• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Push enemy questions

maritimo80

First Post
Imagine an enemy stuck on you in front of and behind the enemy an edge(border) of a ship 1/2 coverage. If you use the action to push this enemy, what happens because behind him is an obstacle 1/2 coverage? And use the Thunderwave magic?

discosoc

First Post
I would impose a disadvantage to the shove attempt, or an advantage to the thunderwave save. Seems a bit more streamlined than asking for yet another round of checks.

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
I'd handle the shove or thunderwave as normal mechanically - no disadvantage or advantage on the rolls just because of the ship having a railing.

Where the railing or other ship bits would come into play is in the description of successfully resisting going overboard, such as a successful save against thunderwave being described thus; "The wave of force crashes into him hard, bowling him backward over the railing, but he gets a grip on the rail and drags himself back over and onto his feet."

Oofta

Legend
The rules don't cover it, so as others have said it's up to the DM.

My house ruling would be that a low railing would be fairly easy to grab onto so a DC 10 dexterity save.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
I would impose a disadvantage to the shove attempt, or an advantage to the thunderwave save. Seems a bit more streamlined than asking for yet another round of checks.
The problem with this is that you're then affecting the damage as well as the shove, where the railing should really only affect the shove portion of the spell. (It could be argued that damage should be MORE if one cannot be shoved).

Sent from my SM-G900P using EN World mobile app

Satyrn

First Post
I'd handle the shove or thunderwave as normal mechanically - no disadvantage or advantage on the rolls just because of the ship having a railing.

Where the railing or other ship bits would come into play is in the description of successfully resisting going overboard, such as a successful save against thunderwave being described thus; "The wave of force crashes into him hard, bowling him backward over the railing, but he gets a grip on the rail and drags himself back over and onto his feet."

This is what I'd do, too, since we're talking about the effect on enemies.

If instead it was a PC getting pushed and he failed and was going overboard, I'd give him a chance to use his reaction to catch the railing or something like that, although maybe only if the player thought to try to do so. Because that sounds fun and heroic.

cmad1977

Hero
This is what I'd do, too, since we're talking about the effect on enemies.

If instead it was a PC getting pushed and he failed and was going overboard, I'd give him a chance to use his reaction to catch the railing or something like that, although maybe only if the player thought to try to do so. Because that sounds fun and heroic.

Yeah. The '2nd save' only applies to heroes for me. The baddies go flying into the ocean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
Imagine an enemy stuck on you in front of and behind the enemy an edge(border) of a ship 1/2 coverage. If you use the action to push this enemy, what happens because behind him is an obstacle 1/2 coverage? And use the Thunderwave magic?
A half cover doesn't normally prevent movement, it rather can slow it by being treated as difficult terrain. Every foot of movement in difficult terrain costs 1 extra foot, including forced movement like a push or shove. So in most situation i don't see the need to have a space containing something providing half cover be anything more than difficult terrain that reduce movements. But in the event that i do and rule that the source of half cover is really impeding, i would probably impose disadvantage to the ability check or saving throw, or reduce the forced movement (up to 0) if no check is involved.

Difficult Terrain: Low furniture, rubble, undergrowth, steep stairs, snow, and shallow bogs are examples of difficult terrain.

Half Cover: A target has half cover if an obstacle blocks at least half of its body. The obstacle might be a low wall, a large piece of furniture, a narrow tree trunk, or a creature, whether that creature is an enemy or a friend.

Yan
D&D Playtester

Remove ads