• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Q'Barra: Into the Emerald Forest

P0L

Explorer
Old Borden, Human male Clr4

[sblock]
Devian Borden
Old Borden

Human male, Cleric 4 of the Sovereign Host
Alignment: Neutral Good
Languages: Common, Halfling, Celestial
XP: 300

Str 6 (-2)
Dex 9 (-1)
Con 8 (-1)
Int 14 (+2)
Wis 19 (+4)
Cha 16 (+3)

Action Points: 7

HD 4d8-4 (hp 19) Current: 19

Initiative: -1
Speed: 30 .......... [base 30, light armor]

AC 15 ... [base 10, +5 armor, -1 dex, +1 deflection]
- Touch 10 ........ [base 10, -1 dex, +1 deflection]
- Flat Footed 15 .. [base 10, -1 dex, +1 deflection]

Saves: Fort +3, Ref +0, Will +8

BAB +3, Grapple +1

Attacks:
- Quarterstarff +2 melee (1d6-2, bludgeoning 20x2)
- Crossbow +3 ranged (1d8, piercing, 19-20x2, 20 ft.)

Skills:28

+6 Concentration ......[7 ranks, -1 con]
+10 Diplomacy ..........[7 ranks, +3 cha]
+9 Knowledge(religion).[7 ranks, +2 int]
+1 Knowledge(history)..[1 rank, +2 int]
+5 Heal................[1 rank, +4 wis]
+5 Craft (woodworking).[1 rank, +4 wis]
+6 Sense motive (cc)...[2 ranks, +4 wis]

Feats:
- Scribe scroll
- Sacred Boost
- Extra turning

Turn undead: 9
10/day, 60ft
check: 1d20+3
damage: 2d6+7

Domains:
-Sun (greater turning 1/day)
-Healing (+1 CL healing spells)

Spells:
5/4+1/3+1

Lv0 (DC 14) 5
Cure minor wounds, Guidance, Detect magic, Light x2

Lv1 (DC 15) 4+1
Bless, Cause fear, Sanctuary, Shield of faith + Endure elements

Lv2 (DC 16) 3+1
Bears endurance, Hold person, Zone of truth + Heat metal

Posessions:--------------------->5345gp

Chain Shirt +1...................1250gp
Mwk Quarterstaff / Holy symbol....300gp
Ring of protection +1 ...........2000gp
Mwk light crossbow................335gp
Bolts x30...........................3gp
Cloack of resistance +1 .........1000gp
Wand of cure light wounds x30 ....450gp
Pocket knife........................2gp
Backpack............................5gp
-Waterskin
-Bedroll
-Rations x2
-Flint/Steel
-candles
-writing tools and parchment

Treasure:
5gp

Background:
Devian is a neutral good cleric of the Sovereign host.
When he was younger he served in the war, fighting against the Karranthi
(that's why he hates undead) but he was always in support,
healing the wounded -a thing he's always had a knack for.

For 30 years he's been content with being a small town cleric,
helping refugees and people fleeing from the fronts.
He never wanted profit and will heal anyone who needs it.

Now that the war is finally over, he intends to fullfill a
promise made to a halfling friend who died in his care, to
find out what happened to his family, a young dragonmarked
halfling of house Jorasco with a wife and infant son who
dissapeared in one of their travels 20 years ago.

For the last two years Devian has been joining bands of adventurers
and honing up his skills, he discovered that he enjoys life on the
road and adventure makes him feel younger.

Appearance:
Tall and thin, Old borden has weathered olive skin. He is completely bald, but keeps a short and thick white beard he usually strokes while thinking.
His green eyes look intelligent and happy.

He wears loose priest robes, tied by a sash on the waist from which the silver holy symbol of the Sovereign host hangs. Underneath the robes a fine chain shirt can be seen.
Borden uses a quarterstaff bound with mithril and with an embedded holy symbol as a focus for his power, walking aid and ocassional weapon. When he travels he hangs his crossbow and a small backpack on his back.

Personality:
Old borden is wise and kind. He has seen a lot of good and bad in the world, and since the days of the war he dedicated himself to selflessly help those in need. He is a positive fellow, always in a good mood. He preaches the Host's teachings but is no fanatic, he accepts that many are faithless or neglect their worship, Borden hopes that by his acts of good he will set an example and win them over.

He doesnt tolerate liers and is a very good judge of character.

You can always find with him a small pocket knife that he uses to carve wood when he has time, and candles for a nightly prayer.

He prays for spells and guidance at night before sleeping or first thing in the morning. He prefers praying at night for spells of a more agressive nature.
[/sblock]

On the walk to the hotel Borden tells the warforged of how he came seeking employment in a party as a healer. Eventually they realize that they are both working with the same party, at the same hotel.

ooc: I'm anxious to have all the party joined, so may we just skip to the reunion so we can move on?

doghead

thotd
'he has no name' warforged warrior

The warforged is reticent about giving details about the job he has contracted to do, but eventually he acknowledges that they both seem to have taken employ with the same person.

The warforged had planned to spend the last night in town with his dog. Perhaps looking over the harbour, or perhaps in under the old maple tree. However, he agrees to accompany Boden to the hotel and introduce him to the others. It is the least he can do.

"There is food there. And the beds have silk sheets. So I am told."

The warforged raps lightly on the door to the rooms. He glances down at the plate to confirm these are indeed the correct ones.

Yeoman

First Post
Hey, I think Sanae, Xavier, and Erin are all asleep, so Eff Flat would have to open the door, so if he's not back yet should we just fast forward to the morning?

Urko

First Post
The journey begins

Agreed. And Tailspinner seems to be MIA - I'll NPC him for a few days and if we don't hear from him I'll look for a replacement player to assume the part. Let's assume that Borden came in late in the night, went to sleep without speaking to anyone (except maybe Eff Flat) and left before everyone else got up (seems like older people always get up at the crack of dawn ;)). In your reactions to the departure sequence, please bear in mind that most of you will also be meeting Borden for the first time.

One final note - I'm in a play that's opening this weekend, so if my posts are a little sporadic over the next couple days, please bear with me.

The sun is shining brightly and a brisk breeze carries the scent of the hordes of orange taelfir blossoms crowding the banks. Most of the boats are already out; fisherman plying the waters where the river meets the sea, patrol boats keeping a watchful eye for carnivorous dinosaurs and other aquatic dangers, and even a few pleasure craft.

Calabas waits for you at the entrance to Pier Six, leaning against the railing. He is dressed less formally than yesterday, although still all in black. He wears a simple short-sleeved shirt, knee breeches, and sandals, capping it all with a wide brimmed safari hat, which he tips in greeting. ”Good morning! Slept well, I hope? Shall we get this journey underway?” He leads you to the end of the pier. ”All aboard Kolbek’s Pride!”

The boat is a broad, rectangular shape, about ten feet wide and twice as long. It’s flat-bottomed and only the slight rounding of the front end and moderate angling of the prow give it any streamlining at all. The most prominent feature is a two-armed, dragonshard-studded wooden construction with loops on each end, mounted on a swiveling boom at the stern of the vessel. Erin recognizes it as the containment structure of an elemental ring, similar to those used on airships, although the elemental itself is dormant at the moment. There is an elevated chair in front and just to the left of the boom, from which the pilot can change the ring’s angle and direction. The area immediately in front of the pilot’s chair is open and about half full of carefully roped-down crates and barrels. At the front of the boat are four benches for passengers, two on each side. Poles support a green and yellow striped canopy that covers the entire length of the boat.

Calabas is in high spirits as the party boards. ”This is a prototype of the river runners the Orien couriers use - perhaps you have seen them? This particular vessel is a bit larger than the ones the House of Passage finally settled on, and not quite as fast. Still, the entire trip will not take more than eight hours or so. We should arrive at the plantation in time for dinner.” Once you are all seated and your gear is stowed, Calabas climbs up to the pilot’s seat. He places his left arm into an intricately carved cradle attached to the seat and wraps his hand around a smooth black stone that protrudes from the hand rest.

The armature assembly shudders as the dragonshards along its length, carved into the shape of binding runes, begin to glow from within. Vague, misty shapes coalesce within the two loops and stretch out to join together and begin rotating, forming a ring of turbulent air about fifteen feet in diameter. As the ring picks up speed it is accompanied by the sound of an increasingly violent gale. Calabas shouts over the din. ”If you think this is bad, just wait until we get up to full speed!” Grasping the steering stick with his right hand, he angles the ring slightly upwards and the boat slowly backs away from the pier. Once clear, Calabas releases his grip on the black stone, then regrasps it. The elemental ring halts briefly, then reverses direction. Kolbek’s Pride lurches forward as it picks up speed while Calabas maneuvers into open water. The noise of the elemental ring rises until it seems as if a hurricane is propelling you. Soon you are past the city and outlying fields and dwellings and there is nothing but unbroken jungle racing past on both sides.

P0L

Explorer
Old Borden, human male CLR4

[sblock]
Devian Borden
Old Borden

Human male, Cleric 4 of the Sovereign Host
Alignment: Neutral Good
Languages: Common, Halfling, Celestial
XP: 300

Str 6 (-2)
Dex 9 (-1)
Con 8 (-1)
Int 14 (+2)
Wis 19 (+4)
Cha 16 (+3)

Action Points: 7

HD 4d8-4 (hp 19) Current: 19

Initiative: -1
Speed: 30 .......... [base 30, light armor]

AC 15 ... [base 10, +5 armor, -1 dex, +1 deflection]
- Touch 10 ........ [base 10, -1 dex, +1 deflection]
- Flat Footed 15 .. [base 10, -1 dex, +1 deflection]

Saves: Fort +3, Ref +0, Will +8

BAB +3, Grapple +1

Attacks:
- Quarterstarff +2 melee (1d6-2, bludgeoning 20x2)
- Crossbow +3 ranged (1d8, piercing, 19-20x2, 20 ft.)

Skills:28

+6 Concentration ......[7 ranks, -1 con]
+10 Diplomacy ..........[7 ranks, +3 cha]
+9 Knowledge(religion).[7 ranks, +2 int]
+1 Knowledge(history)..[1 rank, +2 int]
+5 Heal................[1 rank, +4 wis]
+5 Craft (woodworking).[1 rank, +4 wis]
+6 Sense motive (cc)...[2 ranks, +4 wis]

Feats:
- Scribe scroll
- Sacred Boost
- Extra turning

Turn undead: 9
10/day, 60ft
check: 1d20+3
damage: 2d6+7

Domains:
-Sun (greater turning 1/day)
-Healing (+1 CL healing spells)

Spells:
5/4+1/3+1

Lv0 (DC 14) 5
Cure minor wounds, Guidance, Detect magic, Light, Purify food and drink

Lv1 (DC 15) 4+1
Bless, Cause fear, Sanctuary, Nimbus of light* + Endure elements

Lv2 (DC 16) 3+1
Curse of ill fortune*, Hold person, Delay Poison + Heat metal

*: Complete Divine

Posessions:--------------------->5345gp

Chain Shirt +1...................1250gp
Mwk Quarterstaff / Holy symbol....300gp
Ring of protection +1 ...........2000gp
Mwk light crossbow................335gp
Bolts x30...........................3gp
Cloack of resistance +1 .........1000gp
Wand of cure light wounds x30 ....450gp
Pocket knife........................2gp
Backpack............................5gp
-Waterskin
-Bedroll
-Rations x2
-Flint/Steel
-candles
-writing tools and parchment

Treasure:
4gp

Background:
Devian is a neutral good cleric of the Sovereign host.
When he was younger he served in the war, fighting against the Karranthi
(that's why he hates undead) but he was always in support,
healing the wounded -a thing he's always had a knack for.

For 30 years he's been content with being a small town cleric,
helping refugees and people fleeing from the fronts.
He never wanted profit and will heal anyone who needs it.

Now that the war is finally over, he intends to fullfill a
promise made to a halfling friend who died in his care, to
find out what happened to his family, a young dragonmarked
halfling of house Jorasco with a wife and infant son who
dissapeared in one of their travels 20 years ago.

For the last two years Devian has been joining bands of adventurers
and honing up his skills, he discovered that he enjoys life on the
road and adventure makes him feel younger.

Appearance:
Tall and thin, Old borden has weathered olive skin. He is completely bald, but keeps a short and thick white beard he usually strokes while thinking.
His green eyes look intelligent and happy.

He wears loose priest robes, tied by a sash on the waist from which the silver holy symbol of the Sovereign host hangs. Underneath the robes a fine chain shirt can be seen.
Borden uses a quarterstaff bound with mithril and with an embedded holy symbol as a focus for his power, walking aid and ocassional weapon. When he travels he hangs his crossbow and a small backpack on his back.

Personality:
Old borden is wise and kind. He has seen a lot of good and bad in the world, and since the days of the war he dedicated himself to selflessly help those in need. He is a positive fellow, always in a good mood. He preaches the Host's teachings but is no fanatic, he accepts that many are faithless or neglect their worship, Borden hopes that by his acts of good he will set an example and win them over.

He doesnt tolerate liers and is a very good judge of character.

You can always find with him a small pocket knife that he uses to carve wood when he has time, and candles for a nightly prayer.

He prays for spells and guidance at night before sleeping or first thing in the morning. He prefers praying at night for spells of a more agressive nature.
[/sblock]

Borden looks at the waters rushing past the side of the boat. He likes his new companions, so young and full of life. But this "prophecy" business they talked him about seems ominous. He has to admit that there are eerie similitudes between the ancient texts and the current group. Well, the Host's will be done. It's is a fine day for now. He turns around and scans the deck looking for any one of his companions while he toys with a peculiar piece of wood he picked up from his adventures in the park last night, weighing the small chunck with a trained craftsman's eye..

Harvey

First Post
OOC: FYI tailspinner said he would be away for a while, tho he said he'd be back by this past Monday. He hasn't posted in my game yet either... so I'm hoping it's just a delayed return.

Oh, and I would like to back-petal a bit for some flavor, if'n y'all don't mind ;)

Erin awakes at the hotel, quite grateful that the rest of her night were not haunted by nightmares. As always, she gets ready by carefully examining her gear. She sees the others begin to wake, and greets them accordingly, also making sure that Eff Flat made it through the night no worse for wear.

"Good morning, Calabas! While not the best of nights, it was not because of our luxurious accomodations. Many thanks for the stay. Oh, and we were expecting a package from DiCorso's... has it arrived? Sanae also has all of our receipts and the such, as well as the change."

When stepping aboard the Kolbek’s Pride, she admires its craftsmanship. If anyone asks, she excitedly explains the workings of the elemental vessel. She thinks to herself "One day, I will be able to bind elementals such as these into my works... One day..."

As the boat prepares for launch, she notes her unnamed warforged friend, and greets him. "Why, hello! I was afraid you wouldn't make it!" She bends down to let the wardog sniff her hand. "And how you doing, boy? Haven't seen you in a while..." It is then she notices the stranger standing behind he-has-no-name. "Oh, a new friend. And who might you be, stranger?"

Last edited:

doghead

thotd
'he has no name' warforged warrior.

*** that night in the hotel ***

'he has no name' greets the warforged known as Eff Flat warily. In the name, in the instruments he sees something he has seen before in his fellow warforged; the adoption of a soft folk passion. Part of him envies them the sense of meaning they have found, part of him sees it as a weakness, a doomed attempt to be something they are not.

While the warforged first instinct is to leave once he had seen Boden introduced to the others, eventually he decides there is little to be gained by returning to the streets at this point in the night. But the hotel make him uncomfortable. Soft. Cloying. Cluttered. He feeds the hound from the remains of the food on the table, a better meal than it has had in a long while. A better meal than some of the people in the city have ever had, the warforged suspects. He works, seated on the floor of the main room, on the damage inflicted by the kobold spell caster. Finally, after collecting up his tools and returning them to their case, he retires to the small balcony for the night. Silk sheets are not for him, but the thick wool blanket off his bed does nicely for the hound.

*** the next morning ***

The warforged nods to Erin.*

"This is Boden. He is the number six."

*** at the harbour ***

The warforged leads the hound onto the boat. He has given up on trying to convince it to return 'home'. The warforged takes a seat in the bows in his usual place - on the floor. The hound collapses against the warforged. As the elemental ring starts to fire up, the hound opens its mouth to begin to howl. The warforged is ready for him and clamps a hand across the animal's muzzle.

ooc: *Hey Harvey, hhnn has had the hound as long as he has been in Q'barra, so Erin would know it well. Boden, however, is a new friend.

P0L

Explorer
As my suscint friend has stated, I'm Number Six.. also known as Devian Borden, or just Old Borden, as I was called in my town. Pleased to make your acquaintance says the smiling old to Erin man saluting with an elaborate reverence.

My trade is the healing of the body and the guidance of the soul. I'm a humble servant of the Most Exalted Sovereign Host.

Harvey

First Post
OOC: Oops, sorry doghead. Purposely wasn't following your half of the thread (since I wouldn't know abou the fight "in game"), and didn't realize he was here all along :) Retconned my post above to reflect the change.

Erin's eyes grow wide as Borden introduces himself. "I.... I'm sorry... did you say you were a cleric of the Sovereign Host?" "An aged servant of the divine, finding youth in adventure" pops into her head. She looks bervously to Sanae and Xavier. "Why, nice to meet you, Borden." She regains her composure before offering introductions. "I am Erin, an artificer formerly of House Cannith. This is Sanae, a champion of the Silver Flame, and Xavier, a warrior from fallen Cyre. And the copper-tinted warforged over yonder is Eff Flat, a musician by trade. We've all been hired by Calabas for this job, though some of us have known each other previously."

"Now, if you have a free moment, Borden, we'd like to fill you in on something... and you too, o nameless one..." she says as she gestures to he-has-no-name. Unless Sanae or Xavier do something to prevent her, Erin will first make sure Calabas is bust steering the vessel, huddle the group together, and recount their meeting with Aldinis.

Pebele

First Post
As the group huddled together Sanae made her formal introduction to Borden. "As Erin said, I am Sanae Jarnell and I serve the SIlver Flame. She can better fill you in on the details of last night, she is much better with words than I."

Sanae outwardly seemed unaffected by Borden's introduction as a servant of the Divine Host, but inwardly she was having a bit of difficulty reconciling it.

We've met the sixth member, it appears to be going as Aldinis said. I shall have to keep my wits about me. THere is sure to be trouble ahead.

"Erin, if you don't mind, let us give our companions only an overview of the night's events. There are only six involved in this business, after all."

Remove ads