• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Putting the Fun Back into Learning the Rules

pukunui

Legend
Hi folks,

How do I go about convincing my players to learn the rules for their characters in such a way that it'll feel less like I'm giving them homework and more like something they actually want to do?

I don't expect any of them to memorize the entire rulebook. I haven't even got the whole thing memorized myself. But I feel like the least my players could do is actually take the time to learn the small chunks of rules that are actually relevant to their PCs.

I don't mind being the one who knows all the general combat rules and stuff like that. And I've also made it easy for my players to a certain extent by giving each of them a "quick reference sheet" with the full text (including any errata or house rules) for their PC's feats and talents and racial abilities and the like.

But it would also be useful if they could take the time to read through the various uses of their trained skills and the like. And learn the basics for their PC's favored weapons (so like if they intend to throw grenades a lot, they should learn the rules for area attacks).

I understand that an RPG group isn't school, and that I can't force them to learn this stuff. That's why I'm seeking tips and strategies on how to turn learning the rules into something fun that they'll actually want to do rather than a chore that they'll just want to put off.

So how about it, folks? Anyone got anything for me?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Jonathan

Herobizkit

Adventurer
The best way to learn the rules is to Learn By Doing.

You may need to tailor a "tutorial" adventure. You'll need to teach by Show and Tell; them them what they need to do when they need to do it, explain the relevant skill/ability and how it relates to the situation, then put in a similar obstacle later and see if the lesson sticks.

Gilladian

Adventurer
I have once in a while had a player that didn't pay attention to all the rules. Unfortunately, there's not a lot you can do. Try NOT looking things up for them. When the player says "I want to toss a grenade", then say "okay - tell me how that works". DON'T immediately grab the book and look it up.

I have a player who loves to do complex and intricate things. Right now he's planning to sneak into a bandit camp disguised as a bad guy so he can slay the leader before his buddies attack. We're having a discussion about disguise and disguise spells and such, trying to work out the details. But at least he's "thinking about it".

I agree with Herobizkit.

In many popular videogames, you start with one, and only one thing you can do. You do that for a while (until the designers think the average person has "got it"), then you learn power number two.

I like the idea of a tutorial adventure. I wonder if it could be extended to "half level"....like starting the players not at level one, but at some level between zero/commoner and level one.

In 3e this would be a fighter with no feats or a wizard with one spell. In 4e it might be only having at wills, with no encounter powers or dailies.

Once they get it, they level up.

GoldieDavid

Explorer
Maybe they're not looking for a game experience that involves a lot of rules learning and trying to make them so they "do it right" will reduce everybody's fun. If you don't enjoy knowing the rules for them then maybe using a rules-light system will take the pressure off. There's a D&D derivative to meet every level of rules preference. 1E, 2E and E6 need less knowledge to play than 4E & 3E, B/X and Castles and Crusades are simpler again and MicroLite20 explores the boundaries of minimalism.

Or you could have a heart-to-heart with your players who may not understand the work required by a DM to enable their fun. If they did, they might feel like contributing a little more of their own effort.

Good Luck.

On the other hand, but still on the lines of "learning by doing"...

At the table, make them look things up rather than telling them. They'll become acquainted with the rules books, and begin to learn where the rules are, if not learning the actual rules.

If there are subtle negative effects on them for not knowing the rules (game play gets bogged down), they'll be more likely to have an incentive to learn them.

I think this is a combination of incentive and ease of learning. You've made it easier for them to learn (with the quicksheets) but you haven't given them an incentive (if you just provide them with the answer time and time again).

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
During the game, ask questions whenever an appropriate situation comes up. If a player gives the correct answer, give him/her an M&M.

You will need to purchase M&M's before the game and have at least a couple dozen questions ready.

Note: they don't get to eat any M&M's except the ones they earn.

You might have casual players who enjoy roleplaying but don't care about exploring the nuts and bolts of the rules.

A rules-light system would probably be ideal for them and require less prep work for you.

AeroDm

First Post
I think it depends on the manner in which they don't know the rules. If they are trying to use the normal rules and just aren't familiar enough that it slows the game, I think a quick chat that you'd like people to put effort into knowing their characters will be sufficient. It will still take time, mind you, but there will be a slow steady progression. On the other hand, if they are at that place where they don't know any rules and so just try creative things by responding to your cues, I'd say enjoy it. That phase ends too quickly.

Theo R Cwithin

I cast "Baconstorm!"
If the player really doesn't get it after applying the rule a few times, just make a cheat sheet.

Write the base rule in simple, bullet-point form on a sticky note to attach to his character sheet, and be sure to write a reference page number on it. Then make a duplicate for your DM screen-- two duplicates if the player is prone to losing things!

Imxp, it's not not knowing the rule that's disruptive, but rather looking up the rule and trying to parse it while grumpy players are waiting impatiently for their turns. Cheat sheets bypass all that wasted time spent flipping pages and reading.

Last edited:

Remove ads