• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Pushing Opponents

Just curious if a character is blocking a doorway with an ally directly behind them -- what happens if a opponent uses the push action against the character. Does a) The opponents attempt to push automatically fail since there is no free area behind the character b) If the opponent is successful is the only option available to the opponent to force the character prone c) Is the character pushed back resulting in the ally also being pushed back 5ft?
x
xxxxxxxxxx
Ally Character Opponent
xxxxxxxxxx
x

Not sure if this has ever been addressed. I have been ruling that the opponent could only knock the character prone. what do you think?

Last edited:

guachi

Hero
Umm.... I don't think there is any RAW here. I'd probably have the pusher roll his shove and if the first person failed I'd have the second person roll (maybe at advantage?) and if the second person failed I'd have both move 5 feet.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
If there is nowhere to push the creature, then I think it's fine to rule that the attempt to shove automatically fails, no roll. It's good practice in my view, however, to let the player know that before he or she wastes an action on the attempt.

This is one of the situations where I would expect the DM to rule based on the circumstances. If the pushed Character is much larger than the Ally they'd be pushed into, and the push check succeeds anyway, then I would give the Ally a Dexterity save to avoid falling prone under as the Character is pushed into them. If that fails, I'd also give the Character a Dexterity or Strength save to avoid falling prone, as they stumble around their Ally who is now under them.

If the pushed Character is the same size as their Ally, or smaller, then they'd get pushed into the same area and it would be kind of cramped for them until one of them gets a chance to make space.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
The middle guy gets crushed into a thin paste by the uncaring, inexorable physics of the game mechanics.

Unstoppable force vs. immovable object with the character in between.

Game over man. Game over.

aco175

Legend
I would most likely allow the try, but with disadvantage since he is pushing 2 people now. I might also allow it to be more of a shove actin where the opponent is pushed to the wall since it is a 5ft hall. If the pushee becomes prone that the pusher can move through that space.

Bawylie

A very OK person
Need to know why they're trying to push. But my ruling would be that the effect is temporary - the pusher can clear a space for the duration of their turn only. Thereafter, the pushee retains their occupation of the space.

-Brad

The Pushee loses two size categories. Humans become Tiny, and enter the space of the ally behind them. Small PCs (kobolds, gnomes, halflings and goblins) vanish from existence.

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
Just curious if a character is blocking a doorway with an ally directly behind them -- what happens if a opponent uses the push action against the character. Does a) The opponents attempt to push automatically fail since there is no free area behind the character b) If the opponent is successful is the only option available to the opponent to force the character prone c) Is the character pushed back resulting in the ally also being pushed back 5ft?
x
xxxxxxxxxx
Ally Character Opponent
xxxxxxxxxx
x

Not sure if this has ever been addressed. I have been ruling that the opponent could only knock the character prone. what do you think?
According to the rules for Moving Around Other Creatures and the Shove attack, the creature would not be pushed back into it's ally's space because Shoving a creature is only 5 feet, and entering another creature's space is difficult terrain, and thus require an additional 5 feet to do so

If it was a greater forced movement like Pushing Attack for exemple pushing back 15 feet, then it could enter, leave or even end the movement in the ally's space since it's not a willing movement.

Shoving a Creature: If you win the contest, you either knock the target prone or push it 5 feet away from you.

Moving Around Other Creatures: You can move through a nonhostile creature’s space. In contrast, you can move through a hostile creature’s space only if the creature is at least two sizes larger or smaller than you. Remember that another creature’s space is difficult terrain for you. Whether a creature is a friend or an enemy, you can’t willingly end your move in its space.

Remove ads