• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pyrohydra

Infiniti2000

First Post
glass said:
Another way of looking at it:

According to the 'Attack:' line, a hydra can bite with all his heads on an attack. Since you can do anything on an AoO that you can do as an attack, for the hydra that includes biting with all the heads.

The bizare text re combat reflexes can be ignored completely.
That's not another way, that's exactly my way and the bizarre text that you refer to says as much IMO.

glass

(he, him)
Infiniti2000 said:
That's not another way, that's exactly my way and the bizarre text that you refer to says as much IMO.
It is another way.

It arrives at the same answer (which I have already pointed out is my prefered interpratation), but it gets there by a different route. One which doesn't rely as much on dodgy wording.

glass.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
glass said:
It arrives at the same answer (which I have already pointed out is my prefered interpratation), but it gets there by a different route. One which doesn't rely as much on dodgy wording.

Man Law! ;)

glass said:
Intersting that only one of your three is common with my list of three a few posts back. Seems like there are a lot of ways to interpret this.

flips back through thread Huh, I missed that and apparently yes, there are.

So for a 6-headed hydra with Dex 12:

1. Each head gets 2 AoO/round and may take them independently or simultaneously at their discretion for a total of 12 independant AoOs each round. ("each head is a monster with Combat reflexes")

2. Each head gets an independant AoO for a total of 6 independant AoOs. ("each head is a monster and Combat Reflexes is a 'place-holder' feat for the special mechanic")

3. The creature gets 2 AoO/round with all six heads attacking on each of the AoO ("all heads attack on an AoO and the creature has Combat Reflexes")

4. The creature gets 1 AoO/round with all six heads attacking on the AoO ("Combat reflexes is a 'place-holder' feat for the special mechanic")

5. The creature gets a total of 2 AoO/round but any available head can be used to make the AoO. ("heads are weapons and the creature has Combat Reflexes")

Woof. Yeah, this could do with some clarification. I can parse the sentence to mean each of those things. I think some may be more of a stretch than others but that's probably a matter of opinion.

I think for a CR4 creature, #5 is probably the right option. I must confess to thinking that a hydra should be a much tougher beastie so I like #1, but I'm also thinking that the last hydra I ran was in 3.0 and it was a much higher CR.

sjmiller

Explorer
kigmatzomat said:
I think for a CR4 creature, #5 is probably the right option. I must confess to thinking that a hydra should be a much tougher beastie so I like #1, but I'm also thinking that the last hydra I ran was in 3.0 and it was a much higher CR.
I am running a 3.0 game. The six-headed pyrohydra in question is a CR7 creature. If I remember correctly the five-headed hydra is a CR4 creature in 3.0.

frankthedm

First Post
sjmiller said:
I am running a 3.0 game. The six-headed pyrohydra in question is a CR7 creature. If I remember correctly the five-headed hydra is a CR4 creature in 3.0.
OH... 3.0 Hydra, well then maybe, "all heads strike on 1 AoO" might not be as bad. CR 4 without fast healing 10 and striking the heads counts as attacking a creature 3 sizes smaller [AC 19] rather than the AoO inducing sunder. Plus it is 3.0 20' x 20' rather than the 3.5 all huge =15'x15'. This means the hydra will be fare more cramped.

[sblock=3.0 hydra]Climate/Terrain: Any marsh and underground
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating:
Five-headed 4 (normal);
6 (pyro- or cryo-);
7 (Lernaean); or
8 (Lernaean pyro- or cryo-)
Six-headed 5 (normal);
7 (pyro- or cryo-);
8 (Lernaean);
or 9 (Lernaean pyro- or cryo-)
Seven-headed 6 (normal);
8 (pyro- or cryo-);
9 (Lernaean);
or 10 (Lernaean pyro- or cryo-)
Eight-headed 7 (normal);
9 (pyro- or cryo-);
10 (Lernaean);
or 11 (Lernaean pyro- or cryo-)
Nine-headed 8 (normal);
10 (pyro- or cryo-);
11 (Lernaean);
or 12 (Lernaean pyro- or cryo-)
Ten-headed 9 (normal);
11 (pyro- or cryo-);
12 (Lernaean);
or 13_(Lernaean pyro- or cryo-)
Eleven-headed 10 (normal);
12 (pyro- or cryo-);
13 (Lernaean);
or 14 (Lernaean pyro- or cryo-)
Twelve-headed 11 (normal);
13 (pyro- or cryo-);
14 (Lernaean);
or 15 (Lernaean pyro- or cryo-)
Treasure: 1/10 coins; 50% goods; 50% items
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: -
Magical Beasts
Three special kinds of hydras-the Lernaean hydra, the pyrohydra, and the cryohydra-are magical beasts rather than beasts. They have all the same characteristics and statistics blocks that ordinary hydras have, and in addition they possess special abilities.
Combat
Hydras can attack with all their heads at no penalty, even if they move or charge during the round.
A hydra can be killed either by severing all its heads or by slaying its body. To sever a head, an opponent must hit the monster’s neck with a slashing weapon and deal damage equal to the hydra’s original hit point total, divided by its original number of heads, in one blow. (The player says where the attack is aimed just before making the attack roll.) For example, if a five-headed hydra has 52 hp, a single blow dealing 10 or more points of damage severs a head (52 / 5 = 10.4, rounded down to 10). Any excess damage is lost. A severed head dies, and a natural reflex seals the neck shut to prevent further blood loss. The hydra can no longer attack with the severed head but suffers no other penalties. A severed head regrows in about a month.
Skills: Hydras receive a +2 racial bonus to Listen and Spot checks, thanks to their multiple heads.
Feats: A hydra’s Combat Reflexes feat allows it to use all its heads for attacks of opportunity each round.
Lernaean Hydra
The only way to slay a Lernaean hydra normally is to sever all its heads. However, each time a head is severed, two new heads spring from the stump in 1d4 rounds. A Lernaean hydra can never have more than twice its original number of heads at any one time, and any extra heads it gains beyond its original number wither and die within a day.
To prevent a severed head from growing back into two, at least 5 points of fire or acid damage must be dealt to the stump (AC 19) before the new heads appear.
Spells such as disintegrate, finger of death, and slay living kill a Lernaean hydra outright if they succeed. If the spell deals damage on a successful save, that damage is directed against one of the hydra’s heads.
Pyrohydra
These reddish hydras can breathe jets of fire 10 feet high, 10 feet wide, and 20 feet long. All heads breathe once every 1d4 rounds. Each jet deals 3d6 damage per head. A successful Reflex save halves the damage. The save DC is 10 + 1/2 hydra’s original number of heads + the hydra’s Constitution modifier.
Fire Subtype (Ex): Fire immunity; double damage from cold except on a successful save.
A pyrohydra may also be of the Lernaean form.
Cryohydra
These purplish hydras can breathe jets of frost 10 feet high, 10 feet wide, and 20 feet long. All heads breathe once every 1d4 rounds. Each jet deals 3d6 damage per head. A successful Reflex save halves the damage. The save DC is 10 + 1/2 hydra’s original number of heads + the hydra’s Constitution modifier.
Cold Subtype (Ex): Cold immunity; double damage from fire except on a successful save.
A cryohydra may also be of the Lernaean form.[/sblock]

Attachments

• hydra stat block.gif
    hydra stat block.gif
    19.3 KB · Views: 92

geosapient

First Post
Nail said:
Nor do I.

My question: ....points to the reason. Saying "I can use my greatsword for attacks of opportunity" means the same thing as "I can use my greatsword for an attack of opportunity".

A hydra’s Combat Reflexes feat allows it to use all its heads for attacks of opportunity.
A fighter's Combat Reflexes feat allows him to use his greatsword for attacks of opportunity.

No difference.

A monk considers any limb as a weapon... So, Combat Reflexes feat allows him to use all his limbs for attacks of oppurtunity.

Edit: Out of curiosity... what is the face / reach of a hydra?

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads