• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Push, Pull, Slide and cliffs....

Azurecrusader

First Post
I'm a little unclear on whether there is a save for being pushed into a fire or blade trap or other hazard, but if it works that way why can't a creature stop itself from being pushed next to the fighter or pulled into Orcus' aura?

I think this bit may get lost in the shuffle.

On page 44 of the DMG there is information about Hindering Terrain, which does allow for a saving throw on forced movement. This brings up a lot of issues though: Is an aura hindering terrain (I think it is, and I think the rules support this...somewhere), does placing a wall of fire right ON someone count as hindering terrain (not forced movement, but still), and what about the wizard's spell Blood Pulse, does a creature get a save to NOT move at all?

Personally I have started using a rule that anything that would cause you to take damage on a forced move that you are aware of lets you make a save (so that would include Blood Pulse), but that you would not get a save for an unknown pit, or other unknown damage source.

So may possibilities! What about an aura that causes you to take damage on the start of your turn? Should you get a save to avoid being forced there in the first place? AHHHH! :)

Syrsuro

First Post
The most elegant approach (i.e. fewest rules to handle the most circumstances) would be to simply rule that a character can always choose to go prone to stop forced movement anywhere.

This makes a pit or hindering terrain a special case (a reason why they might choose to do so), and it solves the problem of why they can do it in some cases but not in others.

It still leaves open the question of what happens when attacker A forces you to the edge of the cliff (at which point you go prone) and attacker B attempts to force you over (you are already prone, so you can't 'go prone' to avoid the second push). But that is an issue with the current rules as well.

Carl

Skyscraper

Explorer
Interesting suggestion Syrsuro. I wonder in what circumstances it would be advantageous for creatures to decide to drop prone, in addition to damaging areas.

Sky

Remove ads