• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Q on Scarred Lands

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Single best? Nothing yet until I do my Scarred Lands Revised Campaign Setting.

But I would ask this: are you asking as a player or a DM?

enrious

The Divine and the Defeated.

Truly no one book does it - there's nothing equivalent to the FR Campaign Setting, so you have to get bits and pieces from each book.

That said, The Divine and the Defeated is probably the best introduction to the setting and tone, in lieu of an actual book that does this.

Twowolves

Explorer
There is nothing wrong with the Ghelspad Gazeteer for a quick, all fluff intro to the main continent, and it was only $7 or so. The Campaign Setting: Ghelspad is a bigger hardcover book that goes into more detail on that continent, and is only about 90% fluff.

Other than those two, the Divine and Defeated and almost any one of the Player's Guide books are my next choices. There is a surprising ammount of great background material in those, the only drawback being their narrow focus.

Nightfall

Two,

Well they are Player's Guide to classes, not to the Scarred Lands. They just happen to be very Scarred Lands oriented.

Nightfall said:
Single best? Nothing yet until I do my Scarred Lands Revised Campaign Setting.

But I would ask this: are you asking as a player or a DM?
Honestly? Probably neither in the long term, since my group mostly plays Greyhawk with a bit of Eberron on the side and isn't super interested in branching out. I asked because at one of my FLGSs, both the Ghelspad and Termana hardcovers are on sale for $5 CDN, along with some of the other class books and stuff. I dig settings, so if they're interesting reading I'd be willing to drop $5 on one of them easy.

KoOS

Nightfall

Seeten,

I disagree about Termana sucking. It's a good book. In fact it's better than Faithful and Forsaken.

If this is for your own interest, then yes get the Termana HC and the Ghelspad HC as well. As I don't know what else is available from your FLGS, I can only say this: Don't get Penumbral Pentagonal as it sucks. Faithful and Forsaken is alright but confusing.

If you are just curious,

I'd Recommend Creature Collection 3. (The Best of the lot & 3.5).

You have bits & pieces of SL Lore distributed throughout to give you a feel of the setting.

And, if you don't like that, you still have an extra source of Monsters to kill players with.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads