how important other people's game groups are to them, but to me no value can be placed on them.

How did I get off on this tangent? Not trying to derail this thread, sorry! :heh:

shilsen

Adventurer
Depends on the group. Both of the groups I DM for have a good amount of OOC conversation and humor at the table, and at least one person is an incorrigible joker (I'm looking at you, John!) and pun-dit (sorry, so am I). But we also do a lot of fairly immersive in-character roleplaying, and most importanly, enjoy ourselves. So even though I would ideally have a little less OOC stuff go on at the table, it really doesn't bother me. You just have to find a workable balance for yourself and your group.

Cold Beer

First Post
darkelfo said:
I guess it's a question of degrees. Sometimes I really appreciate the joking 'cause we really get to laughing and that's always awesome.

On the other hand, we typically only have three hours or so to play since we're all adults with lives and families. Scheduling is a game can be difficult. Seems like such a waste when we finally sit down to play and the game play is interrupted by quips, puns, asides and monty python references (which deserve their own catoegory).

Yeah, for our group, it's really disruptive as we're in a similar situation as yours. We get to play, at most, every two weeks and the sessions seem to go really quick. My observation is that the goofing off can sometimes be mitigated by having a larger group of people at the table. For our current group we have three regular players and a DM. If two of us are goofing off during the game, it disrupts the whole game. Back when we had 5 or 6 players, the game tended to focus on groups of 2 or three PCs at any one time, leaving the rest to do whatever (i.e. goof off, bathroom, or food). We got a lot done and we had fun doing it.

iwatt

First Post
It also depensd slightly of interpresonal dynamics and the characters you're playing. I'm a player in two campaigns with the same people in each. Both of my brothers are DMs in the respective games (I'm the eldest by the way). Although there is joking in both of them, the amount is completely dfifferent. Part of it is because of the tone each DM gives, but mostly it's got to do with how I relate to both of them (I'm probably the source of most of the jokes and puns :eek: ).

ThoughtBubble

First Post
I used to be more irritable about it, but slowly I've grown accepting. It depends on the game and how often I'm interrupted or the butt of jokes. My current groups are good at keeping the jokes to non-dramatic non interrupting times.

Arrgh! Mark!

First Post
As a player, I love making quips, jokes and asides - in character as much as possible.

As a DM, I don't mind jokes so much as players saying they'll do something, then they don't.

P1: I tell him that lipstick is frightening me. And I ask if he knows an elven bard named El'Ton Jon.

ME: "You dare insult me? My vast magics -

P1: Hah! Nah, I don't say that.

Me: *Sigh*

Heathen72

Explorer
Okay guys, back to the game

As a GM, I am just as guilty (if not more so) as the players of making stupid jokes, and I have no problem at all with the odd gag- they are very much a part of the role playing experience for lots of players (and one many of us would be loathe to sacrifice). But when they do disrupt the game it is up to you as GM to take command of the situation and get it back on track.

You might mention before the game that you have a lot to get through, and that you are going to try and keep the focus on the game. No need to point the finger at anyone, and definitely no need to make any threats about docking XP (I hate that sort of stuff)

When someone makes a joke, let everyone (including yourself) enjoy the laugh, but before it threatens to snowball into a series of gags you need to take command of the situation. You don't need to get nasty (don't punish the players for having a good time!) but you do need to be firm and to quickly place the focus back on the game. In your example above, it might take as little as you saying something like

''Alright, guys, Come on! - The bard emerges from the foliage, his faced flushed as he reaches the crescendo of his song. (turning to one of the players) Kevin, the orc lifts his club and swings for you head. What are you doing?''

If your players are at all reasonable, they should respond pretty well to this. In our games we enjoy a lots of jokes, but when the GM pulls the focus back on the game, we are all there.

Ah - I just realized you aren't the GM in this group. This makes it a little tricky, as it is the GM who sets the tone in a RPG. You could raise it with him (or just email him a link to this thread...)

Last edited:

Ds Da Man

First Post
I love getting together with the pals, but after awhile, 3e just got to be a "Diablo" fest. Granted we gained some younger players, and Munchkinism ran rampant. Now I would really like to have time at a ROLEplaying game. Alas, I don't know if it can be done, and its mighty hard to find D&D buddies in rural Indiana. I do love the fellows I play with, just seeking a little better game time!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads