• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Q'Barra: Into the Emerald Forest

Yeoman

First Post
What is she thinking? Returning Erin's glance Xavier mouths "I'll do my best"

I can't believe I'm going to do this... Xavier gathers himself mentally for a moment and then yells "Sanae stop what you are doing and get back here. We've been as accommodating as we can be. Now you can either search her behind the rest of us while we have our backs to you both or you will get off our boat, willingly or not. Oh and as for not trusting government, you're wrong. I never had a problem with the crown, only the bureaucrats."

Urko

First Post
Negotiations break down

For a moment after Xavier's outburst, everything falls silent. The soldiers look to their leader for guidance. With a patently false smile, Kajalaketh says, "So be it. You have made your choice." There is a bright flash of light and suddenly one of the archers is standing in Kajalaketh's place, who is now on the deck of the patrol boat. "Kill them," he shouts. "Kill them all!"

Now would probably be a good time to roll for initiative.

To clarify matters a bit, here is a diagram of Kolbek's Pride:

|_|A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
01|%|%|%|%|%|%|%|%|%|%|%|%|%|%|%|%|%|%|%|%|%|%|%|%|_|_|
02|
_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|
03|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|*|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|*|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|
04|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|*|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|*|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|
05|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|*|b|b|b|b|_|b|b|b|b|*|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|
06|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|*|b|b|b|b|_|b|b|b|b|*|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|
07|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|*|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|*|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|
08|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|*|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|*|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|
09|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|*|b|b|b|b|_|b|b|b|b|*|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|
10|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|*|b|b|b|b|_|b|b|b|b|*|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|
11|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|*|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|*|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|
12|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|*|@|@|_|_|_|_|_|@|@|*|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|
13|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|*|@|@|_|_|_|_|_|@|@|*|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|
14|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|*|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|@|@|*|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|
15|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|*|@|@|_|_|_|_|_|_|@|*|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|
16|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|*|@|@|@|_|_|_|_|_|@|*|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|
17|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|*|@|@|@|_|_|_|_|@|@|*|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|
18|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|*|@|@|_|_|_|_|_|@|@|*|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|
19|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|*|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|*|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|
20|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|*|@|@|@|_|r|c|c|_|_|*|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|
21|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|*|@|@|@|_|r|c|c|_|_|*|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|
22|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|*|*|*|r|r|r|*|*|*|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|
23|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|r|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|
24|_|_|_|_|_|_|r|r|r|r|r|r|r|r|r|r|r|r|r|r|r|_|_|_|_|_|
25|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|
26|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|

1 square = 1 foot

% = side of patrol boat
* = side of boat
b = bench
@ = cargo
c = pilot chair
r = elemental ring assembly

Sanae is standing at the front of the boat, center. The rope ladder is right in front of her and the deck of the patrol boat is about three feet above her head. Erin is on the front bench on the left side, Borden on the right. In the area between the benches is the archer, standing where Kajalaketh was just a moment ago. Xavier is standing on or in front of the rear left bench, Eff Flat is sitting on the rear right. ‘He has no name is just behind Xavier, in the cargo area. The other three soldiers are clustered in the center of the cargo area. Calabas is to the right of and partially beneath the pilot’s chair.

Anyone in the second row of benches or further back has concealment from everyone in the patrol (because of the canopy) and vice versa. Because of the tigt quarters, any attempt to use anything larger than a light, one handed weapon will be at -2 to hit.

Last edited:

Yeoman

First Post
Heh, I guess I'll never be a diplomat.
Initiative 10

Xavier reshoulders his bow, and draws his blade and heads toward the rear of the Kolbek's Pride. Xavier shouts to rear of the boat "Calabas, get us away from that boat, now!"

Last edited:

Urko

First Post
Note on combat

Everyone can post in whatever order they make it to their computers and I will sort it out in an end-of-round summary. So when you post your initiative, feel free to go ahead and state what you will be doing.

Pebele

First Post
Initiative 16

Sanae scowled as the peaceful negotiation broke down and battle started, but she did not hesitate in reacting to the situation. She muttered quietly to herself, "In the name of the Silver Flame, I draw my strength..." as she drew her geat sword and moved towards the nearest soldier, attacking as soon as she was able.

Sanae draws her weapon as she moves in to position near the closest target, then attacks.
attack roll: 23 (I forgot to add the +1 from Borden's Bless spell, making the roll 16+7, not 6. my apologies.
If the attack is successful it will do 7 damage

Last edited:

Harvey

First Post
Erin

OOC: Initiative 1.

Erin is a bit stunned as she watches everyone leap into action. Her first instinct, however, is to protect her friends. Looking about, she notices Eff Flat in a sticky situation. Knowing from her previous examination of the warforged that he would not last long against a barrage or arrows, she moves to Eff Flat's side and places her hands on his chest. Her hands glow as she weaves an infusion into Eff Flat's copper frame.

OOC: Move Action: move to Eff Flat's position. Standard Action: infuse Eff Flat with Toughen Construct infusion, causing his AC to go from 14 to 16. BTW, I am assuming that, since there is an archer in between the benches with a bow drawn that he does not get an attack of opportunity on Erin.

doghead

thotd
'he has no name' warforged warrior

ooc: Initiative (8)

When Kajalaketh disappears to be replaced by the (somewhat startled?) looking archer, the final piece slots into place and realisation comes crashing down on the warforged.

It is the ancient enemy!

The ones he was forged to do battle with. His old masters were never very forthcoming with specifics. The ancient enemy were always spoken of in quiet tones, and often indirectly. But the warforged is still annoyed at himself for not putting it together more quickly. There is, he is reminded, so much that he does not know.

But right now there are more pressing matters to attend to. The warforged turns to face the solders clustered in the center of the cargo area, stepping towards the center to put himself between the soldiers and his companions.

The hound backs up a step, his head down, growling.

ooc: (Edited to reflect below - it wasn't hhnn that was confused, it was his dog). Will manifest Precog Defense (1 pp, std, 4 min) if possible. Concentration Check (25) to suppress display. Defend the others behind him. Hound will do also. He has only a short spear, so I'm hoping it won't be a problem - lots of thrusting goodness.

Last edited:

Urko

First Post
Note about the patrol boat crew

Although the distinction may be lost on ‘he nas no name,’the soldiers are Riedran, just like Kajalaketh. Soldiers of Q’Barra wear a different sort of uniform (incorporating the 5 colors and crown of the flag). Riedra has supplied troops to Q’Barra to help repel lizardfolk attacks and, apparently, to assist with patrol duties. This is fairly common knowledge. The sailors, on the other hand, are Khorvairan.

Round one summary as soon as Borden posts his actions.

P0L

Explorer
Old Borden, human Clr4

[sblock]
Devian Borden
Old Borden

Human male, Cleric 4 of the Sovereign Host
Alignment: Neutral Good
Languages: Common, Halfling, Celestial
XP: 300

Str 6 (-2)
Dex 9 (-1)
Con 8 (-1)
Int 14 (+2)
Wis 19 (+4)
Cha 16 (+3)

Action Points: 7

HD 4d8-4 (hp 19) Current: 19

Initiative: -1
Speed: 30 .......... [base 30, light armor]

AC 15 ... [base 10, +5 armor, -1 dex, +1 deflection]
- Touch 10 ........ [base 10, -1 dex, +1 deflection]
- Flat Footed 15 .. [base 10, -1 dex, +1 deflection]

Saves: Fort +3, Ref +0, Will +8

BAB +3, Grapple +1

Attacks:
- Quarterstarff +2 melee (1d6-2, bludgeoning 20x2)
- Crossbow +3 ranged (1d8, piercing, 19-20x2, 20 ft.)

Skills:28

+6 Concentration ......[7 ranks, -1 con]
+10 Diplomacy ..........[7 ranks, +3 cha]
+9 Knowledge(religion).[7 ranks, +2 int]
+1 Knowledge(history)..[1 rank, +2 int]
+5 Heal................[1 rank, +4 wis]
+5 Craft (woodworking).[1 rank, +4 wis]
+6 Sense motive (cc)...[2 ranks, +4 wis]

Feats:
- Scribe scroll
- Sacred Boost
- Extra turning

Turn undead: 9
10/day, 60ft
check: 1d20+3
damage: 2d6+7

Domains:
-Sun (greater turning 1/day)
-Healing (+1 CL healing spells)

Spells:
5/4+1/3+1

Lv0 (DC 14) 5
Cure minor wounds, Guidance, Detect magic, Light, Purify food and drink

Lv1 (DC 15) 4+1
Bless, Cause fear, Sanctuary, Nimbus of light* + Endure elements

Lv2 (DC 16) 3+1
Curse of ill fortune*, Hold person, Delay Poison + Heat metal

*: Complete Divine

Posessions:--------------------->5345gp

Chain Shirt +1...................1250gp
Mwk Quarterstaff / Holy symbol....300gp
Ring of protection +1 ...........2000gp
Mwk light crossbow................335gp
Bolts x30...........................3gp
Cloack of resistance +1 .........1000gp
Wand of cure light wounds x30 ....450gp
Pocket knife........................2gp
Backpack............................5gp
-Waterskin
-Bedroll
-Rations x2
-Flint/Steel
-candles
-writing tools and parchment

Treasure:
4gp

Background:
Devian is a neutral good cleric of the Sovereign host.
When he was younger he served in the war, fighting against the Karranthi
(that's why he hates undead) but he was always in support,
healing the wounded -a thing he's always had a knack for.

For 30 years he's been content with being a small town cleric,
helping refugees and people fleeing from the fronts.
He never wanted profit and will heal anyone who needs it.

Now that the war is finally over, he intends to fullfill a
promise made to a halfling friend who died in his care, to
find out what happened to his family, a young dragonmarked
halfling of house Jorasco with a wife and infant son who
dissapeared in one of their travels 20 years ago.

For the last two years Devian has been joining bands of adventurers
and honing up his skills, he discovered that he enjoys life on the
road and adventure makes him feel younger.

Appearance:
Tall and thin, Old borden has weathered olive skin. He is completely bald, but keeps a short and thick white beard he usually strokes while thinking.
His green eyes look intelligent and happy.

He wears loose priest robes, tied by a sash on the waist from which the silver holy symbol of the Sovereign host hangs. Underneath the robes a fine chain shirt can be seen.
Borden uses a quarterstaff bound with mithril and with an embedded holy symbol as a focus for his power, walking aid and ocassional weapon. When he travels he hangs his crossbow and a small backpack on his back.

Personality:
Old borden is wise and kind. He has seen a lot of good and bad in the world, and since the days of the war he dedicated himself to selflessly help those in need. He is a positive fellow, always in a good mood. He preaches the Host's teachings but is no fanatic, he accepts that many are faithless or neglect their worship, Borden hopes that by his acts of good he will set an example and win them over.

He doesnt tolerate liers and is a very good judge of character.

You can always find with him a small pocket knife that he uses to carve wood when he has time, and candles for a nightly prayer.

He prays for spells and guidance at night before sleeping or first thing in the morning. He prefers praying at night for spells of a more agressive nature.
[/sblock]

[size=-1]Borden stands, shocked by the violence exploding around him

When he comes out of it, he points the Qarterstaff towards the captain:

May the Powers curse you with a fortune as rotten as you intentions!!

ooc: Initiative 3
- Cast "curse of ill fortune" on the enemies leader
- I'll post an action later, after I see how the others react, I suppose I'm last
- Remember Borden casted "Bless" on the party a while ago
- I'm working offshore, 10hs a day or more, so my posting will suffer
- No idea why the text is green, sorry.
[/size]

Last edited:

Urko

First Post
Conflict on the river, round one

Sorry for the delay, everyone – closing weekend of my play. Much more time now that it's over!

Although Sanae was no doubt braced for treachery, it is Eff Flat who is first to react. He stands to face the three soldiers in your boat, crooning softly and gesturing with one of his beloved dagger flutes, which whistles in the air in accompanyment. Two of the soldiers immediately slump into unconsciousness. The third, the one who switched places with Kajalaketh, appears to be made of sterner stuff. He fires his bow at Xavier as the scout pushes past, but the arrow clatters uselessly against Xavier’s mithril shirt. Calabas seems oblivious to Xavier’s urging and continues to huddle in terror by the pilot chair.

Meanwhile, Sanae, driven by righteous fury, has vaulted onto the deck, surprising the massed archers there. One of them falls before her blade before he can even turn to face the threat. Kajalaketh looks furious, and more than a little scared, as he backs away towards the bow of the boat. Both Sanae and Borden can see a faint shimmering glow suddenly appear around him. The four archers nearest Sanae take a step back and fire at nearly point blank range. Their panic at her onslaught is evident in that only one arrow finds its target, lodging itself firmly in Sanae’s leg. They drop their bows and draw their scimitars. The rest of the archers fire at Borden, the only target they can see. Their shots all fly wide of their marks. Borden, unshaken by the arrows whizzing around him, calls upon the Sovereigns to curse his enemy. There is no apparent effect. The crew of the boat moves to the other side, out of the range of combat, but seems to be making no moves to help either side.

The remaining soldier in your boat drops his bow and draws his sword, taking a step towards Xavier. ‘he has no name’ steps into the soldier’s path and silently calls on his powers to give him insight. Everyone is far too distracted to react to Erin, so she has no trouble reaching Eff Flat. The warforged’s plates temporarily thicken under her infusion.

Initiative Order
Eff Flat 16
Sanae 16
Kajalaketh 12
Xavier 10 (higher DEX)
Soldiers 10
‘he has no name’ 8
Borden 3
Erin 1

Sanae takes 8 HP damage. I don’t see the spell Borden was casting on his list of memorized spells – let me know at the beginning of the day if you’re going to change from that default configuration. My apologies if you already did – I admit I didn’t go back to check.

At the end of the round, ‘he has no name,’ and Eff Flat more or less have the single conscious soldier surrounded. Xavier is behind 'he has no name,' right next to the pilot's chair. Erin is behind Eff Flat and Borden is still in the bow of the boat. Sanae is surrounded by four archers on the deck of the patrol boat (new map later today, time permitting).

Remove ads