• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Putting the Attributes into more focus.

volanin

Adventurer
Lately, I've been having two problems while DMing 5th edition:

1. Whenever I am DMing to players that come from other systems (usually Storyteller), they always get confused about the dual nature of the main Attributes vs. the Attribute modifiers. They don't understand why both are necessary if only the modifiers are ever used, and some get genuinely confused. And they are right indeed, since I believe the main Attributes (from 3-20) are only in the game in order to maintain the original D&D feeling.

2. Also, when I DM to new players, they quickly get the concept, but they no longer refer to they character as having Strength 18, or the classic "I want to make a Charisma 18 woman". They don't get confused as the Storyteller players, but they only look at the modifiers, losing this "time-proven classic D&D feeling". I admit to this problem being more nostalgic than functional, but I really miss it from my old games.

Anyway, I was really thinking about ditching the Attribute modifiers table and instead just writing the main Attributes on the character sheet. And then, calculate the "modifiers" by dividing the main Attribute by 2 when adding them to the D20. So instead of having modifiers going from -5 to +5, I would get modifiers going from 0 to 10. Mechanically, this would be the same range, and the game balance would be unchanged, with the benefit of bringing the main Attributes more into focus.

If I recall correctly, the only change I would have to do is to add 5 to every DC. The AC values and Spell Save DC would need no modifications at all (I would have to add 5 to the DEX limit of every armor as well, but that's it).

An extra bonus: if I want to deal with fractions, I could optionally rule that a player with Strength 13 could add 6.5 to the dice against another with Strength 12, which would add only 6 to the dice, giving the player with the "useless Odd Attribute" a small advantage in these challenges (during Grapple, for example, a tie in the D20 would rule in favor of the STR 13 player).

Am I missing something?
What do you think?

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
You are missing
1. Having to add 5 to all monster stats, constantly.
2. Weapons doing WAY more damage than they should, and PCs having way more hit points than they should.
3. Abilities like Aura of Protection or Unarmored Defense that apply multiple modifiers now are +10 instead of +5.

Honestly this does not sound at all worthwhile to me.

Stalker0

Legend
Effectively you want to make 2 changes:

1) Removing Scores and just change to Modifiers. This could be done with very little change. There are a few abilities out there that use score (like one of the high level barb abilities) but depending on your game it may never come up.

2) As 77IM mentioned, changing the range of stats would require a lot more changing. Personally I don't think its worth it myself, negative stats don't come up all that often (a -1 mostly).

volanin

Adventurer
You are missing
1. Having to add 5 to all monster stats, constantly.
2. Weapons doing WAY more damage than they should, and PCs having way more hit points than they should.
3. Abilities like Aura of Protection or Unarmored Defense that apply multiple modifiers now are +10 instead of +5.

Honestly this does not sound at all worthwhile to me.

Indeed. Point 2 is heavy in my opinion, and I was completely missing it.
Thanks for the insight 77IM and Stalker0.

Remove ads